Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange Noises From The Rear Sr180

Beags

Ok, another thing Im a little bit worried about. 2 distinctly different noises:

1. Going round a bend, occasionally a series of slighly knocking noises...I thinking multi-link suspension joints?

2. A slight whurring noise from the rear....higher in pitch the faster I go....could be wheel bearing/s but sounds more from the transmission / middle part of the car...

I don't have either of these noises - regarding the knocking noises you could pop into your local Toyota Dealer for a free visual safety check however I'm not sure how in depth they go when checking the wear and tear parts of the suspension. Another option could be your local kwik-fit type garage who should be able to check all bushes and joints for free? Either way I hope you get it sorted and keep us updated!

I have a very slight whirring noise at low speeds sometimes- 20mph and under. I've put this down to my winter tyres as my summer tyres don't make the noise. If you suspect the rear wheel bearings, if I remember correctly when the noise is present, if one pulls the handbrake up slightly and the noise disappears it could may well be the one of the rear bearings.

Has your car been in for the recall check on it's rear suspension John ? If you don't know about it, it's making sure the rear suspension is torqued to the right tolerances (after an alignment adjustment for example). If the check has already been done, then I'd have a look at bushes & bearings as suggested.

Im not aware of the recall on the rear suspension Paul....

At least it rules out that possibility then ......... :)

probably a long shot,but have you got a non standard aerial fitted. as ive said in another thread i get a strange noise from my shorter aerial at speed that i thought was bearings ?

Hmm Im not sure what the standard one looks like. My one is fairly short unobtrusive thing with a wire going around it, colour coded...

thats not the original aerial mate.why dont you take it off and go for a drive, see if the noise is still there ?

Have the inner edges of the rear tyres worn evenly? Seen it before where they wear like castle turrets and this causes a noise similar to wheel bearings

Alex

• Like 1

The whirring noise I had from the back was the tyre type the OEM Dunlops were noisy, switching them to the front (only had the two Dunlops on the back) moved the noise and replacing with Michellin removed the noise. What rubber do you have on the back. As for knocking noise on turning I'm having a drive shaft replaced today but the sound is somewhat different to that from suspension noise.

The whirring noise I had from the back was the tyre type the OEM Dunlops were noisy, switching them to the front (only had the two Dunlops on the back) moved the noise and replacing with Michellin removed the noise. What rubber do you have on the back. As for knocking noise on turning I'm having a drive shaft replaced today but the sound is somewhat different to that from suspension noise.

Hmm thats interesting. I occasionally get a twisting series of small knocks on cornering (either direction, not all the time) It sounds like little links all moving slightly. The noise Im getting could be the drive shaft, it sounds central towards the rear. higher and louder the faster you go, not really noticeable below 30mph. Its not the tyres, no signs of wear

Drive shaft wouldn't sound from the rear, it would be in the footwells in the front if the outer CV joint was playing up. I spent ages looking into the droning sound on mine, taking calipers apart, cleaning and greasing them and the pads, cleaning hub/disc interface, checking bearing movements but all it took was changing tyres to remove the drone. My tyres has no sign of wear, it wasn't a wear issue but a tyre contruction type one, not all tyres are born equal regarding noise characteristics.

Its like wheel bearings....will get those checked 1st I think. GEaring makes no different to the pitch

• 3 weeks later...

Have the inner edges of the rear tyres worn evenly? Seen it before where they wear like castle turrets and this causes a noise similar to wheel bearings

Alex

Alex...it was exactly this! Thank you!