Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Excessive Wind Noise Driver Side New Sport Model

Thewper

Anyone else experience this? it went back to garage this week, they can't see anything wrong with it but I find the noise when driving 50mph+ unbearable, it even whistles. Garage is waiting to hear from Toyota to see if anyone else complains of same problem

Hi Karen, welcome to the club :)

Get them to go for a drive with you on a road where you'll get to do 50, maybe they've only taken it out on a slower road near where they are based? Have they taken it for a test drive with the wing mirror turned in? This would rule out the noise coming from the wing mirror (maybe from a tiny gap or something). If its still making a noise, get them to tape off round the rubber seal of the small triangle shaped window, if the noise goes away then, it'll be a tiny gap in the seal. Something so small you'd never be able to see. I'm sure you've looked really close at the area the noise seems to be coming from and compared it to the other side that's not making a noise.

I'm sure you'll soon get it sorted.

I have read earlier postss on here of wind noise on the AURIS and at least one was down to the door mirror.

The early Yaris used to suffer from a "whistle" from the drivers door mirror for which Toyota issued a Service Bulletin to introduce a high density foam filler into the mirror folding area

Your whistle could possibly be cured in the same way............Failing that, I would recommend joining in and whistling along in tune ;)

I find the wind noise on the new Auris more noticeable than on my previous car (Fiat Grande Punto). It seems to get worse in a crosswind, but even then I wouldn't describe it as "unbearable".

• 7 months later...

I get this on my '59 Auris SR180.

It's the narrow gap where the wing mirror folds. I tied a cloth around it to test and the noise stopped.

I was going to put something on permanent but it would have meant I couldn't fold the mirror when parking.

I just live with it now and turn the music up if it gets annoying.

I found the whistle to be a major irritation especially when driving at speeds faster than 50 mph. I got the dealer to fit an old Yaris aerial which is short and smooth instead of the long and curly factory fitted one. It certainly eliminates the wind noise and the whistle. The slight drawback of course is that the DAB signal isn't quite as strong but it works 90% of the time out in the country. I rarely have to drive in a built up area so I haven't tried it there yet.

Dont have any problem with the wind noise or maybe im just ignoring. Why not try an.alternative Aerial? Ive replaced mine with a sharks fin aerial( like those on BMW) and dont have any problem with any reception at all.

• 4 months later...

My Auris Excel also seems to suffer with this, one noise as if the drivers door window is not shut properly (over 40mph) and another noise / whistle from further back, perhaps the aerial sometimes when you drive faster.

They could not find the cause and they will contact Toyota as it seems I am not alone.

I know at least they took it for a test drive as they kindly left McDonald's take away rubbish in the car with half a bottle of water.

That, the fact they had no fix and the flat Battery issue has made me less than a happy toyota customer...

No wind noise on my new 2014 Auris (Touring Sports).

In fact, it is the quietest and smoothest car/engine I have ever owned. Feels like a silky smooth V6.

It's the aerial.

It's most noticeable in a cross wind and sounds like a police siren in the distance, unscrew the aerial and see if it helps.

• 10 months later...

I have been driving my 2010 Auris hybrid the last while (I'm normally in a Prius), and the wind is seriously bad. Has anyone identified the cause in the Auris (1st gen, 1st gen facelift)?

I've had two Auris (2009 and 2012) - no wind noise in either.

OK thanks. I'll check the door and seals. It's certainly more prominent on the driver's door. Might even chalk up the seal, close the door and see how much is transferred!

• 2 weeks later...

I went and checked out the seals. I even chalked up the seals, closed over the door to see how much transfer of the chalk happens. At the top corner of the door, there is limited connection of the outer seal with the door centre stile. The inner (second) seal is also very poor.

As I drive along, and if I put my hand up to lean on the top corner of the driver's door, the wind noise gets noisier. I am thinking the door needs adjustment. the seal design isn't at all great in this location as I can see the seal is not shaped well enough.

Anyone on here corrected this by replacing seals or adjusting the door?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links