Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Is Better Gen 2 Or Gen 3 Prius

choudhrysuk

Hi guys you probably heard this all before. But i will ask again, which model is the best best from your experiences? Is Gen 2 Prius better than the Gen 3 Prius. Also what do i need to look out for on these models. I have read most topics on the forums but just want your honest views. Which method would be most worthwhile and trustworthy; Private, Auction or Main Dealer.

Thank you in advance,

All reponses appreciated.

I'm a new owner, and for me the 1.8 ltr. petrol engine rather than 1.5ltr.swayed it. Don't know much about Gen 2 model, but I'm sure there are other upgrades too. Also I was influenced by the fact that my car still has over 2 years manufacturers warranty remaining (June 2010 onwards have 5yr warranty).

And personally I think the Gen 3 looks better too. Main dealer every time (strictly no techie me!), for peace of mind.

I have owned the Gen 2 and now a 2011 Gen 3.

The Gen 2 is very reliable car, my son did about 70,000 miles in his gen 2 in Europe and UK on business. He only had the brakes sorted otherwise it was trouble free.

My Gen 2 only had a low mileage on it when I did the PX for the Gen 3. I had no problems with it.

Early Gen 3s had problem with rattles and they only had a 3 year warranty. My gen 3 has a five year warranty and I have had no rattles. The gen 3 and other Hybrids can get cold start knocking. Mine goes in for a fix shortly. I have only had this fault once after leaving the car out on a very cold night.

Overall I prefer the Gen 3. The T spirit has a fairly decent sat nav and rear view camera. The main batteries have an 8 year warranty. It has head up display and as previously stated it has the 1.8 engine. The car is roomy and can take large loads.

If you do get a Gen 3 try to get one with the 5 year warranty. A T spirit if you can afford it. The car is very economical. During the Summer I got 65+ MPG. The consumption has gone up during the recent cold weather.

I would purchase from a Toyota dealer, not an auction.

Hope this Helps.

Say you got a 2008 Gen II...that has the 10yr/100,000 mile hybrid warranty, but the 5yr standard warranty is almost up.

2009 gen III weasel warranty...5yr or 60,000 miles hybrid side

2010 five yr warranty on the hybrid side apart from Battery which is 8 years.

So a GenII could be warranted until 2018 for the hybrid side.

That swings it for me.

Say you got a 2008 Gen II...that has the 10yr/100,000 mile hybrid warranty, but the 5yr standard warranty is almost up.

2009 gen III weasel warranty...5yr or 60,000 miles hybrid side

2010 five yr warranty on the hybrid side apart from battery which is 8 years.

So a GenII could be warranted until 2018 for the hybrid side.

That swings it for me.

UK MK2 Prius was only ever supplied with a 3 year 60,000 miles vehicle warranty & 8 year 100,000 mile hybrid warranty, there is no 5 year vehicle & 10 year hybrid warranty on MK2 Prius.

See link: http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/generic_editorial.jsp?navRoot=toyota_1024_root&fullwidth=true&noLeftMenu=true&forceText=%3Cnone%3E&edname=Owners-Warranty&zone=Zone+Ownership&id=Owners-Warranty

Another point is ensure any Prius you buy has a FULL TOYOTA service history and the service booklet has been stamped by a Toyota dealer. The Devon Aygo is correct with regard to the Gen 2 warranty.

Horses for courses really.

It's a bit like asking which is better Prius or Auris, Golden Delicious or Coxes.

Any reason why you aren't interested in the gen1 or other toyota hybrids?

Are you looking to buy?

hi guy, i am intrested in the prius because i have been told and have seen the boot on the auris hybrid is small.I would mind a auris but would need a bigger boot. That's why i opted for a prius rather a auris. thanks all.

gen 1 auris is probably the best outright value for money package. The newest gen 2 prius models are 4 years old.

If anything. the gen 2 was over-engineered in order to boost Toyota's rep. JDpower survey gives all the prius good results.

i have been told and have seen the boot on the auris hybrid is small.I would mind a auris but would need a bigger boot. That's why i opted for a prius rather a auris. thanks all.

As well as prius gen2 and gen3, there are also the plug-in prius and

the prius+. The prius+ is the 7 seater so if you need a lot of room,

maybe a look at that? In any case, the best thing you can do is get

yourself to Mr T and have an extended test drive to see what you think.

They all have their plus and minus points so the only way you will know

what works for you is to get in and drive.

General points to look out for have been covered (like warranty, service history, where to buy from, etc.).