Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis 1.8 Petrol Clutch Judder

KWUK

Hi, I've looked on various forums about this problem that's started on my car, but none of the circumstances are the same as with mine, so hope you can advise specifically.
This is my third Avensis in past 8 years, so I know what's normal, and never had previous problems. Had this current Avensis (petrol 1.8) for just under 4 years; it's nearly 5 years old and has done only 37,000 miles (genuine I believe, only one previous owner).

The juddering problem started recently, at first it seemed to be intermittent, but I've now established a clear pattern.
Most of the time everything is fine; can do longish runs eg 1-2 hours, motorway trips etc no problem. Stop, engage first gear, let the clutch out as normal - everything fine - until -

If I do trips which are stop-start - eg traffic congestion, driving through city centres, lots of traffic lights, rush hour driving etc, then everything ok for first 20 mins or so of that kind of use. Then first signs of judder arise when letting clutch out starting in first gear.
As the stop-start traffic timescale increases, so the judder gets progressively worse. Eventually have to do extra blips of accelerator and balance clutch abnormally to overcome the increasing judder; try to get into second gear as fast as possible. Only occurs in first gear.
Following day - back to square 1 - everything seemingly normal. Another long trip is ok. Stop-start traffic ok for first 20+ mins again, then the judder slowly arises again.
Tried the checks for clutch slip, does not occur. Tried reverse gear (doesn't seem to judder, even when first has started juddering). Doesn't seem to occur in second gear.
Planning to consult with a garage, but thought it's better to seek feedback here first - eg likely cause, possible rectification cost ?
Thanks for any advice you can give.

First guess is the clutch is overheating; If it's part worn that can exacerbate things causing the judder. May also be some contamination in the clutch hydraulics which is being affected by the heating.

Thanks for your feedback, Cyker.

Hopefully what follows is not a stupid question - any idea what sort of thing might cause the overheating ?

I've not changed my driving style in recent decades on the road and no previous car (including my two previous Avensis) has shown anything similar. Any idea of what's needed and order of cost to resolve the problem ?

If it only does it going forward and not reverse, have a look at engine mountings.

Unless the car has been used to tow heavy loads I wouldn't expect the engine mountings to fail at such low mileage. That said, it doesn't cost anything to visually inspect them so have a look, try to rock the engine and see if you can detect significant play. When you are driving does it feel as if the engine jumps about on its mountings when you go from acceleration to deceleration? 37k miles is fairly low for a clutch but you mention 20 mins of journey then repeated stop-start motoring. That will reduce clutch life significantly and the symptoms you describe are consistent with clutch issues.