Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Egr Blanking

the fox

Thanks for the positive feedback Chris..
But I'm still undecided? .
Please keep us posted on future progress.
With the warmer weather (at last), my mpg has improved significantly,and I've never had blue smoke on start up either,or gone into limp mode (not whilst driving anyway) ;)
Another advantage with the blank would be not having to clean the EGR ever again?
Paul.

Smoke on start-up has always been just a brief (3 secs) puff of soot (black smoke) immediately after first firing. Presumably fuel not properly burnt during cold cranking. This seems to have disappeared now.

I didn't bother to give the EGR valve a clean - didn't seem any point as I was blanking it - but I did notice that the dirt in it was soft soot. Car has always been run on good quality fuel, latterly with 2T oil (1:200) added for better low-rev power. EGR valve never cleaned previously. Current mileage 157,000km (98k mi).

this applies to petrol engines, therefore the EGR should not be blanked, with a diesel my own personal out look on this subject is how can it be good to put filth back through an engine, would you run your engine without a air filter? still running the new to me engine in but have made a blanking plate and I'm really tempted to fit it.

B-A aka Geordie

this applies to petrol engines, therefore the EGR should not be blanked, with a diesel my own personal out look on this subject is how can it be good to put filth back through an engine, would you run your engine without a air filter? still running the new to me engine in but have made a blanking plate and I'm really tempted to fit it.

B-A aka Geordie

I too have my blanking plate ready,and itching to fit it,but that little seed of doubt is still there :unsure: .

Thanks to Paul for sending me a blanking plate..

However for the time being as I've discussed with Paul I wont be fitting it as yet..

Reason for this is my car is going better now than ever it has so why would I mess with it ?

Well for better economy ? Yes but my mileage is slashed in all our cars now we have dropped from upwards of 35K per year (Spread over 3 cars) to likely less than 15... So no really big gains..

My car has the Lindop kit fitted so its economy is I think very good for what is a large estate car

More power and better running ? As above really...

I had a chat with a very fussy MOT tester yesterday while the car was getting its MOT.

I asked about the new regulations and would a car fail if its emissions equipment had been altered or messed with in any way..

His reply was that it would be impossible or at least impractical for a tester to know how every car was set up..

So say if for instance the front Cat converter on the T180 (Oxidisation Catalyst ) was removed would it mean a fail ?

Answer was no.. It would pass so long as its emissions were within the given limits.... And of course unless the Tester knew one should actually be there ! (Unlikely)

Now both this year and last year the Testers tested my car twice in order to get a reading.. Each time its been tested it gives an almost nil reading on the emissions machine because of the DCat system which really does do a good job... So it follows that removing say the EGR by blanking or the Oxidisation Cat if your exhaust falls apart may mean the car will still pass the MOT...

But for now Im taking the "If it aint broke don't fix it" approach..

But please remember.. My opinion is worth exactly what you've paid for it ..........

• Like 2

Now both this year and last year the Testers tested my car twice in order to get a reading.. Each time its been tested it gives an almost nil reading on the emissions machine because of the DCat system which really does do a good job...

Don't think it's particularly because it's a DCat, my D4D (no DPF) has been the same as good as nil reading on it's past 3 MOTs. Tester said he doesn't know why he bothers with modern diesels as they're always well low.

I go back to what I said earlier. There may well be no benefit in fuel consumption but it will stop EGR problems if you have them. Diesel engines do not behave like petrol engines so throttle opening does not have the same effect.

Bezzer. You are right that the modern engine is clean but the D-CAT engines are exceptionally clean - several times cleaner then the normal or none D-CAT engines.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for the late response (been away) we have become a nation of car haters, we have been programmed to have a heart attack when we here of a fault code or see a warning light? If any of you have the ability or have been sent a blanking plate (then !Removed! fit it) and for all you other Toyota owners who are scared stiff of touching your beloved Toyota, and the comments that Toyota know best let me remind you all, The diesel engine Toyota fit in this model is plagued by huge oil usage, the 180 version blows head gaskets, and if the oil the engine burns is not cleaned from your EGR valve at every service,, and what Toyota centre will do that??? the damm thing will stick causing warning lights to appear that have nothing to do with engine running what so ever, Yep Toyota know best, you need to google some service bulletins regarding some of these matters, Why would you want 4x4 warning, some models show VSC warning when only the EGR valve is stuck, why would you want your engine to burn that much oil then send it back in again, And then theres the DPF problem if you don't do enough high speed/motorway running it will block up, again main cause to much oil being burnt, Yep Toyota got it right again, And if you are lucky your RAV4 un-like my wife you won't be going round the very fasy motorway slip road at Whitebirk in Blackburn at about 60mph and the Electrical power steering decide to turn off and need geoff capes to steer it

