Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Air Con Filter (Cabin)

GRB

Hi all

you may want to check your cabin filters, according to manual should be replaced every full service.

My wife had been complaining of occasional smell in car which i put down to her folowing too close to others in traffic. However after she had gone on about it i decided to check the cabin filter it was in awfull state. Lots of tree/bush bits and filter black with dust on both sides. Car is 09 plate full Toyota sevice and this has obviously never been changed or cleaned out.

Bought new one from GSF and took all of 2 mins to fit, result no more smell. Might want to check yours as looks like could be easily overlooked

Tells you where located in handbook

Now my car is 3 years I'm doing all the services myself and am keen to look at the cabin filter as I doubt it's ever been changed.

I did a service the other day, oil, air filter Etc. but didn't get around to the inside. (I was getting cold) If I get a few minutes over the weekend I'll pull it out and take a look. Probably should just get a new one anyway and fit it rather than try cleaning it.

Cheers

Craig.

I can vouch Craig that they do not clean very well. Like Geoffry, I took mine out and it was manky, with the same issue of bits of leaf, twig! Twig I ask ya! How the heck did that get in there? Muck and dust too, very dirty. Supposed to be a 3 year life on them but I feel it should be changed at 2 years or earlier judging by the state of my filter. Now you mention the smell too, my wife keeps blaming me and I say, 'Ney, ney, whinnie! Tis not I, tis the cows in the fields and the shi* spreading dirty farmers!' But she insists it's me. No, my wifes name is not Whinnie, see Blackadder...

For info you can get the filter from GSF part number 123TO0070 about £9 . Whilst doimg it get an air con deodoriser (trade call it a bomb) Take old filter out and spray in some of the deodoriser into the hopusing. The refit filter, start engine and run aircon on recirc for about 20 mins. You place the deodoriser (holts brand i used from GSF) in between front seats with spray latched on and close door.

Air con systems do grow bugs and this is what causes smells, particularly if filter is a s bad as mine was! The deodoriser kilss off the bugs and freshens car

Now mine is out of warranty i will be servicing myself, got a very good CD from David (tarquin on forum- thanks David) that is very helpfull :cheers:

I got that CD too, Very useful it is. :)

I have one of those aircon cleaners in the garage, I bought it for my last car but never got around to doing the job, soon as I saw an iQ I had to buy one! :)

As for servicing yourself, so far I've found it's all pretty simple stuff, air filter, oil changes, brakes Etc. are all standard things but I would recommend you try to find the correct tool for removing the oil filter.

I see you have an iQ3 as well so you need a really big filter socket, can't remember what size they are now but I didn't have one and managed to use a strap wrench but was on the verge of giving up when it finally came undone.

Next job for me in the summer, apart from the cabin filter, is to get a look at the spark plugs. I know they probably wont need changing but I'd like to look at them and apply some antiseize compound to the threads so they come undone when I do need to change them. only downside is you need to remove the inlet manifold to do that!

Craig.

Craig

Yes IQ3 has leather interior with IQ stitched into headrests, previuous owner said was special edition. We have no idea, loved the car and was surprised with it being fitted with 6 speed box. We bought it to use as tender for motorhome, but wife loves it ! so cant fit a frame to it now

Where did you get your spoiler looks different to the Toyota one

Regards

Geoff

Well, Iv'e done my filter. I was out this morning and passed my local Toyota dealer so dropped in, pulled out the old filter, walked in and said "Have you got one of those?" Chap asked me if I'd like a clean one or with dirt included but they had them in stock so decided to take a clean one. A bit more than your £9 but I was there and so was the filter so paid the extra for the one in a Toyota box.

It was pretty dirty to say the least, I turned the fan up full on the way home to blow any other debris out the filter housing then fitted the new filter when I got home. Pretty easy job, you just need to make sure the clip on cover is latched at the top before clicking into place but not too tricky.

Photos below showing before and after with the part number for anyone that wants it.

Geoff, My spoiler is a US Spec Scion spoiler. I ordered it from a Toyota / Scion dealer in the States that was advertising on eBay. It came in a nice box complete with template, fixings and fitting instructions and was already painted too. They call the silver Classic Silver I think whereas it's called Tyrol silver in this country but the paint code, 1F7 was the same and it's a perfect match.

There is some more pictures on my build thread...

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/134890-an-iq-called-toya/?hl=toya

Craig.

post-116364-0-22916800-1365253188_thumb.

post-116364-0-12958100-1365253199_thumb.

• Like 1

I paid £36.28 including the VAT for my cabin filter from the local Toyota dealer. It comes with a couple of stickers too that you can write the date on to remind you when it was last changed. :)

Craig.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links