Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diesel Vs. Petrol

I have been reading quite a few entries on here which are
talking about DNPR and the likelihood or possibly a better description is the possibility
of them getting damaged, increases with shorter journeys where the engine does
not get up to full temperature.

This strikes a chord with me as my journeys are getting
shorter generally and with the cold winter weather the engine does not always
get to normal operating temperature, does that mean when I look to replace the
Rav I really should be thinking of replacing it with a petrol version?

The number of available SUV’s/Crossovers available with
petrol engines seems to be reducing with each new generation of vehicle and I
must admit to liking the size/footprint of this class of vehicle.

Just a thought!

It is not an easy one. I wonder what the official figures are for number of diesel RAVs sold versus petrol RAVs in say 2012? I have bought many cars new but in recent years I have started to buy secondhand and try to avoid the big hit of first year depreciation - I will probably continue to do that but if I kept the car long enough that probably wouldn't be so significant! Diesels are very popular these days and probably keep their value better - but if I am buying used then a big drop in petrol RAVs is an advantage. I have bought mainly Toyotas for the last few decades and my main reason is reliability coupled with sensible servicing costs. I have had three diesels in the past (Previa, LC and RAV) and I have seen a very tempting diesel RAV for sale at a local dealer but I think the sensible thing is for me to hold out for an automatic petrol RAV next - but our current petrol RAV is still low mileage and going well!

Sorry I haven't added much here - I can see the advantage of diesel for high mileage or really big cars that would drink petrol.

David

My wife likes her Diesel Rav 2.2 auto, but urban consumption at 29.00 mpg is not very good.

Our Rav4 3 petrol only does circa 30mpg and 300miles to a tank @ £65 a go....but as an overall package it's excellent - love it to bits - it's my wife's car so we can take a hit on the MPG as she only drives local. My other car is a diesel and that's what I need for my commute - 45mpg and 600 miles to a tank.

But what I will say about the petrol Rav4 is that it warms up in minutes and it's lovely in the winter, my other car takes 15 minutes which is not good when it's freezing.

But, I only paid £5k for the Rav4 3 months ago from a desperate private seller who was emigrating...so I'm not worried about the mpg or road tax! Happy days.

But what I will say about the petrol Rav4 is that it warms up in minutes and it's lovely in the winter, my other car [diesel] takes 15 minutes which is not good when it's freezing.

Don't forget to wind the temperature up to MAX when setting off in a diesel RAV in very cold weather. Set to maximum the powerful electrical PTC heaters will operate, and quickly produce welcome cabin warmth and demisting. Set to halfway or two-thirds, the PTCs don't operate.

Back off the heater setting as soon as things have warmed up.

Chris

But what I will say about the petrol Rav4 is that it warms up in minutes and it's lovely in the winter, my other car [diesel] takes 15 minutes which is not good when it's freezing.

Don't forget to wind the temperature up to MAX when setting off in a diesel RAV in very cold weather. Set to maximum the powerful electrical PTC heaters will operate, and quickly produce welcome cabin warmth and demisting. Set to halfway or two-thirds, the PTCs don't operate.

Back off the heater setting as soon as things have warmed up.

Chris

Hi Chris

What are PTC heaters please.......and why back off the heater once its warmed up,my cabin is lovely and warm with my heater on full blast all the time.,whilst we have this cold cold easterly wind in southern England