Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch And Gear Problems On 1 L Semi Auto Yaris

kate48

Can anyone help me with my problem with my 2003 1L semi automatic yaris. It has only 17000 miles on the clock and I have just paid just under 600 pounds to have a new clutch fitted. The car goes into nuetral hile im driving and I have to pull over and stop car and wait a few minutes and then start again. The garage said the new clutch is fitted properly and showed me the old one. The multi mode manual transmission light is on all the time now. I dont know what to do now as I dont have the money to spend loads more on the car. Any advice from anyone would be very welcome.

It may just be that the MMT computer needs to be reset; I assume this wasn't done at a Toyota garage?

I think you can unplug the Battery for a few minutes to reset it (At least this is what many Aygo users have done here when their MMT is playing up!), otherwise I suspect you need a trip to a Toyota garage so they can hook their computery widget up to it to reset it 'properly'.

Personally I'd try and part-ex it for a manual one, but then I really hate the MMT...!

I suspect this is Freetronic...

Didn't MMT replace Freetronic around 2001...?

• 7 months later...

Hello Kathleen,

I've got the same problem with my 2003 1L semi automatic Yaris. Hovewer it has happened once or twice a year till now. Recently it's been going on basically once a week. The garage said that the clutch need to be replaced. But as I see it did not help in your case.

Can you please advise? Did you manage to solve this problem?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi Kate.

First of all, I assume you're talking about the MMT. I've been reading that many people are having trouble with it. It's a good idea in theory but it doesn't work well in practice

What you need to understand is that this is basically a robot. From what I've been able to discover elsewhere it is a manual gearbox controlled by paddles. Try taking your foot off the gas pedal while operating the paddles. That is supposed to do the trick apparently. Obviously no guarantee but try it. I think Toyota have tried to create a manual gearbox that works like an automatic. Unfortunately, they've failed to do either.

"manual gearbox controlled by paddles."

The paddles only operate in manual mode and may be used to over-ride the "brain" in easy mode. The mode selector lever may also be used in addition but only in manual mode.

Otherwise gear changes and clutch operation are instigated, not very well, by the very low i.q. "brain"!

I take it you've never owned one Twang and just relating what you've read on t'interweb?

"manual gearbox controlled by paddles."

The paddles only operate in manual mode and may be used to over-ride the "brain" in easy mode. The mode selector lever may also be used in addition but only in manual mode.

Otherwise gear changes and clutch operation are instigated, not very well, by the very low i.q. "brain"!

I take it you've never owned one Twang and just relating what you've read on t'interweb?

Sorry, for some reason the post appeared twice!?

That's absolutely right mrpj.

I've literally repeated only what I've read. I've never owned one or even driven one.

I happily defer to your superior knowledge.

Did the 2003/Mk1 have paddles at all?

I thought it was only on the latest model. The Mk2 certainly doesn't have them.

Can anyone help me with my problem with my 2003 1L semi automatic yaris. It has only 17000 miles on the clock and I have just paid just under 600 pounds to have a new clutch fitted. The car goes into nuetral hile im driving and I have to pull over and stop car and wait a few minutes and then start again. The garage said the new clutch is fitted properly and showed me the old one. The multi mode manual transmission light is on all the time now. I dont know what to do now as I dont have the money to spend loads more on the car. Any advice from anyone would be very welcome.

Was it a Toyota garage that fitted the new clutch?

If not, then the garage are likely at fault. As I understand it, the computer controlling the gearchange has to be reset on a clutch change.

But I regret ignorance means I cannot comment further...

• 8 years later...

I am changing the clutch actuator kit but I haven’t finished the clamping position ( position “_” the actuator position seems to be missed? What to do please? 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links