Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Add-On Dab For Standard Radio

hj29

Hi everyone,

Thinking of adding a DAB radio to my iQ. I don't have the Sat Nav option, so it's the standard built in radio.

I have trawled through all of the add on DAB radios and the best I've found is the Pure highway 300di (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_910735_langId_-1_categoryId_265865).

I would like to attempt to install it myself, however for a Novice car DIY'er I fear it might be a bit too much.

Has anyone attempted this or seen anything similar to this on the iQ?

I understand Halfords can fit these for you, but as the radio is built in I wonder if it is possible to use the auxiliary input at the back of the radio (if it has one). I also worry where they would fit the large controller, as many have this under their glovebox or in their dashboard, however due to limited space this is not possible.

Just wondering what everyones opinion on the radio is and whether anyones seen this attempted elsewhere.

Thanks again,

hj29

The Pure Highway 300Di got a reasonable review in Which? From memory Halfords used to sell a DAB adapter made by Sonichi which acted in a similar way to an FM transmitter for mp3 player, whereas the Highway does use the aux input. Reviews are good on the Halfords site. You could also consider the Pure Highway (around £70 from Amazon) that, like the Sonichi, uses a vacant FM channel.

The thing is using a spare channel on the FM band in a city is difficult finding a spare 200khz channel. Counting yesterday, i found 42 pirate stations. Not all on frequency some splattering into adjacent channels. By far for me is using a smart phone with a payg sim on giffgaff as it has unlimited data for £12/ month. Then you dont have the limited Dab channels, but 1000's of every type you can imagine, plus you dont have to have a Dab aerial fitted and it can be bluetooth or aux input. Of course, just my opinion as its the method i use plus being able to play all your own music

David

It may be possible to fit the head display unit in the facia between the gear stick and the cup holder where i have fitted my tyre pressure sensor display. Coiuldnt easily find the size dimensions for it

David

DAB - Digital Audio Broadcasting. A digital radio standard developed in Europe. Radio stations are broadcast digitally instead of on analogue channels (AM, FM, etc). Provides improved features for users, more stations, better reception (depending on DAB coverage), and less interference from pirate stations.

The only thing I don't like about with DAB is if you go in to a weak signal area you loose total reception, I prefer to have a bit of FM static and still be able to hear the radio channel being broadcast, than total silence.

Just something to consider?

We have something here that sounds similar, HD Radio. It's broadcast on side frequencies and sounds much more clear. It does have much more limitations though with signal strength.

Thanks for replies everyone. Did not know DAB was not a universal term. Seems there is probably a global issue with Digital radio i.e. signal strength and the current technology is still, for the most, in development.

Am still worried about all the wires with the pure highway (also known as Alpine Ezi DAB), even though it gets fantastic reviews.

The Pure Highway 300Di got a reasonable review in Which? From memory Halfords used to sell a DAB adapter made by Sonichi which acted in a similar way to an FM transmitter for mp3 player, whereas the Highway does use the aux input. Reviews are good on the Halfords site. You could also consider the Pure Highway (around £70 from Amazon) that, like the Sonichi, uses a vacant FM channel.

Thanks for info. Did consider the pure highway that goes onto the windscreen, but think that I would get fustrated with constantly taking the unit on and off to prevent it being stolen, so this would not be for me. Its just the fitment with the 300i that worries me! WIth any other radio I would not be worried but with the intergrated one on the iQ I dont know if its more hassle than its worth.

The thing is using a spare channel on the FM band in a city is difficult finding a spare 200khz channel. Counting yesterday, i found 42 pirate stations. Not all on frequency some splattering into adjacent channels. By far for me is using a smart phone with a payg sim on giffgaff as it has unlimited data for £12/ month. Then you dont have the limited Dab channels, but 1000's of every type you can imagine, plus you dont have to have a Dab aerial fitted and it can be bluetooth or aux input. Of course, just my opinion as its the method i use plus being able to play all your own music

David

Cheers David. Thats why I dont think I would go down the FM route, just because of finding a spare channel and the quality issues with sending the audio wirelessly. I do have giffgaff with the unlimited internet and have tried this, but find that due to where I live in some of the rural parts, there is a lack of 3G therefore the audio constantly cuts out.

The
only thing I don't like about with DAB is if you go in to a weak signal
area you loose total reception, I prefer to have a bit of FM static and
still be able to hear the radio channel being broadcast, than total
silence.

Just something to consider?

Very true, but to be honest I would much prefer the clarity of DAB and the options of the stations even if this caused total silence at times.

Have just found a post on a dutch (I believe) forum (http://www.iq-board.de/toyota-iq-sound/dab-erfahrungs-u-einbaubericht-alpine-pure-t2552.html), about how they set up the same DAB device. Looks very complicated... may have to rethink my original plans... :g:

Anyone heard of any reviews or seen the following ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/In-Phase-ProDAB-Universal-In-Car-DAB-Digital-Radio-Receiver-AUX-Input-FM-Trans-/121083705633?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item1c3126b921

Looks preety neat, but then again it still transfers over FM which could be a problem!

Mixed reviews on Amazon.co.uk - reviews from 5 stars to 1 star, average 3 stars.

The reason you loose the Dab signal all of a sudden without warning, is that the receiver threshold is set higher which mutes the receiver under low signal so you don't hear audio "artefacts" " sounds like break up and listening under water" video equivalent is random coloured blocks on a digital picture and audio break up.. There is hysteresis on the circuit so it could be a while until it comes back on again and a reasonable guarantee"d service is available. Not all Mux's/ bouquet are the same so changing channel may restore audio depending on which one you choose.For information only

David