Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Annoying Rattle/squeek Inside The Vehicle.

Bagpuss53

post-130134-0-44193400-1364764183_thumb.Hi,

We've had our 2005 Rav4 for about 2 weeks now with no problems to date, but an annoying rattle/squeek has emerged inside the vehicle from an area where the dash top meets the windscreen fairly centrally, strangely enough the annoyance disappeared immediately after using the windscreen wash/wipe function and stayed silent for the rest of our 10 mile journey. I just wondered if anyone out there has encountered this annoyance and could point me in the right direction before I rip the whole dash out.

My 2004 xt3 does this. I think the squeak comes from the trim panel on the outside of the car where it touches the windscreen.(scuttle) It is more noticeable in cold weather.

I think it can be fixed by removing the panel and running a strip of thin adhesive foam along the area that makes contact with the base of the windscreen.

It's on my to do list when the temperature eventually rises above 2 deg Celcius.

There is a thread about it. Use the search function and it will find it for you. I would post a link but my PC is knackered and I'm using an iPod. (iPhone is knackered as well. :-( )

Had exactly the same problem a couple of times. As stated above this was meant to have been fixed on our cars in the factory and earlier cars had a TSB which I attached.

Its only happened to me after dramatic temperature changes (summer and winter) and the fix for me was to firmly press the scuttle plate from above such that its definitely firm in its mounting clips. (I also clean the plastic strip that sits against the winscreen by carefully running a silicon cleaner loaded thin cloth between the strip and windscreen)

I had planned a more permanent fix but the couple of times I have noticed this in 8 years the noise goes when pressing/cleaning and I forget the problem.

Tick Noise NV004-01.pdf

• 3 months later...

Has anybody had this tsb job carried out? Maybe Kingo could provide a price?

Try carefully spraying a little silicon spray in the gap (Halfords sell the silicon rubber spray for about £5 http://reviews.halfords.com/4028/724542/reviews.htm) give the plastic suround a good firm press and see if you still have the problem. Its got to be worth risking a fiver :-)

Then use the rest of the spray to lubricate the rubber door seals in the winter to stop them freezing.

• 2 weeks later...

I gave the area a good dousing in silicone lube and it seems to have worked! I took the nozzle and straw from some WD40 and codged it onto the silicone lube can. It's easy enough to open the gap between the screen and scuttle with a flat screwdriver and spray merrily.

I did this over a week ago now. Will see how long it takes to wear off..