Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T180 Clutch Replacement

4.1GX

Hi all, I am looking for some friendly advice regarding replacing the clutch on our T180, this seems the be the 'next thing' on a list of things gone wrong with this car :(

It is a 2006MY with full service history (95% Toyota) and has 105,000 miles on the clock.

The clutch is slipping quite badly now and our local dealer has quoted £1200 for just the clutch to be replaced and then another £800 if the DMF also needs replacing which they will only know when they do the clutch. We are located in Lancashire so if anyone knows of any good places other than the main dealer then I would be very interested!!

However does the T180 have a dual mass flywheel? It isnt rattling or making the usual 'jingly' noises so I am not sure? Also can the clutch be adjusted on these cars?

Sorry for so many questions but am struggling to face another repair, especially one that could cost £2k!!!

Thanks all!

Any DMF issues were long cured by this model, and yes.....it does have one. As for £1200.00 to replace....

Nah.....find a trusted and recommended indie.......parts only less than £400.00 (Charlie paid many Mars Bars less.....). So £800.00 labour seems a wee bit sore......?

Big Kev

Cheers mate, I will have to start phoning round a few garages for a more 'realistic' quote, £800 is v.high as you say! It is in for an MOT this afternoon too, if it fails that then I think it will be px time :(

Where in Lancs are you, I have fiited a couple of clutches on Rav4's but I have stopped due to a bad back years of hard work , I have re-fiitted one DMF and fitted a solid (DMF) and the owner did not find any issues with the vehicle no extra vibes, I know of a superb garage but it's near Hambleton maybe to far for you

p.s. no cluch adjustment (sorry)

• Like 1

Thanks Fox, we are in Rossendale. I thought about having a go myself too but with the weather and bit of a dodgy back too I would rather pay someone to sort it as long as they do a good job and dont take the mick with the price! If you have the details of the garage then it would be appreciated, I am willing to travel to get a decent job done.

The missus is taking it for the MOT at 4.00 today so by 5:00 I will either be planning a clutch change or a px!! :ermm:

It's called Gornall's and the number is 01253 700214

I hope I don't get into trouble for listing this number

This is a fairly complex and sophisticated car.....

I paid £280 for the clutch kit so shop around and ask for discount !!

Yes of course you might save a couple of hundred by using an independent garage but is it worth the agg and the risk ?

Lets be honest here after replacing so many engines most Toyota dealers should have this job down to a few hours. It does after all take then six or seven to do an engine change so the clutch should be considerably less time SO again ask for the best possible price you may be surprised !

Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated. I will have to have another conversation with my local dealer to see if they will reduce the price further as like you say Charlie they must have it down to a T now - ours has been done twice!!!

At least it passed the MOT and it was only £35 :clap:

Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated. I will have to have another conversation with my local dealer to see if they will reduce the price further as like you say Charlie they must have it down to a T now - ours has been done twice!!!

At least it passed the MOT and it was only £35 :clap:

Confused ?? What has been done twice the engine ? If so why did you not get the clutch done when the engine was done ?

It had the engine mod done and then approx 6 months after they had to do it again as the head gasket went -to be honest it wasn't clear exactly what had / had not been done. The clutch was never mentioned so I am beginning to think it was just reworked in situ but surely this would be v.hard to do??

Also after both reworks the clutch felt fine, it is only since its last service that we have noticed it and it seems to have gone rapidly worse slipping in most gears now.

I am at the dilemma stage of do I spend a wedge on it or is it too risky given the mileage and the fact that its giving the odd 'puff' again.....

Not much help to you now but whenever the subject of the engines comes up I/We always recommend having the clutch replaced when the engine is out as the only cost is the parts. No dealer that I have heard of charges for labour as there is no extra labour involved.

My first engine was at (From memory) just under 50K miles and I had it changed as a matter of course whether it needed it or not as the cost was just 280 quid compared to circa 1100 if it ever needed doing as a separate entity ....

Too late for you mate of course...

It doesn't matter if your car is giving the odd "puff" as long as it is not using to much oil.

Not sure what you mean by re worked in situ ?

Sorry, I mean when they did the reworks to the engine can they leave the bottom end still attached to the box or do they need to literally have the engine on a bench and split it totally? I am not sure as to what extent the modification goes to cure the oil burning.

I am fairly sure we didn't have a replacement engine as we haven't had any new engine numbers.

Sorry, I mean when they did the reworks to the engine can they leave the bottom end still attached to the box or do they need to literally have the engine on a bench and split it totally? I am not sure as to what extent the modification goes to cure the oil burning.

