Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Iq Fuel Gauge Problem? All A Rattleing

chezandpoppy

Hi all

Ive owned two iq's now a 2010 iq auto and now a 2011 iq2 manual. Both of them have had the same problem where once the fuel gauge reaches 2 bars it goes from that straight to reserve fuel. Does anyone else have this problem? Its so dangerous especially on the motorway.

Another questions is when changing gears the car rattles like im in the wrong gear but i know im not. i dont know why its doing it. Does anyone else have this issue? I cant really explain it might just take it into Toyota anyway as its under warrently.

Does anyone else on here have problems with Toyota? They sold me my current car (2nd hand) with warrenty but it has a slow punchure. I contacted them but no one wants to help.

Any help especially with the fuel gauge would be appriciated.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. :)

Fuel gauge is normal, they all do that. You have the solid bars all the way down to 2 solid bars left then the last bar flashes to tell you it's time to fill up.

I just make sure I refuel before the two bars arrive but you may be able to get a fair way on the flashing bar, how far is how far you are willing to risk it.

Is the changing gear issue just when you are letting up the clutch or all the time your driving?

Craig.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. :)

Fuel gauge is normal, they all do that. You have the solid bars all the way down to 2 solid bars left then the last bar flashes to tell you it's time to fill up.

I just make sure I refuel before the two bars arrive but you may be able to get a fair way on the flashing bar, how far is how far you are willing to risk it.

Is the changing gear issue just when you are letting up the clutch or all the time your driving?

Craig.

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your reply. Its just when im letting the clutch up. Its so frustrating and it looks like you cant drive (maybe i cant lol). Any ideas what it is?

Chez

A quick search on google for clutch shudder (which is what I believe you are experiencing) came up with the following:

10 Common Causes of Clutch Shudder.

• Oil Contamination of Clutch Plate from Engine or Gearbox Seal Leakage
  • Loose or Worn Engine Mountings
  • Worn Shackles or Loose U Bolts (Where applicable)
  • Worn or damaged Universal Joints or CV Joints
  • Drive Shaft Centre Spigot Bearing worn or Failure (Where applicable)
  • Broken Drive Straps on Cover Assembly through driver abuse i.e. Down changing or Savage clutch engagement.
  • Incorrect driving habits, Driver induced shudder is also caused by abrupt clutch engagement or releasing, the clutch should always be feathered on release or engagement rather than being jabbed when releasing or engaging.
  • Worn Pilot Bearing/Spigot Bush-Dry Gearbox Snout or Clutch Disc splines.
  • Missing Flywheel Dowels
  • Incorrect installation proceedure i.e. Clutch Disc Bent during installation by hanging gearbox or incorrect clutch adjustment i.e. Clutch over adjusted causing over centering which can create premature engagement.

I would hope that none of the above (obv except #7) would be the cause on a two year old car.

I've experienced it occasionally, and I've noticed it only ever does it when the clutch is dead cold (i.e not used from the day before/overnight)

I do get the very occasion clutch judder on my iQ too, 1.3 version with the 6 speed transmission but it is very occasional and as said above, only seems to be when it's cold so I've always put it down to moisture or condensation inside the bellhousing as the engine is warming up.

My car is now 3 years old, out of warranty and covered about 25K miles. I did tell my dealer about it when the car was in having some other work done but off course they test drove it and the problem wasn't there then.

If you get it more than occasionally though and you can demonstrate it to the dealer I think they would be hard pushed to say nothing is wrong.

Craig.

IMO the fuel gauge is utterly, utterly useless in my IQ, since it does not in any way reflect the actual amount of fuel left in the tank. I can drive forever before anything happens, and after the first step down it's mostly guesswork. About half tank gauge seems to be about right, but it's extremely unreliable.

Since the IQ actually has the possibility to show the actual fuel consumption, I wonder why Toyota didn't add the ability to show how many more miles (or kilometres) you can actually drive as most other cars do ...

Oh well... I like my IQ anyway :)

Afe, Very good point there, why can't Toyota iQ's show the remaining fuel accurately? A company with such techical skills ought to have been able to produce a fuel gauge that is at the very least 90% accurate, not a best guess then an, 'oh that's wrong it's nearly empty!' It's pathetic and the only thing I truly dislike about the car.

Maybe someone, maybe even Toyota, will come up with a software/firmware fix for this in the near future for all models of iQ, for free.

The IQ fuel guage is not the most sophisticated bit of kit, a wooden dip pole would be more accurate.

From memory (on average our IQ3 auto will do about 300 miles to a tankful (or full tank) the flashing bar has occured from a range of 90 miles left in the tank to 170 !! on average about 130 miles left in the tank.

Depends how brave you are once you notice the flashing bar appear and how many miles have passed before you saw the flashing bar.

Rgds

Talking about being brave, the bottom bar on our iQ1 started flashing yesterday morning just as we left home with a 31 mile trip to work ahead. I reckoned it was fine, we're getting about 50 - 52 mpg at the moment so should be ok to get there & fill up on way home.

When I filled up, probably about 35 miles after it started flashing, we had 360 miles on the trip, which I always reset when I fill up. I always also make sure now I fill to the brim, to eliminate diferences in pump cut off etc. anyway, it took 31.88 litres to brim it. Must have been on fumes by then :-}

I have demonstrated on here, that on frequent occasions , my display will drop 2 bars (usually 2nd and third ) over a distance of only 6 miles . we have had long discussions on here about the display. the range of each segment varies a huge amount depending on the day. If you car share with another, you could pass the car over with what looks like half a tank left and 10 miles later you are down to a flashing light . I have taken to get the fuel info straight from the ECU via my Heads Up Display which is accurate. So it would seem the sensor is ok just the algorithm used in the display circuitry.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links