Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sat Nav Update Removes Uk Postcodes

simonhmoss

I bought a new Prius on 1 March and when I got it the sat nav accepted a full UK post code. I followed the instructions to register the Touch and Go and to download updates, updated my system and now it will not accept a full post code. Given that this was one of the deciding factors in choosing the Prius over other makes I am more than a little upset.

Anyone got any advice as so far my dealer has failed to come up with any suggestions and just says that is what the update does. There was no warning on the Toyota site that the update changed the system in any significant way.

Thanks for the warning, I was thinking about downloading an update for my new Prius as when the dealer was demonstrating the Sat Nav although it accepted my full postcode it then did not accept that my house number was covered by my code. The "old" system in my Rav4 had no problem with my location.

Interested to know what version it is now... I updated my SatNav last October (took a lifetime to do the 4GB download). Since then the toyota software has advised me that there's a new update available... pity they don't say what version this is (I don't want the slow download, and the long update process on the car).

Also, in my experience, the update process is not reliable - sometimes takes a couple of goes, and also doesn't necessarily modify the USB stick once the update has completed - so if you leave the USB stick plugged in (I do as mine contains 20GB of music files!) the system will check for software updates every time the car is started (solution is to delete the update ISO file from the USB stick)

Just for completeness, my software is version 1.7.9H Map EUH20120611 (which seems to be the same version as shown in this post by duncanda http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/145799-satnav-update-problem/ )

I updated my satnav and the current version is: 2.7.4H and map: EUH20121019 (19th October, 2012)

It reduces the postcode to 5 digits, so doesn't this mean it's less accurate? Mr T. why the retrograde step? Upgrade took about 45-60mins.

@duncanda that's the version I updated to. It's far less accurate especially if you don't have a road name. I am awaiting a response from Toyota who apparently seem to think that there may be a setting to allow full postcode. Having just bought the car I could have bought a T4, used my iPhone (where both Apple maps and google maps are free and come with a functional sat nav that takes a full postcode) and saved £1,500+. I am not a happy bunny.

simonhmoss, I emailed Toyota and I'll post their response.

I am a bit confused by the post code input change you mention following the update.

My postcode is 7 digits long (AANN NAA where A=letter, N=number)

Some London postcodes are as short as 5 digits (AN NAA)

If the downgrade is the case then a 5 digit input where I live really needs the number and street address to be any use at all!

However, I understand there is a new update available but I haven't been able to check this out yet.

My map/software versions are 2.7.4H and EUH20121027. This accepted my full 6 digit postcode but then when trying to enter house number some numbers were greyed out on the keyboard so I had to use the number of a house further down the road.

aCactus - I'll check there's not another update following the one I downloaded. Yours: EUH20121027 is a few days after mine.

I can only input EH12 6 instead of EH12 6XY for example.

Aimhigh - you're correct, if I input EH12 6, this covers a number of streets, not just one and so is less accurate.

I received an email from Toyota CS asking for details of my car, VIN, when bought etc. Can't see how this is relevant to downloaded maps!

duncanda - that sounds awful - just like the Gen2 Satnav (which was a pain).

My local Toyota Service team told me that there is a new update (They want to put it onto my vehicle to try to solve another issue I have). I wont be upgrading if this issue isnt solved in the newest sw update!!j I will check versions tonight

my software is 1.7.9H EUH20120611

Aimhigh - your software and map versions are exactly what I had before I updated.

OK, I have been asked to hold off updating so hopefully the issue might be acknowledged and a fix coming.

All that might be misinformation and a load of rubbish, but lets see!

I guess that I am getting set in my ways. Some 5 years ago i bought myself a Garmin sat nav and have found it to be superior to every built in sat nav I have ever found in any car I have owned or driven. I have learnt to use every single facility on my garmin and have purchased updates for it which keep me going where i need to go with the minimum of fuss. Because the unit has been a constant over the last 5 years, my wife is very familliar with it and uses it when she travels too. My reason for purchasing Garmin in the first place was simply that i had seen these devices being used on small yatchs and motor boats long before i encountered sat nav in cars and so I assumed that this company would be experienced in producing something which was reliable, easy to use and did the job expected of it. If they didnt build sat navs into cars, I wouldnt be worried at all since I have happily found something which is uncomplicated and does the job.

On the occasions that i have attempted to use our Gen 2 sat nav I have been infuriated to find that it will not accept changes to its programme whilst the vehicle is in motion ( obviously a misguided safety feature which the desiners didnt realise that passengers are just as capable of operating a sat nav as the driver). As with most journeys, I only need the sat nav to talk to me when i am close to my final destination, I dont need it to chat to me whilst travelling on well signposted motorways and duel carriageways..Muting the Toyota system is something which I do not find easy at all and so when my wife has the Garmin and i have to use the Toyota system I drive to within 5 or 10 miles of my destination without the sat nav and then pull in to programme the blessed thing for the final leg of the trip when i need to listen to its directions.

The thought of updating such a system doesnt appeal to me since it simply cant do the job which i need it to do as well as the Garmin. I do understand that it is apealing not to have leads and cables trailing around the car, however I find the spagetti- like cables to be more preferable than the shortfalls of any companies built in system I have encountered to date.

Which version are using in your Gen 2 ?. The later disks allow you to program the sat-nav on the move.

I have just downgraded my Gen 2 from the 10-11 disk to the earlier version as I am part-exing. Wondering if the 10-11 version is worth putting on eBay - but not for too much :)

Just as an aside, muting the Toyota system is pretty easy - press the talky button on the steering wheel and say "suspend guidance". You can then say "resume guidance" when you get near where you want to be.