Can someone please supply me with a blanking plate, I have searched eBay etc without success.

Cheers.

Can someone please supply me with a blanking plate, I have searched ebay etc without success.

Cheers.

PM voyager t180.....he may have made some spares.....he told me in confidence he thinks he will get about a grand each for them, but that includes postage.

• Like 1

Yeah, right.

Oops.....maybe the dug got the humour......

Nah, not blanking mine. This is becoming a bit like Creationalists v Evolutionists! Whilst i dont' agree with creationalists any more than I believe Toyota is a God who created the D-4D, i've seen so many posts concerning 'blocked EGR problems' and I still cant see that blanking the EGR is any different to a blocked EGR. Have not seen much evidence/posts extolling the virtues and benefits of EGR blanking (maybe early days),Cleaning the EGR is good and really straight forward, i'm sticking to that,

Jerry

It's different because when they are blocked they are actually stuck open. This will effectively stick it shut.

Its a personal choice.

• Like 2

Can someone please supply me with a blanking plate, I have searched ebay etc without success.

Cheers.

PM voyager t180.....he may have made some spares.....he told me in confidence he thinks he will get about a grand each for them, but that includes postage.
Fancy a job as my agent Kev ;~)

I could make as many as I want.

But just to be clear in no way am I advising anybody to blank off their EGR..

Not disputing that it wont help,just that I personally have seen no definitive long term evidence that its safe,and until I see some LONG TERM results I wont be blanking mine.

Just a quickie the Rav4 passed MOT this morning with Blanking plate fitted it was 0.2 on the emissions test I think it should be below 3

Just a quickie the Rav4 passed MOT this morning with Blanking plate fitted it was 0.2 on the emissions test I think it should be below 3

Out of interest, do you still have the data for the previous test with, presumably, un-blanked EGR for comparison?

Out of interest, do you still have the data for the previous test with, presumably, un-blanked EGR for comparison?

I think its generally accepted that the blank doesn't affect the MOT .

Have a look at 'blanking the EGR' thread on pistonheads..just as on here theres a difference of opinion as to its merits,so who knows?

Although the majority do seem to be in favour of it.

Dont know if this helps David but my car passed its MOT a couple of weeks ago and had a 0.2 reading.. My car does not have blanking in place...

Dont know if this helps David but my car passed its MOT a couple of weeks ago and had a 0.2 reading.. My car does not have blanking in place...
So EGR doesn't appear to make a lot of difference at test temperatures/revs then?

It normally only opens under load. Don't compare D-CAT engines with normal engines. They are poles apart in terms of emmissions.

Don, I'm sure the EGR operates at low revs, because any engine performs better with as much clean air entering the cyl. as possible, I've now put the blank in to my xtr and am very happy with the result todate, but having only covered 1000miles I was going to wait before saying anything, again in my opinion it's the EGR v/v that is the cause of the 2ad engine major problem, putting filth back into the motor is bad, I've worked as an engineer all my working days, from life boats to main engine, last job was baby sitting gas engine on land fill sites,and the way I see it, NO WAY CAN THE EGR v/v be of any benefit to the longevity of an engine.

B-A

B-A, I'm sure you are right. The sole purpose of the EGR is to starve the engine of oxygen under certain conditions (by feeding it oxygen-depleted exhaust), which reduces output of NOx (oxides of nitrogen). It appears to have nothing to do with performance, clean-running or effficiency.

It's just one more "unfortunate" trade-off, along with oxidation cats and DPFs, to help protect the environment.

Chris

Cheers.

There is a post from Don on page 9 about this..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links