Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1St To 2Nd Gear

Carl1983

Hi

I have a 10 plate avensis tourer 2.2 150. The issue I have is changing from 1st to 2nd there's a slight crunchy feel as if you haven't pressed the clutch properly. At first I thought it maybe the clutch for surely 45k is abit early? It appears to do it more so when cold. I have a 2.2 auris before and this also appeared to do it. Does anyone have suggestions or know what it cold be?

Thanks

carl

Synchro hub worn?

Do you change gear really fast not giving time for gears to mesh.

Also do you not fully depress clutch when changing gear?

This will cause accelerated wear on the synchros

Or is there a problem with clutch hydraulics causing poor clutch disengagement that wears synchros as above.

Id do a gbox oil change and look for metal/brass in the drained oil

Hi Carl, your first port of call should be Toyota as it should be under warranty for 5 years.

It maybe gear cable adjustment or getting the gearbox oil changed as i believe they are now using a different oil to cure this fault, either way it's down to Toyota and FOC!

Regards Pete,

If you do go to Toyota about this please stick to your guns. I was fopped off when I complained that 1st - 2nd was lumpy and, when engaging first from stationary, the car nudged forward as though the clutch was dragging. 100k miles later it still does it.....

• 4 weeks later...

At last somebody else with same issue has me. My T180 has done it from new its now on 87k and is no worse or better than it was the day i had it. i had the gearbox box cables replaced made a slight improvement but still not cured. Its worse in the cold weather. I have asked at the main dealer every time its been serviced and they are unable to find anything wrong.

afaik this seems to be normal for this gearbox (certainly mine did it).

I know that Mistermena changed gearbox oil to another type & reported an improvement.

My avensis is a 2004 model and has exactly the same problem as yours. All I do (and can do really as Iv no other choice) is change gears slower. That makes the gear changes very smooth.

I changed the gear oil too but that didn't make a difference. Yours is still in warranty so speak to toyota about it and let us know what they say. Alot of us will be following this thread.

This issue has been covered on the forum many times before. It's absolutely typical of the 2.2 gearbox to crunch going into 2nd gear. The Auris does it, the RAV 4 does, the Avensis does it. Some owners have cured the problem with a transmission oil change - a search for this subject should bring it up in more detail. A 'straight' property oil (instead of a variable type) appears to help greatly.

• 2 months later...

I tried to post this morning & my hyper-active mouse then kindly deleted it all for me - aaaarrrrgh !

Anyway, yesterday my Auris had an interim service in which I also asked for the gearbox oil to be changed to a straight 75W spec. Low viscosity, full ester stuff as recommended by many on here before. At first the service manager was a little reluctant I think to do it, but once I had explained the reasoning & he had researched it things changed. Apparently when he contacted head office at Toyota, they actually said it's now a recommended oil for the 6-speed gearbox on 2.2 D4D's. So you can choose to keep the standard 60-75W oil in or change to the straight 75W without hassle. :)

I've only been driving it for 1 day with the new oil in & of course the weather has been hot, but even so there is a noticeable improvement in the change quality (between 1st & 2nd). Not a night & day difference, but definitely better. Time will tell how it goes.