Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A Liitle More On Tyres Please

flyboyprowler

I know the topic has been hammered, as to which and what, but I am about to change the front tyres on the Spanish 4.2 RAV, which is on 16" wheels.

I would like to know what owners think is the quietest tyre, as we spend a lot of time on the motorway, but our house is on a gravel track, and tyre noise on the motorway is a problem. Thanks,

Ainsley

I'd go with Geolandar G91As Ainsley - seems to be a good all round tyre with acceptable noise level at cruise speed, good wear rate, and the tread gaps are not so wide as to pick up too much gravel and fling it about.

If you go onto the Black Circles website, and put in your tyre size, you will be presented with a list of tyres for your car. It is a legal requirement now that all tyres sold have tyre label information which tells you 1, The fuel efficiency of the tyre, 2, The wet grip and braking performance, and 3, The noise emission, so just have a look at a few brands, most appear to be 70 -75 Db

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I know the topic has been hammered, as to which and what, but I am about to change the front tyres on the Spanish 4.2 RAV, which is on 16" wheels.

I would like to know what owners think is the quietest tyre, as we spend a lot of time on the motorway, but our house is on a gravel track, and tyre noise on the motorway is a problem. Thanks,

Ainsley

When I was looking to change the tyres on the 3-dr from Duelers, I was going to fit Conti CrossContacs as they were reputed to be best for low-noise. However my dealer had an irresistable price on Cooper CS4's and they have turned out to be very good in terms of wear, winter perfornance & noise.

Worth a look, I'd say.

• Like 1

On the series 2 I would take a look at General Grabber tyres -I seem to remember a previous post said General were connected to Continental

On the series 2 I would take a look at General Grabber tyres -I seem to remember a previous post said General were connected to Continental

Yup, General is the 'economy' brand of Continetal.

I had grabbers on my RAV4.2 and as I recall, were a good all round tyre and did thousands of motorway miles on them. Think the RAV4.2 is not a very quiet motor anyway so any tyre noise was drowned out :)

Watch the Yokoharma g91s mine r perishing and splitting and my rav4 only 2 and half years olds!

General have been part of Continental's American operations since 1987.

I have General Grabber A/T tyres on mine and they are noisy on fast roads. For me, the benefit of knobbly tyres is worth the racket though. I went out in the snow just for fun and also do a bit of mild green laning. The Rav is surprisingly capable with proper tyres on it.

Thank you for the replies, I don't need knobbley jobs, and the Geolandars seem to be the popular option, but here in Spain they are around the € 130.00 mark, certainly cheaper in UK. Interesting that Ken's are splitting, surely that could be a guarantee job!

I currently have Bridgestone duellers on the front, and these are to be replaced, with around 40,000 miles.

Interestingly, on the Black Circles website, as suggested, the Michelin Latitude would appear to be the quietest the second best wet grip to the Conti cross contact, and the best rolling resistance is best of all. Price check here in overcast Spain tomorrow!

Yea the Bridgestone were fine on my other 1 ! I can't understand y thay r spilting I allways keep a eye on the pressure and the car is only just over 2 years old !

I was thinking of general grabber uhp rather than the all terrain (at) tyres as flyboy said he uses the rav mainly on motorways

The Geolandars seem to be the popular option, but here in Spain they are around the € 130.00 mark, certainly cheaper in UK.

Oh Yeah, My local Dealer wanted 183 quid per corner for G91As . . . And wouldn't Price match when I told him I could get them for 125 Quid . . . . His loss I'm off to RRG Macclesfield on Thursday for said replacements at 133 quid each.

I do the same roads that you do, Ainsley, and find the OE Duelers (687's) quiet on tarmac, good in mud, and decent life. Did fancy trying some Michelin Latitude Cross a while ago, but was disappointed to find them available only in a speed rating of T, not V, for the 4.2's wheel size. Fitting such a tyre would be an ITV failure here.

Chris

Regards tyres, my rav T180 was quoted £250 each fitted etc or £220 if all 4 done at Lindops. I assume Duellers as they are OEM.They are the only ones in N.Wales with fitting gear to do BSG rims. is this a fair price?

Regards tyres, my rav T180 was quoted £250 each fitted etc or £220 if all 4 done at Lindops. I assume Duellers as they are OEM.They are the only ones in N.Wales with fitting gear to do BSG rims. is this a fair price?

Noo......there IS a question, my Gaelic brother.......with reference to the price of Runflat replacement......" Is that a FAIR price.....?"

Must go......wrists are itchy.....cannot find a scalpel.....

Big Kev.

I paid €290 for a pair of Duelers (687's) last week here - all in, incl fitting, balancing, etc.

C.

...........which is £70.00 per corner cheaper than Bertz above is being asked to pay for his Flunrats........

That just about covers the question including that daft word "fair....."

Tks Big Kev for the comments.All I was asking about was the price. Only had the Rav for just over a month and trying to get objective costs. Rav4 club seemed to the most informative place to go.

I had a puncture the other week - 15mm wide shard of metal through the centre of the tread. The replacement Bridgestone D687 BSR cost me £214.20. (Irritating as there was still ~5mm tread on the dead tyre).

Not exactly "bargain of the century", but not too unreasonable under the circumstances and the original Bridgestones do drive and wear well ...

Let me just confirm . . . €290 per pair . . . €145 each . . . that's £129 +/-. £214!!!!???? OMG.

Tks Big Kev for the comments.All I was asking about was the price. Only had the Rav for just over a month and trying to get objective costs. Rav4 club seemed to the most informative place to go.

Also never allowed for 18" on T180 as opposed to 17" on Chris's, or maybe 16" ?, but even at that......

I do the same roads that you do, Ainsley, and find the OE Duelers (687's) quiet on tarmac, good in mud, and decent life. Did fancy trying some Michelin Latitude Cross a while ago, but was disappointed to find them available only in a speed rating of T, not V, for the 4.2's wheel size. Fitting such a tyre would be an ITV failure here.

Chris

My ITV is due in June, and the tyres need to be changed imminently A local dealer is recommending Lassa tyres, a budget Bridgestone, at € 125, but the revues aren't the best! Chris, where did you get your Duelers, I may have the same agent near me in east Almeria. Would a reputable fitter put on a tyre that would fail the ITV here in Spain?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links