Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Correct Oil Choice.

Phil White

I have a 2012 Aygo and as being a mechanic i am going to do the first service myself.

I ordered the oil and filter from my local Toyota dealer and they sent me 5w30 premium grade oil.

Now in my Aygo handbook it says my car was shipped from the factory with 0w20 grade oil and this is what should be used.

It also says that 5w30 can be used if 0w20 is not available but replaced with this as soon as possible.

I contacted my Toyota dealer who said they always use the 5w30 grade and assured me this is the correct one.

So why does my handbook tell me to use 0w20??

Can someone help clarify which oil i should be using as i don't want any engine problems by using the wrong grade.

Thanks.

This is an ongoing issue.

The owners manual of my previous (2009) Auris 1.33, and the owners manual of my current (2012) Auris 1.33 both say the same thing.

Had the 0W-20 oil used for the first service of the 2009 car - no problems. The dealer used 5W-30 oil for the second service and economy suffered by as much as 6mpg.

When I bought my current Auris the supplying dealer said they weren't able to supply a top-up bottle of the Toyota 0W-20 oil - so I sourced a 1 litre bottle from another dealer 75 miles away for less (including postage) than the supplying dealer was asking. I've also had written into my service plan that 0W-20 oil is used.

Customer Relations at Toyota don't seem to think there is an issue - but I am sure they haven't grasped the fact that dealers are not using the oil that owners manuals state should be used.

For info there is an 0W-20 Mobil 1 oil, which could be used in place of the Toyota oil.

The issue of what constitutes the 'correct grade' of oil remains unclassified.

You are correct in that the Aygo ships from factory with 0W20. This oil is predominantly used for 'economy' purposes as it is thin and highly viscous. I have found that many Toyota GB dealers will use 5W30 in lieu, but crucially they will use semi-synth variety.

Toyota GB are oblivious to the fact that there is variation between their dealer groups. For me, I use 5W30 fully synth. Castrol Edge oil and my car is fine. I don't see a compelling benefit to using 0W20 as its not a spec. Used commonly in the UK. The Edge oil exceeds Toyota's standards, is easily available and if that oil is OK for my modern BMW, Lexus, VAG engines, you betcha it's more than OK for the humble Aygo.

I suggest you stick with a good quality fully synth. oil in your Aygo and t'll be fine.

"it is thin and highly viscous"

That's a bit of a contradiction. Highly viscous is thick. Do you mean thin and of low viscocity?

viscous(adjective)

having a thick, sticky consistency between solid and liquid; having a high viscosity:

Yes 0W-20 oil is used to improve economy, but I don't think that is the sole reason. Why have the line "that 5w30 can be used if 0w20 is not available but replaced with this as soon as possible" in owners manuals.

"it is thin and highly viscous"

That's a bit of a contradiction. Highly viscous is thick. Do you mean thin and of low viscocity?

You know what I meant ;o)

Yes 0W-20 oil is used to improve economy, but I don't think that is the sole reason. Why have the line "that 5w30 can be used if 0w20 is not available but replaced with this as soon as possible" in owners manuals.

Best to ask Toyota. I've read that and have decided that if 5W30 is good enough for my BMW (which has a highly tuned and crafted engine) then it's fine for my humble 3CYL 1L Aygo :D

Manuals are written for multiple markets, clearly 0W20 isn't usual spec. for the UK and so I'm not going to loose sleep over it. We've done 35k mies/4 years with 5W30 fully synth. and had no problems.

If 0W-20 wasn't UK spec, cars sold in the UK wouldn't have 0W-20 - they do, so it is.

I changed the oil and filter today using the 5w30 they supplied so I will monitor my MPG.

At the same time I decided to adjust the rear brakes.

If 0W-20 wasn't UK spec, cars sold in the UK wouldn't have 0W-20 - they do, so it is.

If 0W20 was UK spec. then there would be more cars using it and it would be available more readily and above all Toyota GB dealers themselves would use and sell it. It's an obscure oil spec. used purely for improving fuel economy.

I'm sure there are other markets where it's used widely, and good luck to them. But here, it's not.

