Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Couple More Questions

Duffryn

Getting used to the Prius now, love it in fact, but would welcome enlightenment on a couple of queries.

First up - I don't particularly like the smart-key locking idea so I don't use it, preferring to use the remote 'blipper'. However, after locking the door using the 'blipper' I find that it will still open by just grabbing the handle as if it has been locked using the smart-key system. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong here?

Also - I have so far been unable to find an engine temperature (ie water) gauge, is there one hidden anywhere?

TIA for any advice.

If I am not mistaken there is a button under the steering column that you can push to disable the smart key system.

As for the temp gauge, there isn't one.

If I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me.

I drive a gen 2 so do not have the smart key option.

HTH

Stick the key in your pocket or bag.

Never get it out again- Leave it there for ever.

Blipping is a neanderthal. You don't have to do it

Pete :-)

(to answer your question, touching the handle does unlock the door just as effectively as blipping)

• Like 1

Pete's got the right idea. I never use the bleeper. If you really don't want the smart entry system it can be disabled by a dealer (page 555 in my edition of the manual) but it looks as though it also disables the smart start system.

A quirk of the system is that you can't lock the car if there is a key inside. I've been caught out a few times when my wife has left her key in the car and walked off. When I try to lock the car it simply lets out a long bleep and I have to search the car to find her key.

In case you haven't come across it, if you lock the doors twice within 5 seconds they cannot be opened from inside until you unlock the car. This stops someone smashing a window and then reaching the inside handle to open a door, but must not be used if someone is left in the car as they would be locked in.

And yes there isn't an engine temperature gauge.

Ok, thanks for all that. But allow me to explain my particular problem.

I lock the car by using the remote bleeper, which I happen to keep on the same key-ring as my house front door key. I let myself in my house and lock myself in by locking the house door on the inside, and leave the key in the lock for convenience.

By design my house 'front' door is actually on the side of my house, with the driveway with my car parked on it directly outside the door. This leaves my car nearside passenger door about 4 - 5 feet away from my bleeper which is inside my house door as explained.

Still with me? :bored:

It therefore appears that anyone can walk down my driveway and open my car door, as it responds to the bleeper/smart key which is 4 - 5 ft. away, allbeit inside my front door. I have proved this myself by trying it. Locking the car by using the remote bleeper alone still doesn't prevent the door from being opened, and I also wonder if the car could be started up and driven off in this situation, with the key still being in my house. Or maybe the key must always be within a few feet of the car for it to be driven at all. I'll read the manual again!

I realise I can keep my smart-key further away from the door in my house, but, as I say, it's convenient to keep it with my house key in or near the front door.

So.....well done if you've followed that little lot! :yawn:

The car is equipped with all the necessary equipment to enable you to monitor the temperature except for the gauge itself. Some enthusiasts use a device called a scan gauge which may be used to monitor temperature amongst a myriad of other things.

I think the key has to be in the car to allow the engine to start but if you have tested that the door can be opened why not carry on and see if it will start?

It therefore appears that anyone can walk down my driveway and open my car door, as it responds to the bleeper/smart key which is 4 - 5 ft. away, allbeit inside my front door. I have proved this myself by trying it. Locking the car by using the remote bleeper alone still doesn't prevent the door from being opened, and I also wonder if the car could be started up and driven off in this situation, with the key still being in my house. Or maybe the key must always be within a few feet of the car for it to be driven at all. I'll read the manual again!

So.....well done if you've followed that little lot! :yawn:

The key has to be in the gen3 for it to start.

To stop the smart key system detecting the keyfob while in your front door, put some metal between the fob and the car to block the radio connection between the two (experimentation needed). Or remove the Battery from the keyfob. This will stop the radio connection. This will mean that to start the gen3, you will have to have the keyfob near the start button when you press it to start the car (it has an RFID backup).

Or, have a spare front door key which you use just for this situation and put the bunch of keys away.

Yep, just tested it and the car certainly won't start without the key in it. Don't really want to take the Battery out of the key fob, so will just have to hide it further away from the car.....inconvenient, but guess I'll just have to live with it.

Thanks for your advice.

So why do Toyota give me toys I don't want:-

Smart key - cos quite happy with wireless remote key

Auto wipers - cos I can see when it's raining

Auto h/lights - cos I can see when it's getting dark

But - don't give me electronically folding door mirrors which IMHO is unforgiveable on a car considering what the Prius costs.

Always found them most useful on my previous Avensis.

Moan over :) .

The other problem with leaving your keyfob within the Smartkey range is that the fob Battery will not last as long and you could run your 12v Battery down on the car, due to the fob and car interrogating each other all the time. IIRC, you need to leave the fob at least 6ft away from the car to prevent this.

Best bet is to take the fob off the keyring and leave it in your coat pocket (unless your coat is hung up on the same door of course ;0))

Blimey, hadn't considered that one either. Coat probably is hanging marginally within 6ft of the car. Whoever dreamt up this smart-key idea??

I'll have to think about moving house at this rate! :dontgetit:

Should have got a T3 ;) No auto wipers, no auto headlights and smart key on driver's door only.

In the USA, the base model gen3 had no smart key.

On a brighter note, the facelift gen3 has power folding door mirrors.

"in the USA" - fine, but I don't really want to move that far :no:!

Would have considered a T3, except that I fancied having cruise control (a first for me), and used T3's seem to be few and far between anyway. In fact used Prius in general aren't particularly common where I live, there's not even a Toyota dealer in the city of Gloucester!.