Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4 Starting Problem

johnyedan

My Mk 1 Rav 4, 2000, 230k mileage, has been fantastic for years but a fault has developed which the garage cannot identify. If the car is moved a very short distance, only yards, and then left for a period it is impossible to start. New Battery, power pack, jump starting from other vehicle all fail. Engine turns over fine . Last time when being towed to garage tried tow start which worked.Back at garage no fault found. Any suggestions as to the fault?

Thanks

Sounds like flooding to me...........................

My Mk 1 Rav 4, 2000, 230k mileage, has been fantastic for years but a fault has developed which the garage cannot identify. If the car is moved a very short distance, only yards, and then left for a period it is impossible to start. New battery, power pack, jump starting from other vehicle all fail. Engine turns over fine . Last time when being towed to garage tried tow start which worked.Back at garage no fault found. Any suggestions as to the fault?

Thanks

petrol or diesel ??

Hi John and welcome to the club :thumbsup: .

Are all earth connections clean and tight on the ignition side as this could affect the voltage available when the starter is demanding a lions share from the Battery when cranking? This of course only applies to a petrol model

Also it is not a good idea to tow a 4 wheel drive motor as it can damage the transmission.

As mentioned above it is useful to put on your profile more details of your model.

Del

Hi John and welcome to the club :thumbsup: .

Are all earth connections clean and tight on the ignition side as this could affect the voltage available when the starter is demanding a lions share from the battery when cranking? This of course only applies to a petrol model

Also it is not a good idea to tow a 4 wheel drive motor as it can damage the transmission.

As mentioned above it is useful to put on your profile more details of your model.

Thanks Crofter,

Will check out connections today,and thanks for advice about towing

Johnyedan

Del

My Mk 1 Rav 4, 2000, 230k mileage, has been fantastic for years but a fault has developed which the garage cannot identify. If the car is moved a very short distance, only yards, and then left for a period it is impossible to start. New battery, power pack, jump starting from other vehicle all fail. Engine turns over fine . Last time when being towed to garage tried tow start which worked.Back at garage no fault found. Any suggestions as to the fault?

Thanks

petrol or diesel ??

Petrol

Thanks

petrol or diesel ??

Petrol

- MAF sensor;

- sparks el contacts;

- throttle

• 1 year later...

My rav 4 when cold starting idles and if i try to rev it up it dies . after several attempts it makes a wearing noise as if the petrol is being pressurized once this has ha pend and completed i can happily take it above ten revs and theirs no problem starting for the rest of the day until its been left for over night then its unhappy again Has any one suggestions on a fix or what could be the isue ? thank you Isabell

I have seen a similar problem I fitted a second hand distibutor £35 been great since

• Like 1

This was a reasonably common problem on the 4.1 after a few years. If left for a period of time, the fuel drains back from the delivery line back to the tank. The fuel pump has a non-return valve to prevent this happening but with age, the valve fails to seal properly. When you turn on the ignition - the fuel pump runs for a few seconds to pressurise the delivery line. The pump then stops and doesn't restart until the engine has fired. If the delivery line is empty, it won't pressurise fully on the timed cycle. The usual way of overcoming this in the short term is to switch the ignition on for 5 seconds or so - switch off and repeat a couple of times so that the delivery line gets pressurised - it's sort of what you are doing with multiple attempts to start the engine. A few checks need to be carried out first but the remedy is probably a new fuel pump.

• Like 2

The Garage are fixing it on Wednesday. I took the RAV to be looked at yesterday .It was diagnosed with a bad mass air censor and a blow on the exhaust. I am having some new tires fitted as-well