Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch/flywheel

cooper12000

hi all i am thinking about getting my clutch changed at the same time as the engine sorted. my car is a 2.0 advensis desil does it have a dual mass flywheel???

if so why do i need to change it at the same time as the clutch or is it one of thoese while ya there u might as well change it things???

coop

Yes it does have DMF and if the car has done over 50k miles then it may be wise to change the complete assembly. You should only get charged for the parts as the clutch will be coming off anyway.

It sounds to me like this car you bought is becoming a financial nightmare for you!

Pete.

it is!!!! but im trying to look on the brightside..... that i hopefuly can get a brand new engine etc so in the end i will of bought a bargin.... ie a brand new advensis for what i paid for one with 90k on the clock.

my oly other recourse would be to go back to the dealer and insist on my money back because im fairly sure he wouldnt bother with the toyota warrenty and would bodge the repair with second hand bits. just could do without the hassle of that but if it comes to it ill have to.

coop

sorry ment to ask.....why does one change the flywheel at the same time?

coop

The dmf is a wearable item

It does the job a bit like the sprung friction plate on a conventional clutch

Usually you know if it needs changed as it can rattle about at low revs

Its a dear part sometimes £500+ and i usually dont change it if it isnt rattling and i also check the movement isnt excessive

There is a set amount of degrees for each dmf but as a rule of thumb i mark the pressure plate and a tooth on the ring gear and if it moves over more than 3 teeth i will probably change it.

Its just a gamble as you cant tell how much life is in it

Is there not a solid flywheel conversion for these cars?

Also to note if doing a conversion. The dmf soaks up torque to remove stresses from gbox etc but ive never heard of problems from a solid flywheel conversion cause

he damping is put into the conventional sprung friction plate

Do somebody knows how to check my Avensis D-4D (77K miles) DMF without disassembling? I mean what are the symptoms when it needs to be changed? Somebody mentioned noise appears by low revs. Is it when car starts moving or later?

just guessing but from what i have read from the link pete gave and robsters reply i would guess its as ur setting off cos thats where the inital lash would come from but could be compleatly wrong. im sure someone will be able to correct me if i am

coop

Moving off from junctions and exiting roundabouts etc you will hear the rattle.

and indeed if in too high a gear with the engine labouring

Also switching off engine when engine stops you will get an after bit of lash if you know what i mean

Try listening to any transit tdci they are famous for dmf rattle but if noise and vibration doesnt bother you you can run them almost indefinately

As for checking in place it depends on each gearbox having. Inspection plates or removal of starter if you can get in to mark pressure plate and a tooth to measure by putting engine in 1st gear and rocking car back and forth.
This way you may also just be able to hear the dry slack springs

If it aint broke dont fix it i say

Only my opinion but ive been there and threw parts on cars whilst stripped on a just in case basis.

Then wish i hadnt when im getting skint at the end of the month

Then i sell car and cant put the price of these parts on the sale

If it aint broke dont fix it i say

Only my opinion but ive been there and threw parts on cars whilst stripped on a just in case basis.

Then wish i hadnt when im getting skint at the end of the month

Then i sell car and cant put the price of these parts on the sale

Just my opinion Robbie but Cooper's car has 90K on the clock and he has had enough trouble with it already so with him getting a new engine fitted FOC I think it would be a wise investment to change the clutch & DMF whilst it's in Toyota and just pay for the parts, I doubt he will sell the car after all that has been done but i could be wrong.

The other point to remember is that you and I may take a chance on this as we would be able to fix it ourselves in the future, not everyone can.

Best regards

Pete. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

lol i have no intention of selling the car at all however if i get much more trouble i might threaten it with a box of matches lol (just joking) i am capable of changing a clutch etc myself the only issues i have is lifiting the box in and out as i dont have a ramp and im a bit of a weed as long as i have a manual and plenty of time to figgure stuff out im faily adept at most things. Only thing i wont touch is susspention and cv joints that grease stinks and i manage to get it everywhere,

coop

youll need to touch them to do your own clutch lol

i ment the boots and actualy taking the shocks out the coils unless it has a "camber bolt" in wich case id go get it all checked after.

coop