Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sr180/t180 Guys - How Many Miles On A Tank?

Beags

Ive done 125 miles, mainly around town in traffic. I am one bar over half full now. Was expecting a little more....does the gauge fall slower beyond half way? If its accurate, Im only going to get about 300 miles on the tank? I see its a 55 litre tank. My previous car was a 2.5V6 Mondeo. That had a 58 litre tank, and in the same driving condtions managed 230miles before the low fuel warning light came on....

That's about the amount I get from my tank bud. I'm only doing 27mpg. I do town driving and the odd longer distance. Oh and I got a heavy right foot lol. They ain't the best on fuel at all. Even on a run u will struggle to get 45mpg

I might clean out the EGR when the weather warms up....heard that helps...

On my Auris when the fuel light comes on there is approx 2 gallons (about 9 litres) of fuel left in the tank. I can easily get 400 miles out of a tank short or long trips - but this is with the trip computer displaying a range of zero for a long time - it is very over optimistic.

I never use my fuel gauge, I always go by how many miles I've driven since it's last been full tanked. I usually top up after 350 miles regardless of what the fuel gauge is indicating. I'll usually manage to fill up 41-45 litres into the tank which equates to roughly 34-36 MPG.

Yeah, the 180's don't have a good rep for fuel economy, but to be fair they aren't marketed as economical cars despite them being diesel.

It'll get a bit better as the weather warms up, but short and start-stop town driving is worst-case for diesels and can cut their mpg in half.

You can try some alternative driving techniques; I find all that advice about gentle acceleration to cause higher fuel use on diesels with strong torque characteristics; On my Yaris, accelerating harder to get into the higher gears faster then letting it coast off-power but in gear uses less fuel than gently climbing through the gears and holding it at that speed on-power.

Developing a good sense of timing can also save a lot of fuel; I tend to leave a bigger gap in front of me in traffic so I don't have to start-stop so much and just roll through letting the gap absorb the start-stop of the car in front.

A nice trick I like on my morning commute is if the traffic isn't too heavy, I can usually cruise through all the traffic lights at a lower speed without having to stop rather than hitting 40mph then being forced to brake and accelerate.

These engines can take a lot of torque abuse so you can run them in higher gears at a given speed than you'd normally do in a petrol; There is a caveat tho' - DMF's.

The DMF suffers a great amount of stress at low RPM, esp with the more powerful engines like the 180's, which can cause early failure so ironically you can't use as much torque abuse as us folk with SMFs and lower-torque dervs.

You can replace a DMF with a SMF, but the transmission won't be as beefy as it would have been if the SMF was originally part of its design, so the low RPM torque pulses may damage the transmission over time :(

I'm still trying to figure out the best driving style for the car and I'm struggling. When I'm not booting it I tend to change into 4th at 30mph. Does anyone else do this or is it better to stick to 3rd. If u drop to 29 or 28 it wants u to down gear but I ignore it and carry on in 4th. What gear do u use at 30 40 50 and 60? I always let it get up to temp before I rev over 2.5k but I usually change at 2k under normal driving. Do you think there could be something wrong with my car if I'm getting 27-28 mpg?

Hi I have just done a 206 mile motorway journey today on the M6 and have an indicated 43mpg average over the journey. I don't hang around when I can. Return journey was very mixed driving although never coming to a complete stop for long I did end up in the near side lane at 50 - 60 mph for a good few miles. This is the sweet spot for SR180s as regards fuel consumption - I rarely use cruise control unless in average speed cameras!

I have been experimenting for a while and the hard accelerate and back off to a lower speed method does seem to work - constant speed driving doesn't seem to work for either economy or boredom.

For generally motorway work I can get 450 miles plus before the fuel light comes on and have still around 5 litres left.

Best summer mpg I have seen over a 200 mile plus journey is around 46 reliably with just under 50 as an all time best.

I have had my SR for nearly 4 years and 52,000 miles and it hasn't had a pampered life originally being on the Toyota press fleet and entered by Redline Magazine in the 2008 Toyota Sprint Series and featuring as the car Tunit used to develop their SR tuning box ( although no longer fitted).

As a motorway workhorse it is a really effective tool with a good balance of power and reasonable economy. Back lane handling is so so but I guess I was spoiled by my last Subaru Forester which handled really well.

Pete

So you reckon the best mpg is achieved from 50 to 60? What gear are you using at that point?