I am fairly sure we didn't have a replacement engine as we haven't had any new engine numbers.

Right with you now....

I would say its an engine out and full strip. It has to be surely ? So as with a replacement unit the clutch should involve no extra or maybe possibly just a little labour but nowhere near the circa 900 quid you are now being asked to pay !! But as said above mate its just to late now....

If you look on eBay SMF kits for a 2AD hit you in the face for a couple of hundred quid - with a flywheel. I have never used one but complete aftermarket clutch kits must be available. Dealers tend to charge just under £400 for a genuine Toyota kit. Charlie cites £300 - I don't know if that is genuine Toyota but I can't get one that cheap.

Just to clarify... I paid £280 plus VAT ... Sorry we have not long moved so I could not find the invoice.. If I remember correctly our parts guru Kingo was near to 300 plus VAT at the time.. I had my genuine parts supplied by the dealer who fitted the engine and I would never ever use spurious parts on any of my cars..

A full kit, including bearing is £427 at retail inc VAT

I could supply one at £320 plus carriage. If you wanted to scrimp a bit, you could knock £25 off and not fit the thrust bearing, but who would?

Please remember these are April 2013 prices, these posts are read years down the line when pricing has gone out the window :yes:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info everyone, highly appreciated.

Kingo, I am very interested in your prices, when you say full kit does that include the dual mass flywheel or just the clutch!

Kingo, I am very interested in your prices, when you say full kit does that include the dual mass flywheel or just the clutch!

Kingos kit will I'm absolutely sure will consist of the driven plate. The pressure assembly and the Thrust bearing.. The DMF is a very expensive item and I personally have never heard of one needing replacement before..

Just the clutch, the cover and plate come as one unit, don't think I have ever sold a DMF on a modern RAV

Kingo :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update for all, a highly recommended local Indy has given a fitted and warranted price of £700 using a LUK clutch which he said has used before and never had any issues with them so looks the likely option as he will also guarantee it for defects.

However before we spend the cash it is going in tomorrow for a health check - turbo play / oil in pipes, head gasket, compression test etc as it is still giving the odd puff of blue :( If it seems ok then will probably go for it as we can't find anything else that the wife likes for less than £20k ish!!

Let's hope it gets a good bill of health tomorrow!! Many thanks to all for the info / prices given so far :)

Odd puff of blue smoke is nothing to worry about.

The odd puff of blue has been diagnosed as slight wear in the turbo bearings as there is excessive play in the shaft meaning that when under load oil can seep past and get burnt. The mechanic also showed me the very slight marks on the housing where the blades are just starting to touch. So although still usable it will need replacing at some point at a cost of around £1100 for the part plus fitting. Couple this to a new clutch and Dual Mass Flywheel and the bill starts to look around £2.5k :(

Just an update for all, a highly recommended local Indy has given a fitted and warranted price of £700 using a LUK clutch which he said has used before and never had any issues with them so looks the likely option as he will also guarantee it for defects.

However before we spend the cash it is going in tomorrow for a health check - turbo play / oil in pipes, head gasket, compression test etc as it is still giving the odd puff of blue :( If it seems ok then will probably go for it as we can't find anything else that the wife likes for less than £20k ish!!

Let's hope it gets a good bill of health tomorrow!! Many thanks to all for the info / prices given so far :)

LUK are very good parts indeed.. Fitted to many cars as standard equipment and many genuine factory parts may have LUK stamped on them but will often come in fancy boxes with fancy prices....

700 quid fitted is a very good price !!!

There is a turbo here for sale with only 48k on it & 3 months warranty for £350 including delivery - I would be tempted to phone him to see if you can get a deal as it has been for sale for a good few weeks as per my post at the start of March

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/145116-t180-being-broken-all-parts-available-on-flea-bay/

Here is the link for the turbo:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-TOYOTA-RAV4-T180-2-2-D-CAT-D-4D-TURBO-CHARGER-48K-3-MONTHS-WARRANTY-/221198294569?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3380721e29

Turbo & clutch for £1k sounds a lot better than £2.5k :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

My clutch on my 03 Rav4,failed me last Wed,a sort of "out of the blue" failure,I had to have the vehicle recovered from my house,to a local garage that I have my MOT.s done.After the garage had accessed the problem it was in need of complete clutch assembly,replacement.I was quoted £670.00,that included recovery,and a replacement vehicle,free of charge,a lot of dosh,but what else can one do,Toyota main dealership want £1200.for replacement,

the car is in great nick,and has sailed through 3 MOT,s no problem,130000 miles.garage think it still had the original clutch.