Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr Blanking

the fox

Thanks for the positive feedback from the pro blankers.

If we get a few more I might be giving it a try.??

Well this blanking plate thing was an itch I just had to scratch..so fitted mine yesterday, using exhaust sealant..all nice and air tight.

The car drove great for 10mls before VSC/4WD /engine warning light appeared and had to crawl back home in limp mode.

Removed the blank and alls back to normal..don't think I shall be bothering again,unless anyone has any solutions?

Well this blanking plate thing was an itch I just had to scratch..so fitted mine yesterday, using exhaust sealant..all nice and air tight.

The car drove great for 10mls before VSC/4WD /engine warning light appeared and had to crawl back home in limp mode.

Removed the blank and alls back to normal..don't think I shall be bothering again,unless anyone has any solutions?

It is possible that the ECU/EMU didn't take kindly to the "new running conditions" of a blanked EGR, and threw up an error simply because it detected that "something had changed". Maybe disconnecting the Battery for a spell would have cleared the previous "running log", so the system would have to learn some new history.

I might be wrong.

Chris

I did try that Chris..but it made no difference.?
The only solution I can see is to get MrT to clear the fault,but doubt they would if you've blanked the EGR?

The only solution I can see is to get MrT to clear the fault,but doubt they would if you've blanked the EGR?

Ah thought you bought one of them Obey Wan Canobey code readers, Paul....?

If I can use it, so can you......just make sure any time you plug in OR remove, that ignition is OFF.

Big Kev

If I can use it, so can you......just make sure any time you plug in OR remove, that ignition is OFF.

Big Kev

Yes I have one Kev.

If you mean try deleting it with the blank still in place? that might be worth a go.

Big Kev

Yes I have one Kev.

If you mean try deleting it with the blank still in place? that might be worth a go.

Asthma boy.......

I'm sure the light would just come back on anyway,and I don't fancy having to limp home again.

Strange thing that limp mode, car wont go above 1800rpm meaning hills present a real problem.

Cancel light with Obey thing.....retest blanker in uphill outward journey only.....if limp mode, freewheel back....?

That would be my guess too . . . Refit blank, then clear errors, then test drive.

Chris

Ok I'll give it one more go next week..its last chance saloon ;~)

Lucky its its only a 15 min job.

For all you sceptics, The EGR valves job is to....

Let used exhaust gases go into the air intake this is to reduce oxygen and reduces combustion which in turn lowers the peak temp, Nox forms above 1800c. but by reducing the temp more soot/carbon is produced because less of the fuel is burnt, so if a EGR valve is blanked you have less soot/carbon going into your DPF it will last longer and run hotter a win/win situation you use less fuel because more of the fuel is being burnt, which means better overhaul running why would you want to let used exhaust gases go back into the intake/combustion sysyem more freash oxygen the better, Toyota I believe do not yet fit a NOX sensor to any diesel engine (yet) they rely on the oxygen sensor so I don't know why the warning lights etc would come into play, If I boot my Rav4 with no blanking plate I get black smoke, with the blanking plate no smoke, I want as much freash air going into my engine as possible, If you make the plate out of plastic it will melt I use a bit of ally with no melting problems and the Toyota diesel engines EGR valve is one of the easiest to blank,,, For years we had no EGR valves the NOX produced from a modern high compression Toyota engine is not going to stop global warming, but the increased soot/particles which is directly casued by reducing NOX is going to block your DPF sooner, I was a Fuel Injection Engineer working for CAV/GLOBE & SIMPSONS before working at Bae systems, trust me I'm a (diesel doctor)

Do it now while you can mate as the eu directive is asking all dealers to down load files from ecus which stores info from your engine in a cws file so u can bet it will be in the vosa test soon :(

Hi long time lurker just thought I should throw in my bit seeing as some of you are looking for some long term results.

I blanked the egr on my wifes 4.3 about a year ago. She faffed about town in it barely going over 50 and whenever I took it out and accelerated it billowed out smoke. It hasnt done that since the blanking .. still a little black smoke but nothing like before.

I dont know about fuel economy never paid much attention but she runs smoothly no problems and no codes on the ecu or warning lights.

One thing worth mentioning is that six months prior to the blanking I cleaned out the egr and put it back together and on that occasion it went into limp home on the first test drive. After a few more starts it was fine I put it down to either some debris getting into the system after the clean out or not disconnecting the Battery which I failed to do on that occasion.

Anyway 1 year later no probs and no black smoke.

Welcome to the club Lee.

Yes, welcome!

Looks like another hint that an ECU error/fault light might be thrown up after something is simply disturbed - e.g. EGR cleaning, or actual blanking - and running conditions change. Where this happens, it would be worth disconnecting the Battery for a while, to zap the history.

Q: I have read that mere Battery disconnection is sometimes not sufficient to erase log history and settings, and that some ECU's have a short-term memory backup (e.g. a capacitor) that is designed to preserve memory during short Battery disconnections. The suggested answer has been either to leave the battery disconnected for 30+ minutes, or, having disconnected it, actually to short the battery leads together to kill any residual supply. I'm hesitant to advise the 'shorting' option, just in case something somewhere wouldn't appreciate it. (? Short via a current-limiting resistor, eg 100ohm ?) Any authoritative advice on this, anyone?

Chris

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Just blanked off the EGR on my RAV 4 2.2 diesel and the difference was immense. No more black smoke, no more hesitation and more power, torque and MPG. A good mod. Thanks for the tip

Hi I have blanked two 180 one Avensis and a Rav4 both vehicles used to throw blck smaoke out when floored they now run a lot cleaner both have said they run better I have blanked nearly 20 Toyta's not one have asked to be un-blanked

• Like 1

Will this be picked up in the mot ? Not so clean runing ?

No it will not affect the MOT currently - the emissions testing on diesels is very limited and essentially only covers smoke emission.

I think I will order the gasket and then use this as a template so that I can get the plate made up and then do the job in one go.

It took me 1 hour max including removing te EGR and using the existing gasket as a template. I made mine from 2mm mild steel and used a junior hacksaw and file to cut and tidy up the engines and then just drilled the bolt holes that matched the gasket ones.

You might find some on eBay for an Avnesis but why waste your money when you can easily make one?

I used 3mm alloy, all I had handy, on the bottom hole I slotted it so no need to take the bottom bolt all the way out, easy peazy.

B-A