Thanks for all the feedback guys, much appreciated . Im driving mine fairly hard, when traffic allows. That mid range pull is phenominal fun isnt it! I was hoping for more that 300 on a tank though, compared to the V6 Mondeo which managed 250ish. Admittedly the small tank would allow about 20miles from the figure I guess... It will be interesting to see what that fuel gauge does after the half way mark...with the Mondeo,,,, the second half of the tank always disappeared quicker than the first half! My car has done 75K, but had a full engine replacement in Oct 2011 as part of the warranty. I phoned up North Herts Toyota, after finding a letter from them to the previous owner confirming the new engine number....they said something about a certain number of engines drank oil way too much and Toyota replaced the engines. So the engines actually done 18K ish...but obviously the turbo, clutch etc etc is older. I will be fitting a new K & N Panel filter ( this did improve the fuel economy a little on the old Mondy - about 4bhp on a rolling road for the geeks lol) at the same time I will clean out the EGR (great post on here about that) - seems like thats a real fuel saving/power gaining job worth doing. But I have to wait for this !Removed! cold weather to pass...not a job for frozen fingers! Could be another couple of weeks they say :(

I'm still trying to figure out the best driving style for the car and I'm struggling. When I'm not booting it I tend to change into 4th at 30mph. Does anyone else do this or is it better to stick to 3rd. If u drop to 29 or 28 it wants u to down gear but I ignore it and carry on in 4th. What gear do u use at 30 40 50 and 60? I always let it get up to temp before I rev over 2.5k but I usually change at 2k under normal driving. Do you think there could be something wrong with my car if I'm getting 27-28 mpg?

For me I usually adhere to the minimum speeds/gears when cruising

3rd - 30mph

4th - 40mph

5th - 50mph

6th - 60mph

My fuel gauge - although I don't use it I do notice it!

Last half of the gauge disappears much faster than the top half. The first bar goes after about 90 miles, and the final bar before the fuel light comes on lasts about 30-40 miles. Weird ey!

At a steady 50 mph I would be in 5th gear as has been said 60 mph is pretty much minimum for top gear.

Pete

Might try leaving it in 3rd at 30. I suppose there will be less strain on the engine so might be better on fuel if it revs a little more? I cleaned my egr but it had a new one a year ago before I got it so it was clean ish to be honest. I cleaned the maf sensor too. Made it abit more responsive but nothing else. I know town driving is not good for fuel economy but I'd like to try to get the best I can.

Well I don't know if this is useful since I have a completely different car, but if I'm following another car away from traffic lights I'm usually in 4th gear at 20mph before I've gotten to the other side of the junction :lol:

If I'm at the front tho', I'm usually going for acceleration so 1, 2, 3 to 30mph then 4th and cruise back.

Normal cruise gears for me are 20-35mph in 4th and 35+ in 5th, although that's at the limits and assuming flat road and I'm not in a rush. I normally don't drop it into 5th until I'm doing 40+ just to avoid straining the engine too much. Obviously hills and gradients changes things a lot :)

Hmm well Im one bar above half way with 150miles on the clock now....will I get 300 on a tank? We'll see I guess...

I usually get around 420 mls from a tank (with 2 bars left). That varies depending on how cold it's been or how heavy the traffic's been on my commute.

I just checked it, currently 37.5 mpg so about 340 miles a tank. But it varies. I've been driving very carefully lately.

With my 'normal' pace it would be around 35-36 mpg ~> 320 mi.

Hi, all. I´ve had my Auris 2.2 D-cat for some six month now. So my experiences are only here in Finland with minus degrees Celsius.

First I´d like to say this car is not for those eco-diesel fans. There´s honestly no point buying a D-CAT and then start complaining about the mpg when there are lots of really economical diesels available. Especially in UK where the cars might be the cheapest on Earth. You can double the price up here, but that´s off-topic.... take MINI Cooper 1.6D for an example. thats economical.

What 2.2 Auris gives is something else, it IS economical considering what one can get out of it. the torque and power are exceptional.

Roughly my mpg on dodgy and harsh Finnish roads have been everything between 50mpg -5,8l/100km- (when driving long distances) and 30 - ~10l/100km - when driving in the city. All this without a hint of a plus degrees Celsius. You can imagine i´m expecting to get even better mpg during the summertime. We have to use winter tyres here, which isnt good for the mpg.

Cleaned the EGR in January. no difference in the mpg really but the car goes smoother and somehow seems to sound a bit healthier. and boy was it dirty!

post-128898-0-58614100-1364800596_thumb.

