Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr Blanking

the fox

When fitting the blanking plate - ensure the valve is clean - it still needs to operate, otherwise you'll get an engine warning light.

• 7 months later...

Hi. I have my 2006 RAV4 2.2D-4D for two years now. Got it with 60k on it and mpg is ok. I have noticed that when sinking the boot especially when warm, I get quite a burst of black smoke. I have put 25k on it in just over two years and have cleaned the EGR valve twice in that time. First time it was stuck slightly open, second time it was ok but cleaned it all anyway. Can anyone explain exactly where the blanking plate(s) would have to go? Thanks

There has been a lot of threads on here about blanking off the EGR valve! But it has always chucked up the check engine lights and gone into Limp mode. The guys on the Lexus forum use a enumerators to fool the ecu into thinking that the EGR valve is still operating. I have no idea how it work's tbh! But sounds like the best Way around it...

put the blank between the engine block and the pipe that goes on top of the EGR v/v. the blank works fine with the XTR model with the 136bhp engine

B-A

Hi. I have cut a blank from a piece of 0.1mm shim steel (SS). Is this thick enough? If not, what is the minimum thickness it should be? I've seen various thicknesses quoted in this thread but this was at hand.

that should be fine, when I have removed the blank when it goes in for a service there is a light covering of damp gunge but nothing really, theres no sigh of heat trancefer on the blank as such

B-A

• 3 months later...

Which engine are we talking about? As i looked for a blanking plate i found that there are 2.2 d-4d with just an egr pipe and also with a egr pipe with cooler.

186420128-egr-koeler-toyota-avensis-2008

sany0011.jpg

Hi I have blanked two 180 one Avensis and a Rav4 both vehicles used to throw blck smaoke out when floored they now run a lot cleaner both have said they run better I have blanked nearly 20 Toyta's not one have asked to be un-blanked

Any news on this?

Because i now read that you just have blanked 2 177PS engine's ? Maybe they react different on blanking?

Hi

The bottom pipe is the same as mine. The cast end (bottom LHS) goes onto the top of my EGR and the other end comes out of the top RHS of the block, which where I fitted the blank. Made no detrimental difference to the running and abolished the black smoke when you sink the boot! I removed it last week but only to see if it would make any difference to a noisy engine I now have. Although I suspect this to be down to injectors.

I have a 2006 2.2d-4D engine type 2AD-FTV. Model - ALA30R.

Hope this info helps.

• 8 months later...

Is it OK to blank the EGR off on a 2.2 diesel RAV4 of 2010 vintage? I ask as I did it to a 2006 year one without problem but the EGR on the newer 2010 model looks slightly different. I believe that the 006 car had a 2AD engine and the 2010 is a 2AF engine. I don't want to risk the ECU warning light coming on

Thanks

John

I have blanked off egr valves on a few fords before so i thought i would have a go on the rav.

I made a blank for my 07 t180, after taking off and cleaning the egr valve, it was a bit sooty and came off pretty easy. No issues with power or engine light coming on.

After about 7 miles it threw the light up on the dash. So I took it blank out. Disconnected the Battery to reset the light.

Would the ecu eventually learn to run without it?

No the Engine ECU monitors the EGR flow on cars fitted with DPF/DPNR to protect the filter so if it blocks it will set a warning light

But the 136 rav 4-3 take a blank no problem, had one in for 25000 now and runs a treat

B-A

But the 136 rav 4-3 take a blank no problem, had one in for 25000 now and runs a treat

B-A

That's because the early 136bhp cars have no DPF/DPNR the 180 and later 150 bhp cars all have DPF/DPNR

just pointing out the 136 can be blanked off

Not quite true I'm afraid, mine is a 150 bhp and does not have a dpf. DPF's where introduced on the 150 facelift model. Some very early 150's sneaked in without them.

Thanks for the reply Devon Aygo. I will leave well alone. Seemed to work well on my older 06 plate 136brake model though

• 1 year later...
On Saturday, October 10, 2015 at 7:59 AM, Devon Aygo said:
On Saturday, October 10, 2015 at 7:47 AM, battleaxe said:

B-A

That's because the early 136bhp cars have no DPF/DPNR the 180 and later 150 bhp cars all have DPF/DPNR

So would this be OK on a 2006 1cd-ftv engine 116bhp? As there's no dpf/dpnr.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2013. 04. 14. at 8:46 PM, Tech01 said:

If anyone wants to make up a blanking plate in advance of fitting it, then it's easy to buy a sealing gasket (for the position you want to fit the blank), and use this as a pattern for the blank plate. For the 4.2, at the EGR-valve end, my gasket cost €9 from Mr.T. You won't actually need the gasket for the fitting of the plate: the plate replaces the original gasket.

Hello

I read you blanked the egr on Rav4.2 1cd-ftv. We did it also and now working fine the engine, but there is an engine warning light and don't disappear after 200km. When you blanked it, how long was when disappearing the error light? I tried to delete the fault, but my bt obd didn't work with this Rav4 to read or delete out.

• 2 years later...
On 4/3/2013 at 9:59 PM, the fox said:

For all you sceptics, The EGR valves job is to....