If 0W20 was UK spec. then there would be more cars using it and it would be available more readily and above all Toyota GB dealers themselves would use and sell it. It's an obscure oil spec. used purely for improving fuel economy.

I'm sure there are other markets where it's used widely, and good luck to them. But here, it's not.

Now let us see an end to this!

0W20 is a UK specification oil and is supplied by either Mobil as Mobil 1 or by Toyota under their own brand

The requirements to use 0W20 are laid out in the current handbooks and this should be followed

If 0W20 is not available it is acceptable to use 5W30 but this should be changed at the earliest opportunity as it is acknowledged to affect fuel economy

0W20 oil is increasingly available on the high street........Just ask for it!

Toyota, here in Sweden (with winter temperature dropping down to minus 20 deg C) insists that it is Toyota's own oil 5w-30 that should be used and that is what they are stocking in their workshops. Is Toyota original/genuine oil synthetic or semi synthetic, I do not know. Toyota suggests that their own oil is good for fuel economy. Who really makes Toyota oil we do not know. It could be different suppliers in different countries and they all could be manufacturing it to Toyota specification, with regards to additives etc. There are some people here in Sweden and Denmark who seem to "know" that Toyota oil is really Castrol edge 5w30! Who knows? Why are they suggesting 0w20 in UK, a much warmer place, I do not understand! AND if the oil is changed every 15000KM or once a year (as per Toyota instruction here) why bother with a expensive 0w30 super synthetic? (In my BMW the oil is changed once in two years and there, a fully synthetic oil is justified)

0W20 is a UK specification oil and is supplied by either Mobil as Mobil 1 or by Toyota under their own brand

The requirements to use 0W20 are laid out in the current handbooks and this should be followed

Toyota dealers themselves are not using this spec. oil for servicing of Aygos. As I said, many use 5W30 spec. for the range of servicing - but worryingly, some use the semi-synth. variety which is unacceptable.

With regards to my choice of words, let me amend them, 0W20 is not a usual spec. of oil or readily available as 0W30/5W30.

If Toyota GB supported the use of 0W20 then they would mandate its use by their Dealers, they don't hence 0W20 isn't mainstream.

However with the increasing focus on emissions and economy I can see 0W20 being pushed by Toyota even here in GB.

Toyota dealers themselves are not using this spec. oil for servicing of Aygos. As I said, many use 5W30 spec. for the range of servicing - but worryingly, some use the semi-synth. variety which is unacceptable.

With regards to my choice of words, let me amend them, 0W20 is not a usual spec. of oil or readily available as 0W30/5W30.

If Toyota GB supported the use of 0W20 then they would mandate its use by their Dealers, they don't hence 0W20 isn't mainstream.

However with the increasing focus on emissions and economy I can see 0W20 being pushed by Toyota even here in GB.

I must disagree with you on the fact that Toyota dealers do not use 0W20

My car has 0W20 specified in the handbook and the Toyota Dealer always has used the correct grade and provided a 1 litre top up pack (which I have never needed)

If the dealer that you use is not putting the correct grade in your car then I would suggest that you report this to Toyota GB and find an alternative dealer for your servicing

0W20 is increasingly available on the high street although it is slightly more expensive than the other incorrect grades.......but hopefully this may change as more people use it :)

Miller also market 0W20 fully synthetic oil through Opie Oils....A TOC Approved Supplier

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-73730-millers-oils-nanodrive-cfs-0w-20-nt-full-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

Nearly every Dealer I have spoken to in Bucks/Oxon/Northants/Beds will use 5W30; split evenly between those using synth. and semi synth. - and as for Toyota GB, their response is speak to your dealer.

Dealers are clueless and when you read the handbook, 0W20 is recommended but other grades are fine as long as they are up to spec. and Castrol Edge 5W30 far exceeds Toyota spec. and is more than appropriate for the Aygo.

If folks want to use 0W20, go for it but I'll happily use Edge.

Nearly every Dealer I have spoken to in Bucks/Oxon/Northants/Beds will use 5W30; split evenly between those using synth. and semi synth. - and as for Toyota GB, their response is speak to your dealer.