All

Just for further information my Prius is going into my Toyota dealer for two days next week for them to try and resolve the sat nav issue. I will post with an update once they've finished with it.

All

Just for further information my Prius is going into my Toyota dealer for two days next week for them to try and resolve the sat nav issue. I will post with an update once they've finished with it.

I have just returned form a trip to Scotland and before I went I foolishly updated the maps and software, so now I too have lost full post code search. I have contacted my dealer - Inchcape in Sandhurst - who are currently being less than helpful. I have offered them three options otherwise I will take steps in the Small Claims court. 1) A software upgrade that returns full post code search. 2) as an interim step a software downgrade. 3) again as an interim step to fit a unit containing the previous version. I have given them 14 days or we will be off to the small claims court. With out full post code search the unit is useless, and a £59 window mounted unit from Halfords has full post code search!

• Like 1

Directly below is the response from Toyota customer services and below that is my response. Sorry couldn't figure out how to make attachments.

"Thank you for providing the information requested regarding your Toyota Prius, registration SL12 ... I was sorry to note your comments regarding the satellite navigation in your vehicle and can understand your reason for contacting us. I have contacted our Technical department on your behalf regarding your comments that only 5 digit post codes are allowed. The Technical department have checked this and advise the system does accept 6 digit postcodes. However they advised you do have to put a space in the middle of the post code. Technical department also advised that Toyota (GB) PLC have not downgraded the accuracy of the data, although it is now provided by a different supplier. I trust the above information will be of use to you and thank you once again for contacting Customer Relations."

My response -

"Thank you for your prompt response to the issues of downgrading the accuracy of the Touch & Go Plus sat-nav system.

I wish to clarify a number of points:

1. The sat nav only accepts 5 digits. As an example I attempted a journey to EH22 1JR. The sat-nav only allowed me to input EH22 1. Discounting the space, that’s 5 digits. The full UK post-code is 7 digits.

2. In undertaking the above journey to EH22 1, the sat-nav directed me to a place 0.5 mile from the actual destination. Fortunately I knew where I was going and realised that the directions the sat-nav was providing were incorrect. The system is now inaccurate.

3. The alternative of inputting the street address is long-winded and slow, compared with the full 7 digit post-code Touch & Go Plus system that was purchased at considerable expense with the car.

4. The sat-nav was purchased with the vehicle because it offered full 7 digit post-code. It now offers 5 digits and is therefore less accurate and not what was purchased.

5. I would like the system to again offer full 7 digit post-code facilities or a way to be found to reverse the map upgrade, which introduced the 5 digit post-code. Otherwise I will be seeking legal and financial redress from Toyota (GB) PLC.

6. This issue is being actively discussed on the Toyota Owners Forum and unless a suitable fix is implemented by Toyota, the advice to potential Toyota purchasers is not to purchase the Touch & Go Plus option at £850, affecting Toyota GB income.

I look forward to your response."

@duncanda

The response from Toyota shows that they do not understand the problem and have not, apparently, tested the update. My car is now with Toyota who have provided an Auris Hybrid as a courtesy car, ironically with a Touch and Go + system that still accepts 7 digit post codes

Just had this response:

"I have passed your comments to our in-house Technical Department, who will be thoroughly investigating the problem you have raised regarding the number of postcode digits able to be entered on the unit. We have become aware that this problem seems to arise when upgrading via the customer portal, but need to investigate further to find the best course of action to remedy this. We will contact you as soon as possible to advise of the next steps.

In the meantime, I would like to thank you for your patience while we look into this matter, and will be in touch again shortly."

Ahhh! I can hear the penny dropping from here :clap:

Just got back from a visit to my local dealer. The dealer has been in touch with Toyota technical who are apparently stating that there is an issue with the Touch and Go portal in that it would seem to be downloading the wrong version. We went to my car (fitted with software version ending 019) and I was able to demonstrate that you can only enter 5 digits so AB14 - X, and an that point the ability to enter the final two letters is not possible. The dealer had another Prius (fitted with software version ending 027) and we proved that it was possible to enter a full UK post code i.e. AB12 6XY. Toyota have agreed to replace my Touch and Go unit under warranty, it had been ordered and should arrive early tomorrow. The dealer has also order the latest software but on a USB stick, since as I said Toyota think that it is the customer portal which is pushing out the wrong version. I am an engineer and I remain sceptical but hey ho.

I had threatened to "visit" Toyota HQ in Epsom tomorrow but I will postpone that delight pending the change out of my Sat Nav unit tomorrow. I have also had the discussion with the dealer about the whole upgrade process as follows:

1) It takes too long

2) There is no process no know is a new update is available

3) The portal keeps crashing

4) There is no process to let people know what features if any are removed or added within any new software.

Frankly its a complete mess and a large company like Toyota should have tested all this before releasing the new version via the portal.

I will keep everyone posted tomorrow with what happens.

Got a call from Toyota CS. Seems there is an issue with the portal only enabling 5 digit postcodes. They are going to arrange with the local dealer to fix the problem and I was told that the 7 digit postcode functionality will be restored. Let's see. Good CS though in terms of responsiveness.

Got a call from Toyota CS. Seems there is an issue with the portal only enabling 5 digit postcodes. They are going to arrange with the local dealer to fix the problem and I was told that the 7 digit postcode functionality will be restored. Let's see. Good CS though in terms of responsiveness.

It will be interesting to see what they say in terms of future updates. Hopefully they'll fix the portal issue.