Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying A T3-S D-4D

aliamin

Hi there, I am about to purchase a 2005 55reg avensis t3s d4d. Its a high miler 150k. Well looked after. Can someone tell me more about this model and what to look out for and what to avoid? Will be using this car as a taxi in birmingham.

I have a 2001 vvti 2 litre at the moment, drinks oil like a fish but has been pretty bombproof for the last 5 years. Thanks for any help

Hi there, I am about to purchase a 2005 55reg avensis t3s d4d. Its a high miler 150k. Well looked after. Can someone tell me more about this model and what to look out for and what to avoid? Will be using this car as a taxi in birmingham.

I have a 2001 vvti 2 litre at the moment, drinks oil like a fish but has been pretty bombproof for the last 5 years. Thanks for any help

its a hatchback, manual , new pads and discs all round, new egc valve.

Also can someone let me know what the average mpg and bhp is on this model.

drinks oil like a fish? what kind of fish do you have? lol

ive got a 53 plate t3-s

good motor with the 1cd ftv engine(cambelt model) (116bhp) nice and torquey low down but just runs out of puff in 5th gear ( that wont bother a taxi mainly about town)

my brakes were done along with clutch and timing belt just before i got it at 77k miles.

its the most reliable of the diesels IN MY OPINION but not the quickest.

if i get the wife to stop using the car im going to do a trial egr blank off tomorrow. to see if any engine management lights come on.?

the 55 plate may have a newer engine with a cam chain maybey??

nice big boot space in the hatch

the common things i have heard so far in my short ownership are

boot lock rattle due to needing adjustment

engine undertrays falling down/off

short brake pad and disc life

the odd scv fault

egr valve cleaning

headlight dipped beam poor light projection due to refractor lense becoming less effective over time

later engines issue with carbon scoring/stamping resulting in an extended recall to replace engine if required/warrantied

others will probably add to this list but i think ive hedged my bets wisely getting this car as i can do all the wee silly things as a preventative maintenance.

• Like 1

Cheers robster, im going to view it on tuesday, how can i tell if the engine is going?

Hello guys.

ryt ali my kind of post.

please click on the links I provide:

http://www.toyota.co.uk/vs2/oldpdf/04/AV3_63_over.pdf

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/138591-sticky-about-each-model/

55 reg: borderline of a 1cd-ftv cast iron block & a facelift 1ad-ftv aluminium.

If unsure if it has indicators on the wing mirrors its probably a facelift unless someone has changed. 5 gear box is old one 6 speed is new one.

I bought mine at 140k.

engine rattling- most like to be aircon pump this can bypassed by fitting a belt from a avensis without aircon. unless you want to pay over £300 for a new pump.

headlight bulb holders can melt, will need replacing.

make sure its had regular oil changes especially if facelift model as its chain cam.

should of cambelt replaced at 120k.

bonus if clutch has been done.

if clutch is very stiff, will need new clutch master cylinder dealer only part, and slave cylinder.

make sure you take it for a test drive so you can check all gears, have heard of some popping out of 5th.

facelift model- head gasket issue check for white spots on engine, make sure temp goes to halfway- check coolant is full.

If I think of anything else Ill let you know.

• Like 1

Thats more like it. Keep em coming. Hows yours to drive now? Whats the mileage now? Its not facelift model, does this mean its got timing belt instead of chain? Its not a turbo is it? Sorry for all the questions, but better safe than sorry.

yes will have belt. yes it will be a turbo diesel. you not thought about the octavia?

I have always had toyotas. This will be my third avensis in a row, my last one was a 2 litre vvti, Y reg. its got 280,000 miles on the clock and still strong. If i can get that much out of a petrol engine, than should get at least as much out of a diesel? What do you reckon?

I have been thinking about either Passat tdi, skoda octavia or skoda superb tdi's. what can i say, toyotas have been good to me.

looks like you have been good to toyota aswell, not long ago there was a taxi driver on here from manchester he bought a passat too many problems he sold it then was looking for advice on here for a avensis.

the corolla upto 2007 shares the same engine as avensis, but not many about from private sellers.

Wow 280,000 on a petrol, thats serious miles. I've often heard people say the petrol vvti engines don't last as long as the old 7a-fe but you can't ask for more then that kind of mileage.

Thanks for all the help guys. Picking the car up monday. Fingers crossed its not a lemon

Thanks for all the help guys. Picking the car up monday. Fingers crossed its not a lemon

I'm not sure I'd buy one in lemon lol

Hello guys time for an update.

Bought the car, engine management lights on. Havent plugged it in yet to get a code,

Flats spot in power over 2k revs. Have serviced oil, plugs and filters. I am planning to clean the egr, putting BG244 in the fuel tank. Has any got a pic or link for SCV valves. As always, help and advice would be great. Thanks

Hello guys time for an update.

Bought the car, engine management lights on. Havent plugged it in yet to get a code,

Flats spot in power over 2k revs. Have serviced oil, plugs and filters. I am planning to clean the egr, putting BG244 in the fuel tank. Has any got a pic or link for SCV valves. As always, help and advice would be great. Thanks

Hello, I've put some info on the other EGR cleaning post above. (or maybe below now) LOL.

Pete.

Another update. Have cleaned the egr and replaced. It wasnt that dirty and hasnt made any difference. I took off the mass air flow sensor, connected to the air filter, looks old and corroded. Should i replace it? Or can i try spraying it with some electrical contact cleaner as a cheaper first option? Also whats the price on a new one?

The fault codes were

P0108 manifold absolute pressure/ barometric pressure something.

P1251 turbo regulator.

The problem is now the car is flat powerwise. Struggles to go past 40, takes a lifetime to get to 60 even after dropping gears. Have ordered bg244. What do i do now? Where do i start?