Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr Blanking

the fox

Could not wait until tomorrow, made a blank and fitted to car, not really using the car much this week as I am on afternoons and have a lift to work,but we'll see if mpg increases much with just running around with short trips.

May get a 65 mile trip on Thursday, see what happens.

It's just that now that it's done. I get a feeling that my engine won't like it, I'm sure the feeling will pass. It drove ok earlier.

(Especially if mpg goes up to 55)

Keith

I am also very willing to pay for a blanking plate, please let me know if and when they are available.

Cheers

Jeff

Hi, been reading with interest this topic on EGR blanking.

Not as mechanically minded as most so please help me out here. You'll probably all shout 'bl??dy prat' but please- I thought a lot of the Diesel engine/extended engine warranty problems (me included - had new engine) were due to the EGR valve failing/blocking - if you blank it off is this not the same thing? Mr. thicko here but somebody put me straight,

Jerry

Not as mechanically minded as most so please help me out here. You'll probably all shout 'bl??dy prat' but please- I thought a lot of the Diesel engine/extended engine warranty problems (me included - had new engine) were due to the EGR valve failing/blocking - if you blank it off is this not the same thing? Mr. thicko here but somebody put me straight,

Jerry

It's a fair question. The blanking plate effectively simulates a closed EGR the whole time. By contrast, poblems occur when the valve is stuck partially or fully open.

Jerry

Glad someone brought this up..

I've been thinking the same thing after today,and it does sound very logical.

I'll just give you my experience with the blank.

Well I couldnt wait, so made a couple of blanking plates today,fitted one and went for a drive.

The MPG did improve by around 3mpg,but after 10mls the engine management warning light lit up, showing check engine system and then VSC system,changing intermittently.

This could be an unlikely coincidence,and could possibly be deleted,but not wanting to take the chance of doing some damage I removed the blank.

I then did another 10ml drive and no more warning lights.Any thoughts on this would be welcome?

It could be disconnecting the Battery did this,but I think I'll wait to see other folks blanking results before giving it another try.

Anybody wants one of these blanks to try can have one FOC,they only take me about 5mins to make,using a dremmil to cut the shape,and a pillar drill for the two holes,theyre a perfect fit..Just PM me your address.

Paul.

Ah, I see now - of course its a valve (open or shut) - thank you so much for taking the time to explain,

Jerry

It's a fair question. The blanking plate effectively simulates a closed EGR the whole time. By contrast, poblems occur when the valve is stuck partially or fully open.

Ah right,now I get it ha.

But as my earlier post I'm going to hang fire for other guinea pigs first. :naughty:

Be patient with these blanks. You might get the odd rogue warning light but it will settle down.

Be patient with these blanks. You might get the odd rogue warning light but it will settle down.

Your probably correct, just a bit scary when those warning lights flash up just after youv'e fitted it.

I'll try it again this week..done it so many times now I can do it my sleep ha.

No,not for me thanks, sounds a bit crazy thinking we know better than Toyota who spent time and money developing the engine

• Like 1

No,not for me thanks, sounds a bit crazy thinking we know better than Toyota who spent time and money developing the engine

Toyota didn't fit the EGR from choice..

They like many manufacturers fit them to get the cars through strict emission.. So blooming strict they make the cars drink more fuel..

Slightly bent logic I'm sure you will agree...........

After fitting my blank plate today, i must admit I only did about 5 miles, but no warning lights, I didn't disconnect the Battery when I fitted the plate - should I have done?.

voyager t180 was your egr clean?, someone mentioned on a previous post about making sure when you fit plate.

Keith

Disconnect it or clear the code if the light comes on. Kevs once did it after cleaning the valve for no good reason. Not nice watching 30 stone of Scot sobbing.

After fitting my blank plate today, i must admit I only did about 5 miles, but no warning lights, I didn't disconnect the battery when I fitted the plate - should I have done?.

voyager t180 was your egr clean?, someone mentioned on a previous post about making sure when you fit plate.

Keith

Yes my EGR was clean..my warning lights could have just been a coincidence.

The blank is so quick and easy to fit I'll try it again and see what happens re the warning lights.

Thinking about it again I cant see that a VSC warning has anything to do with blanking the EGR?

If it lets any air in it will put the lights on.

So an additional gasket would help create a beter seal?

Which end did you fit the plate, next to manifold or next to/ top of egr valve. Just wondering as either end of pipe should be ok?

keith

Thanks Anchs..yes that could well be the problem..I'll use some gasket sealant next go.

Paul

Ah just cannot believe that anybody with a 2AD engine who has been around this Forum for a wee while would so much as contemplate making this adjustment, knowing fine well its history of problems, both major and minor, are well documented hereon. I genuinely feel you are courting problems.

I genuinely wish all well who seem to suddenly be subscribing to this hysteria.......you will NOT be referred to as a lot of blankers.......

Big Kev.

• Like 1

Haha Kev.
'Hysterias' putting it a bit strong..
Am I right in thinking this blank should only be tried on the 180 engines?
As I've said earlier I'm not yet completely convinced of its merits yet either,thats why I asked for someone with LONGTERM experience to post up,but no answers so far.
I do remember Devon saying it could invalidate engine warranties.
The OP does seem to have good knowledge on the subject though.

Haha Kev.

As I've said earlier I'm not yet completely convinced of its merits yet either,thats why I asked for someone with LONGTERM experience to post up,but no answers so far.

Cannot argue with OP posting, theory, experience, profession, Paul......but why are there no "long termers".......? Obvious.....all waiting on first guys to take one step forward whilst they take one step back.

interesting thread. I just faced my first bout with the EGR valve two weeks ago. 2.2L D-Cat (177bhp). Thanks to you guys on this forum, I figured out how to clean the EGR and did so successfully. While, a (relatively) painless procedure with the right tools, the whole cleaning process left me thinking why the heck NOx emissions are the lesser enemy when compared to the soot produced by the cooler burn as a result of the EGR...

While I'm not sure why, toyota would opt for better NOx emissions over better fuel economy AND less soot, I can tell you that I was nearly tempted to get rid of the valve all together in order to run a straight pipe to the intake, which would eliminate the hassle of having to clean the damn valve every 10,000km.

Haha Kev.

Cannot argue with OP posting, theory, experience, profession, Paul......but why are there no "long termers".......? Obvious.....all waiting on first guys to take one step forward whilst they take one step back.

That was my first thought..

But if the first man to fly hadn't tried,we'de still be taking holidays in Scarborough or the Trossacks ;~}

Wait though didnt the first attempted flight end in disaster hmmm.

Seriously though its the fuel gains, not having to replace a clogged up DPNR or clean an EGR valve every 6 months thats the big attraction with these blanks.

There may well be some fuel gains but the D-CATs will always use more fuel as the spray it into the exhaust.

My auto drinks fuel and I'm sure it is not all down to the torque converter, it is the D-CAT that is doing it.

Madness, complete utter madness - leave it alone or you'll bugger your engine - do you not think Toyota would have thought this through?