Oh yes

Hi, all. I´ve had my Auris 2.2 D-cat for some six month now. So my experiences are only here in Finland with minus degrees Celsius.

First I´d like to say this car is not for those eco-diesel fans. There´s honestly no point buying a D-CAT and then start complaining about the mpg when there are lots of really economical diesels available. Especially in UK where the cars might be the cheapest on Earth. You can double the price up here, but that´s off-topic.... take MINI Cooper 1.6D for an example. thats economical.

What 2.2 Auris gives is something else, it IS economical considering what one can get out of it. the torque and power are exceptional.

Roughly my mpg on dodgy and harsh Finnish roads have been everything between 50mpg -5,8l/100km- (when driving long distances) and 30 - ~10l/100km - when driving in the city. All this without a hint of a plus degrees Celsius. You can imagine i´m expecting to get even better mpg during the summertime. We have to use winter tyres here, which isnt good for the mpg.

Cleaned the EGR in January. no difference in the mpg really but the car goes smoother and somehow seems to sound a bit healthier. and boy was it dirty!

attachicon.gifauris2.jpg

Thanks. Oh Yes, I agree about not expecting too much - I was a bit concerned though that there wasnt going to be much difference between this engine and my 2001 2.5V6 Ford Mondeo - which would have been silly. Thankfully I have hit nearly 200 miles now and the tank is showing half full, so Ive definitely made bought a more frugal and cheaper to run car....that has a lot more fun factor and performance!

attachicon.gifauris2.jpg

That's exactly what I wanted to say, I was just too lazy to type it down. :P 8 liters per 100 km isn't much for a performance nearly 180 hp... My neighbor says, his 170 HP TDi Passat never goes over 6 liters/100 km, mostly below 5. I simply don't believe it, or he must be driving like a grandma... :)

the MPG varies everytime i drive the car.... one time i was trying to save fuel and sat at 55/60 slip streaming everything for 100 miles or so on the motorway and only got 44mpg!...

just last friday however i went down to taunton with my sister and i brimmed the tank... it went through 3 notches to do 300 miles, still displaying 180 miles to empty... and got an average of 49.1mpg... this was a wide variety of driving between 50-70 on the motorway and a lot of stop start plus a vew country lanes....

on the journey back the motorway was empty so i squeezed the throttle a little more... after a 20 quid fill up just to get me home and got 43.5mpg which i was happy with :) I reckon if id really... really pushed it and been brave and slow i may of done the whole 550 mile journey on a tank but didnt want to risk it!

I have managed to get 515 miles before the fuel light came on but then i fill the tank right up to the cap etc... as long as i get 43+ mpg im happy ;).... i see it as if i owned a cliosport/cooper s/corsa vxr which is what i was looking at id be getting a lot less then that and wouldnt be travelling in as much comfort :D

• 3 weeks later...

over the last few month's my MPG had been steadily dropping down to about the 33 mark,not unusual going by some of the posts

so as I,ve had the car a year and it was comming up to 10,000 miles I gave it a service,all i can say is WOW mpg today on a mixed

run of dual carriageway and town driving of about 100 miles returned and average of 43.9 more than 200 miles covered and still on the second bar !! result :clap:

My last tank lasted really well I did 430 miles on 37.5 litres - probably a all time best !

I still had around 80 miles indicated range left and average mpg was indicated as 48.3 mpg.

I had done two motorway trips totalling 412 miles with the rest commuting around town.

It just proves what you can achieve when your not particularly in a hurry with your SR180!

However prolonged motorway work at 55 - 70 can be quite boring so a good burn every now and again does make you feel better.

I don't use cruise control except in average speed camera routes and also accelerate briskly getting into top ASAP and then backing off to the desired cruising speed and try and plan ahead backing off the throttle rather than braking.

Having owned the car for over 4 years and 53,000 miles in my ownership current mileage 65k means that I have finally learnt how to drive the thing reasonably economically.

The payback is that I don't feel guilty when I thrash the nuts off it and surprise a few other cars with my grandad Auris.

Pete

UPDATE

Since my last post in this topic (I reported ~37 mpg) I've done a general spring maintenance on the car. I cleaned the EGR, washed the K&N panel out well, reset the ECU, put the 225 Contis back on.

My mpg went up to an avg. of 45.5! :clap: Once it even reached 51.2, driving very carefully. I'm surprised because ever since I've had it, it was always below 40... despite cleaning EGR, etc. regularly. So I dunno what happened, but I'm very very happy with it now! :laughing:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links