Dealers are clueless and when you read the handbook, 0W20 is recommended but other grades are fine as long as they are up to spec. and Castrol Edge 5W30 far exceeds Toyota spec. and is more than appropriate for the Aygo.

If folks want to use 0W20, go for it but I'll happily use Edge.

That is fine if you are prepared to compromise on economy

The handbook is clear on the grade of oil to be used

Why have the line " 5w30 can be used if 0w20 is not available but replaced with 0w20 as soon as possible" in owners manuals?

Why have the line " 5w30 can be used if 0w20 is not available but replaced with 0w20 as soon as possible" in owners manuals?

Best to ask Toyota as I've already said, even their own franchises Dealer network doesn't use this oil. I guess that it's because to keep costs down, the manual is written for world markets. All I know is that 0W20 isn't a common spec. of oil in the UK and that was my only point.

I'm happy to use fully synth. 5W30 (which many Toyota dealers use) and if it means I loose a little in economy, I'm fine with that; and at the end of the day it's only an Aygo :D not a super car or highly tuned BMW engine that has very specific oil requirements.

I reckon Toyota used 0W20 as a hack to get the CO2 produced low enough to qualify for lower tax bands which is why it's 'officially' specced in the UK.

We know from our Prius members that a lot of dealers substitute 5W30, probably because it's semi-synth and thus a LOT cheaper than fully-synth 0W20.

My dealer seems to use 5W30 in pretty much every car that they service; They'll only use other grades if asked to, and I suspect they'd charge extra for that. (Assuming they remembered to; The new dealer near me has been almost useless at doing anything other than follow the normal service schedule!)

I know several people here buy the oil themselves and make the dealer use that when servicing the car. If you want to make them use a specific oil, this is the probably the most sure way. Just make sure they deduct the oil from the bill if you do!

Some bed-time reading on oil viscosity:

http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/Auto_oils/oil_viscosity_explained.htm

This info shows quite clearly that 5W-30 oil is adequate for the UK climate.

My car hasn't been serviced during my ownership and I haven't needed to add any oil. Therefore, I haven't given any thought to what oil to use. As 0W-20 is specified for the Aygo and having followed this thread I will definitely be discussing this matter with the dealer when service time comes around. My thoughts are that, if 0W-20 is specified in the handbook, then use it.

My car has done 12500 miles and has been dealer serviced. I've noticed that the engine does sound a little rattly when first started on a very cold day - not surprising but maybe a good reason for using 0W-20...?!

Not sure what that proves, I can post a few links for 5W30 oil; fact is, 0W20 is currently a less well known spec. - that's all I'm saying. and as Cyker has also said, Toyota's own dealers don't use it in his experience (which aligns with mine). I'm sure it will become more common as there is a renewed focus on economy, which I surmise is the reason Toyota use it as factory fill - however there is no guarantee that Aygo's come with 0W20 from factory, we only assume it is because the handbook says 0W20 is preferred, not that it is actually filled. Has anyone actually verified what oil the Aygo comes as factory fill? Do we know for fact that this is what these cars come with? It's just conjecture at this moment.

The handbook (specifications) for the Auris does state that 'SAE 0W20 is filled into your vehicle at manufacturing' (petrol models) - no mention of preferred.

The handbook (specifications) for the Auris does state that 'SAE 0W20 is filled into your vehicle at manufacturing' (petrol models) - no mention of preferred.

I'm sure it does, and no doubt so does the hybrid Prius and possibly the iQ; but I'm not talking about those cars as (1) this is an Aygo sub forum and (2) I am talking about Aygo as that's what I have, own and run.

I'm sure Toyota GB will push the 0W20 spec. in more vehicles of their range and it will get popular with stricter emissions and economy measures coming through. But right now Toyota are one of the many manufacturers we have in the UK and most use 0W30/5W30 fully synth. as the majority, hence making it the norm.

And if you read the first post, the Aygo owners handbook mirrors the Auris

And if you read the first post, the Aygo owners handbook mirrors the Auris

Yup so it does, I missed that, my apologies. I only focused on the recommended bit. Wish Toyota's own dealers would follow this advice.

Still doesn't change the stance that 0W20 isn't widely used oil spec. in the UK.