Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

First Service, Wondering About The Warranty.

Shaunyac

Hey, I'm coming up to my first year with my aygo, on the 21st May it'll be a year old and due for it's first service. I was wondering, in regards to the warranty, where I should take it. I know I don't have to go to the Toyota dealership, as long as the service centre is warranty approved and stamps my service book right?

I was thinking, as it's only an intermediate service, Kwik Fit are cheaper than the dealership, and I have a 20% off code, which would reduce the cost to £64!! Does anyone know if there'd be any issues regarding the warranty if I took it here?

Also, when do I have to have it done, could it be anytime in May or does it have to be nearly exactly a year after I bought it (I'm guessing there's a bit of leeway!)

Sorry for the long post but as soon as soon as I find out I'll book it in, and there's no point ringing Toyota as they'll just tell me to take it to them for £99.

You can use any VAT registered garage to carry out the service, you do need to ensure that they use the correct parts, oil & that they service the car in accordance with Toyota's specification/schedule.

In terms of timings Toyota allow 750 miles/1 month around the due due point of 12 month/10,000 miles whichever is soonest.

The Toyota £ 99 Intermediate service is more than just an oil and filter change

Intermediate Service

Free Visual Safety Report

Free Wash and Vac

Check all pedal(s) and component(s)

Check steering wheel

Check horn

Check washers

Check wipers

Check interior lights

Check exterior lights

Check warning lights

Inspect air conditioning filter - replace as necessary*

Check seat belts

Drain engine oil

Replace oil filter

Inspect air filters

Refill engine oil

Check levels and refill as required

Inspect suspension

Inspect steering

Inspect tyres

Inspect wheels

Check and adjust tyre pressures

Inspect brake pads and discs

Torque tighten wheel nuts

Check radiator and condenser

Check belts

Check Battery

Recheck for fluid leaks- underside and engine bay

Recheck all levels

Reset service lights or monitor as required

*Additional charges apply if work is required

Would Kwick Fit do all of this and use the correct specification oil and a Toyota branded filter for the £ 64 ?

Toyota would also carry out any outstanding warranty or Service Bulletin work that Kwick fit would not know of

I would prefer to pay the extra and save the 20% voucher for when some tyres are needed...........Even then I would still compare the price that Toyota charge for replacement tyres against other independent suppliers

It really depends how long you want to keep your Aygo and if you feel a "Full Toyota Service History" will add any value at trade in

I would be inclined to go for the Toyota service. Toyota's Fixed Price Servicing is very competitively priced compared to other car manufacturer's service schemes. You then don't have any quibble whether the car has been serviced according to Toyota's requirements, should you have a warranty claim. Also if you keep the car until after the warranty has expired, you're more likely to get help from Toyota by means of goodwill.

Example: a colleague with a Mitsubishi Colt had the 3rd year service done by an independent. Some months later the throttle body needed replacing at a cost of £350 for the part plus labour. She approached Mitsubishi re a goodwill payment, but was refused as she had gone outside their dealer network for servicing. OK that was Mitsubishi's stance, and not Toyota's.

Why not explore the merits of a service plan through your Toyota dealer - but make sure the plan is based on the Fixed Price Servicing costs. This way you will spread the cost of servicing over several months, rather than facing a big bill. Probably too late now for the first service.

This service by Toyota is quite extensive and well done for that price. Here in Sweden I paid about 240 Euro for the same service; which means you guys have a really cheap deal. Ofcourse all of that can be done DIY, if you are meticulous and go according to that list above but for the cheap price of Toyota fixed price service, I would save my self from the DIY hassle.

By the way Red Yaris, I do not see brake fluid flush in that list. Is that extra in UK?

"I do not see brake fluid flush in that list. Is that extra in UK?"

A recommended optional extra every two years (£34?).

Shaun, I wouldn't go near Kwik Fit with a 10 foot long disinfected bargepole, especially for "servicing". It's cheap for a reason!

I agree with Frosty, go for the fixed price offering. At only one year old there should be absolutely no extras and it should take them less than an hour if you book a time and wait.

In essence, a service consists of oil/filter change and a whole bunch of checks that mean very little. Read the list, it's all 'inspect' and this is the same with every car's service schedule, many (if not most) you can DIY. The real important ones like checking for brake linings, they now don't even take off the wheels to measure correctly; it's just a visual check and estimation - makes me angry.

But I digress :P

I personally would never buy a car which was serviced stamped by KwikFit; I barely trust them to replace tyres on my vehicles and even then I watch them carefully because they can quite easily mess even this simple task up. The point Re: goodwill is also important, because if you don't show any loyalty to the manufacturer, why then expect them to show goodwill?

You have invested in a new car, pay for decent competent servicing and have peace of mind.

Ok, thanks for all the replies guys, I think I'll book it in with Toyota as from what I've heard it's not worth risking it with Kwik Fit, and for £35 it's not worth the hassle if I ever need to be concerned with the warranty. Thank you all for the input (:

So the real price would be 99+34 pounds= 133 pounds. That is very cheap!

Actually the Toyota service is £99. The Kwik Fit service is £64 which makes a difference of £35, but from what people have said, it's not worth going to Kwik Fit to save £35 compared to the possible hassle I could have by using them.

One last question if people would, when I need to have the brake pads & discs changed, again, does it have to be by an approved garage or could I do it myself to maintain the warranty? Seems quite expensive having to do everything through the official channels when I can do it myself, but I suppose it's the price you have to pay to maintain the warranty??

One last question if people would, when I need to have the brake pads & discs changed, again, does it have to be by an approved garage or could I do it myself to maintain the warranty? Seems quite expensive having to do everything through the official channels when I can do it myself, but I suppose it's the price you have to pay to maintain the warranty??

You can do the work yourself if you are competent......but this may invalidate the warranty

You can use any VAT registered garage to carry out the work, but you do need to ensure that they use the correct parts & that they service the car in accordance with Toyota's specification..

personally i would use the dealership as when you sell the car it will have a full manufacturers service history

our local dealer has the full service for just £180 which is fantastic ,i pay £185 for just the basic oil change service

for my car (not a toyota) but i like everything to be dealer now i'm getting older and cant be bothered to service my car

myself i'd rather let the garage do it.

Actually the Toyota service is £99. The Kwik Fit service is £64 which makes a difference of £35, but from what people have said, it's not worth going to Kwik Fit to save £35 compared to the possible hassle I could have by using them.

I doubt if Kwikfit would ever check and tick off those points in the check list like the Toyota workshop (I remember from my past experience with kwikfit when I lived in Britain about some 24 years ago, when kwikfit changed tyres and exhausts mostly at rapid pace!). i would chose Toyota any day.

Right, I rang Toyota today and have booked it in for a service the same time they're fixing my leaky door seal, on the 3rd of June. Which means I'll also have a free courtesy car for 3 days :D Thanks for everyones input, I decided to go with Toyota for peace of mind and there's absolutely no way they can ever dispute if the warranty is valid or not now either (:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links