Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It Had To Happen Ad Engine

battleaxe

My tail of woe, bought the rav last august with under 16000 mile on an 09 plate, cleand the egr, in went the GB244, running a treat, but over the next 5000 in used 3lt of oil, so queried this twice while in for recalls and really felt fobbed off, this week it went in for a service at my local mr t's service completed the guy on the reception comes up, his whole demeanour had changed, the tech said you have a knock on start up as well as an oil consumption problem, it turns out the engine had been overhaul at 11000 mile at another outlet, new updated pistons + whatever, would I like them to do the same again or 3/4 engine fitted, of course I've opted for the replacement over local rebuild, so I now have a courtesy car till sorted, one thing that I was not happy about was paying for the service after all the problem was there in the first place, but at the end of the day I'm grateful they, toyota are toeing the line on my behalf, here hoping!!!!!!

B-A aka Geordie

Hi George, I had my engine replaced 3 months ago and its been fine up to last week when I had all sorts of warning lights. This turned out to be the EGR valve which apparently hadn't been cleaned with the engine replacement. I suggest that you get this done or do it yourself and you shoudn't have any further trouble.

You made the right choice in getting the new engine rather than a rebuild.

Regards, Rich.

Well that answers a new member's question of last few days re any mileages to avoid Geordie......overhauled at 11k miles must have been fun for the previous owner, and now a new engine for you. Cannot believe you were asked if you would prefer ANOTHER rebuild though as opposed to new engine !!!

Big Kev.....HNE.....Happy Next Easter...? Nah.....Happy New Engine !,

I would want to know why it was overhauled at 11k and as usual, engines that have been fiddled with are rarely successful.

I would want to know why it was overhauled at 11k and as usual, engines that have been fiddled with are rarely successful.

Wise words ..I know this to be true from personal experience. :fear:

Very very rare for a modern engine to fail at 11k.

Hi all, got the Rav back today, re-manufactured engine, asked the man on the service desk where the paper work was, i.e new engine number so I could inform the DVLA? "you don't get one, Toyota see to the paper work, you don't get a new log book for an engine change" anyone know if this is correct?

anyway to be on the safe side and my sanity I've take a 24 month Toyota warranty out, the boss and I both love everything about the Rav and will probably keep it well beyond the 2yrs if all goes well.

B-A aka Geordie :D

You do need to inform the DVLA of the new engine number. It was on my no cost invoice from RRG Macclesfield that it was my resposibility to inform them by amending the log book, and sending off to Swansea. I then received a new log book with the changed engine number.

As above you do or should get a new engine number which should be changed on the V5.. I asked for and got a copy of works carried out and keep this along with the service records and history of the car...

been into dealers this morning and have sorted the engine number, guy informed me they would send details to mr T who would send me all the info in the post. if the eng. no. go in order the remanufactured unit is 142944 before the engine it replaced

B-A aka Geordie

been into dealers this morning and have sorted the engine number, guy informed me they would send details to mr T who would send me all the info in the post. if the eng. no. go in order the remanufactured unit is 142944 before the engine it replaced

B-A aka Geordie

Sorry Geordie the above post has confused me... You dealer should have given you the new engine number when you picked up the car.. Dealer will also give you a copy of the invoice they will submit to Toyota to get paid if you ask for one. This you can keep along with the service history of the car to prove the job has been done if ever you decide to sell as I believe this will be a question asked but any prospective purchaser in the future...

HTH.

hopefully all will come in the post, I have a dealer stamped with compliments slip with the statement in writing "engine replaced under warranty on the 26/03/2013 new engine no. 111728". will wait and see if anything turns up, if not will post this slip off and see what happens.