Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strengths Of A Hilux

rambler

Hi all

Am caught in a dilemma,my trusty '52' plate D4D Rav4 has 120'000 miles on the clock,has had new DMF,SCV's ,VSV cleaned,EGR cleaned in the last 40'000 miles...now possibly either a worn out turbo or split hose...somewhere.

Do you Hilux owners have the same issues with the same year vehicle,I assume if you have the 2.5 D4D engine ,and all these other valves attached ?

OR.......is the Hilux generally built stronger all round and just does'nt get all these issues ?

I know they are used all over the world in very inhospitable places because of the build,as is the Landcruiser family.

Or do ALL toyotas from same age suffer from these issues.

if its the same 2.5 as in the hiace it is very reliable

we used to run them in our work till 280k and sell them on for strong money

no replacement of any of these parts on any of our vans

probably never needed to clean egr valves due to employees never needing to think about driving economically and constantly getting high revs to keep intake clean.

the odd clutch / ignition barrel / rear axle torsion bush/ front drop links were changed along with the usual tyres and tbelt/ filters

if its the same 2.5 as in the hiace it is very reliable

we used to run them in our work till 280k and sell them on for strong money

no replacement of any of these parts on any of our vans

probably never needed to clean egr valves due to employees never needing to think about driving economically and constantly getting high revs to keep intake clean.

the odd clutch / ignition barrel / rear axle torsion bush/ front drop links were changed along with the usual tyres and tbelt/ filters

Ah ha !.

Thanks for reply Rob,are you saying that the D4D engine likes to be driven harder,i do poodle around at 40-50 quite a lot,but on main roads i do at least 70-80 .....as most do these days.

And i cummunte 10 miles each days to work and back,then around 50 to 100 miles most weekends....if not more.

Cheers for the info anyway.

Hi all

Am caught in a dilemma,my trusty '52' plate D4D Rav4 has 120'000 miles on the clock,has had new DMF,SCV's ,VSV cleaned,EGR cleaned in the last 40'000 miles...now possibly either a worn out turbo or split hose...somewhere.

Do you Hilux owners have the same issues with the same year vehicle,I assume if you have the 2.5 D4D engine ,and all these other valves attached ?

OR.......is the Hilux generally built stronger all round and just does'nt get all these issues ?

I know they are used all over the world in very inhospitable places because of the build,as is the Landcruiser family.

Or do ALL toyotas from same age suffer from these issues.

I`m sure you know Toyota diesels aren`t unique to those problems Jamie, but the Hilux is a lot better than most.

The 3.0 d4d had some injector issues but the 2.5 d4d wasn`t affected.

I love mine but if your thinking of getting one bear in mind that although they drive well for a truck they aren`t like a car to drive.