Let used exhaust gases go into the air intake this is to reduce oxygen and reduces combustion which in turn lowers the peak temp, Nox forms above 1800c. but by reducing the temp more soot/carbon is produced because less of the fuel is burnt, so if a EGR valve is blanked you have less soot/carbon going into your DPF it will last longer and run hotter a win/win situation you use less fuel because more of the fuel is being burnt, which means better overhaul running why would you want to let used exhaust gases go back into the intake/combustion sysyem more freash oxygen the better, Toyota I believe do not yet fit a NOX sensor to any diesel engine (yet) they rely on the oxygen sensor so I don't know why the warning lights etc would come into play, If I boot my Rav4 with no blanking plate I get black smoke, with the blanking plate no smoke, I want as much freash air going into my engine as possible, If you make the plate out of plastic it will melt I use a bit of ally with no melting problems and the Toyota diesel engines EGR valve is one of the easiest to blank,,, For years we had no EGR valves the NOX produced from a modern high compression Toyota engine is not going to stop global warming, but the increased soot/particles which is directly casued by reducing NOX is going to block your DPF sooner, I was a Fuel Injection Engineer working for CAV/GLOBE & SIMPSONS before working at Bae systems, trust me I'm a (diesel doctor)

I have done that on my Citroen dispatch. The consumption after doing that has gone significantly down. I made with one tank previously about 770k, now I can do around 1050k per tank, it's a crazy big difference. Also the power of the engine has gone up a lot, it takes of way better than it did before blocking the EGR valve.

Now we are definitely going to do this on my wife's RAV 4.

So, when is engine more friendly to the environment? When the consumption is way over 10l /100k, or when it below 8l /100k? I think the answer is very clear.

Cheers

On 4/3/2013 at 9:59 PM, the fox said:

For all you sceptics, The EGR valves job is to....

Let used exhaust gases go into the air intake this is to reduce oxygen and reduces combustion which in turn lowers the peak temp, Nox forms above 1800c. but by reducing the temp more soot/carbon is produced because less of the fuel is burnt, so if a EGR valve is blanked you have less soot/carbon going into your DPF it will last longer and run hotter a win/win situation you use less fuel because more of the fuel is being burnt, which means better overhaul running why would you want to let used exhaust gases go back into the intake/combustion sysyem more freash oxygen the better, Toyota I believe do not yet fit a NOX sensor to any diesel engine (yet) they rely on the oxygen sensor so I don't know why the warning lights etc would come into play, If I boot my Rav4 with no blanking plate I get black smoke, with the blanking plate no smoke, I want as much freash air going into my engine as possible, If you make the plate out of plastic it will melt I use a bit of ally with no melting problems and the Toyota diesel engines EGR valve is one of the easiest to blank,,, For years we had no EGR valves the NOX produced from a modern high compression Toyota engine is not going to stop global warming, but the increased soot/particles which is directly casued by reducing NOX is going to block your DPF sooner, I was a Fuel Injection Engineer working for CAV/GLOBE & SIMPSONS before working at Bae systems, trust me I'm a (diesel doctor)

On 4/4/2013 at 1:38 AM, voyager t180 said:

Hi mate..some interesting info there.thanks.

I am thinking of doing this myself,but I'm a bit worried it will invalidate any toyota warranty,should you have any engine issues?

Am I right thinking your just over the hills from me in Darwen..I'm in Bury.

On 4/12/2017 at 8:00 PM, blitzman said:

Hello

I read you blanked the egr on Rav4.2 1cd-ftv. We did it also and now working fine the engine, but there is an engine warning light and don't disappear after 200km. When you blanked it, how long was when disappearing the error light? I tried to delete the fault, but my bt obd didn't work with this Rav4 to read or delete out.

You need to change the settings in the car electronics, that is possible only with computer.

• 1 year later...

Bit of a thread resurrection, but this seems like the best place.

My next project is a 2ltr 1AD-FTV, I assume as it’s Euro6 and has a DPF/CAT (unlike the 4.2 and 4.3) then blanking may not be ideal, but what about flow restriction? Any advice welcome.

9 hours ago, Avalon said:

Bit of a thread resurrection, but this seems like the best place.

My next project is a 2ltr 1AD-FTV, I assume as it’s Euro6 and has a DPF/CAT (unlike the 4.2 and 4.3) then blanking may not be ideal, but what about flow restriction? Any advice welcome.

As I understand, the 1AD-FTV started life as Euro 4 and was brought up to Euro 5 after the addition of emissions control stuff in the early 4.4s. It was then dropped completely and never brought up to Euro 6.

The 1AD-FTV was replaced by the 2WW (BMW derived engine) in order to meet Euro 6 standards in the 4.4 (around 2016 I think).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, philip42h said:

As I understand, the 1AD-FTV started life as Euro 4 and was brought up to Euro 5 after the addition of emissions control stuff in the early 4.4s. It was then dropped completely and never brought up to Euro 6.

The 1AD-FTV was replaced by the 2WW (BMW derived engine) in order to meet Euro 6 standards in the 4.4 (around 2016 I think).

You’re right, unfortunately Parker’s list the spec as Euro 6 when I put my reg in, despite having the right spec for the power/mpg/emissions.

• 1 month later...

Just to confirm, 4.4 2.0D will eventually log a P0400 and illuminate the EML with a solid plate, just as the 4.2 2.0D did.