Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Handbrake Wont Hold

u4ea

Hi,

I have a 51 Avensis 1.8gs that I've owned for a few months now and has not been a spot of bother. It has recently however developed a fault where the handbrake wont hold at all. I've been told that it may be due to seized pads/cables? Has anyone serviced these? Any suggestions would be of great help as I dont fancy paying a garage for something that I could be getting on with.

Have you had the rear wheels off and had a look around? I've not worked on your model but you may be able to spot how to adjust things.

Is there not usually a nut under the handbrake itslelf that you can adjust?? Under the plastic trim, if that doesnt work though something may have come loose along the line maybe??

If it's any help the 03-08 Avensis has cable operated small brake shoes for the handbrake. They're in the centre of the brake discs. I've no idea if your model has the same tho, sorry.

Is there not usually a nut under the handbrake itslelf that you can adjust?? Under the plastic trim, if that doesnt work though something may have come loose along the line maybe??

Yes already done that but to no avail! I think i will have to take the wheels off and see whats what.

If it's any help the 03-08 Avensis has cable operated small brake shoes for the handbrake. They're in the centre of the brake discs. I've no idea if your model has the same tho, sorry.

I suspect it may be the same, Cant have a look till the weekend though :disgust:

Have you had the rear wheels off and had a look around? I've not worked on your model but you may be able to spot how to adjust things.

Aye mate I'll get them off as soon as and see whats going on.

I had a similar problem on my 2004 avensis. The handbrake was firm whenever I pulled it but it wasnt holding the car. Took it in to a local trusted garage/mot centre. The guys there loosened the handbrake at the handle underneath the trim first, then tightened the brake shoes on both sides and finally tightened the handle on the inside again. Never been a problem since.

• Like 1

I had a problem with my 04 d4d I fitted new rear shoes and they would not hold took them back to the motor factors and got different ones they would not hold. I had to buy genuine Toyota rear shoes from the dealer they cost 3 X the price of the other ones but when fitted the held fine and have been adjusted for MOT and are still great and I would do a lot of towing of boats and caravans so I need a good hand brake.

I had a similar problem on my 2004 avensis. The handbrake was firm whenever I pulled it but it wasnt holding the car. Took it in to a local trusted garage/mot centre. The guys there loosened the handbrake at the handle underneath the trim first, then tightened the brake shoes on both sides and finally tightened the handle on the inside again. Never been a problem since.

That's the correct way to adjust the handbrake, too many people make the mistake of adjusting the cable first but this is wrong, the cable is the last thing to adjust.

Pete.