Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reversing Camera On A Xt5

webleymk3

I'm gearing up to install a reversing camera on my XT5 which needs to be installed on the bumper somewhere around the number plate. I've been looking at the cameras where you take out one of the number plate light fittings and replace it with one with a camera built in..

Has anyone previously done this and if so is the angle on the camera ok?? I imagine most of these are made to be on the boot door and am concerned the camera will be pointing too far down to be much use.

Something like this: http://tinyurl.com/bwp7djc

It leaves me wondering if i need to get something adjustable, more akin to this: http://tinyurl.com/c3jcpgx although in silver it looks awful!!!

Thanks

Dave

I have "something" like that I fitted to my van.

I initially thought the camera would be pointing down to far, but actually it is perfect for my purposes. In my case I wanted to view exactly how far I was away from another vehicle or wall when parking up (so pretty normal requirement!) and when I use the camera, I can reverse within a couple of inches of the obstacle, which is pretty good for a vehicle the size of a Renault Master :)

I'll see if I can find the actual kit bought (was on eBay), but was about £70 including the 7" display (which also has Sat-Nav)

Hoovie,

Apparently (I say apparently cos i've not check with my own two eyes) the XT5 is wired and ready to go.. all I need is the camera. If you could take a photo of your display when in reverse to give me an idea of what it will look like that would be braw.

My plan is simply to cut off the current S7 connector and re-terminate it onto a RJ45 socket. That way i can then use a cat 5 patch cord to take it through to the inside of the car. The camera comes with a long power and video lead which I will feed through to the inside of the car where they shall all be connected together. Simpilsk! in theory!

Just be aware what it says in the ad. . . . Check the dimensions compared to your reg light holder. The most common RAV4 camera/light on eBay are for the 4.2 models with the Spare on the rear door, and it is a smaller unit that the 2006 on models (I nearly fell foul of this when I got mine). Unfortunately I can't find the seller that I got mine from, but the one thing I've found is that it points more to the ground that I would have expected. However the benefit of this is that I can reverse within millimeters of the car behind me. . . . . I may look at angling it so that I can see a bit more of the view behind me.

Sorry, silly question time..

I wonder how much toyota would want for a new camera, or how much a s/h one would be ?

Thanks Tony. Would you mind taking a photo of your display so I can see it. You've confirmed my concern that the camera will be aiming too low.

Jolly, I think they come in at around £300!!!

Reversey beep beeps are us....!!!

Thanks Tony. Would you mind taking a photo of your display so I can see it. You've confirmed my concern that the camera will be aiming too low.

I'm not having you in my parts department guessing prices for customers.............try £572

:D: :thumbsup:

I'm not having you in my parts department guessing prices for customers.............try £572

:D: :thumbsup:

......with Reversey Beep Beeps a fraction of that woeful price.

I have found the camera method REALLY good personally.

On the Qashqai and the current RAV4, they were factory fitted systems and just perfect for reversing.

On the Renault Master self-fit, it is not quite as good, but still great for reversing (and the camera was fitted with distance marks similar to factory systems.

My first Reversing camera system was a self-fit on my RAV4.2 and in that case there was no marking and I had the camera pointing a little bit to much pointing back rather then pointing down, which meant with no reference point to the vehicle and no markings on the display, judging the distance was nowhere near as easy as the later ones.

So relevance of this waffle? Make sure the display has a distance indication (either built into dislay or onto camera itself), and you see some of the bumper in the display, just as you would set door mirrors so you see some of the door.