Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheel Bearing Problem

My first toyota

Hi all.

I am a proud owner of a 2004 avensis 2.0 d4d tspirit.

The wheel bearing has been shot to peices on the front passenger side. At first it only made a scrathing noise when going round right bend corners but now its making a noise all the time.....and its quite embarassing tbh.

The reason Im posting is because Iv been told I need to replace both of them (wheel bearings) at the front or I risk damaging something else. Sounds like rubbish coated gobledeegook to me. Is it?

How much can I expect to pay for it? Is it a difficult job?

Just general info is what Im after really. Thankies.

You're correct. You only need to replace the knackered one. I've not changed one on an Avensis but I'd guesstimate a couple of hours labour tops plus the price of the part. Non genuine bearing should be maybe £10-£30?

Morning all! As you are very proud of your car,as most of us are, I would not consider doing just one side. Assuming both sides are original, doing just one in my opinion is false economy as they have both done the same mileage & same age. If both are done you can rest easy that you won't have that problem again & not waiting for the other to go!!!. Can't help with cost tho' but a good indy should not be that expensive? Hope you get it sorted soon (before it collapses & seizes) good luck and keep us posted eh? :thumbsup:

Lol though Im a proud owner of a very good car, I don't like the idea of getting work done that doesn't need doing. I mean the one on the other side is fine so Id like to get my moneys worth out of it before/if I replace it.

Im just interested in knowing if a new wheel bearing on one side will damage something else if the other side is old. I don't think it will. If it will Id love to hear about it.

Getting it sorted on thursday. Hopefully it'll last till then.

By replacing one bearing is not going to effect anything else.

"as they have both done the same mileage & same age"

Not necessarily. It could be that just the "good" bearing has been changed at some time in the past and they weren't done as a pair.

Each to his own of course, but as I said, 'Assuming' both are original I don't see the point of only changing one and then having to have it back in the garage again when the other one goes,more cost,time,hassle etc. On the basis of only changing one failed part per axle does that mean only 'one' leaking shock,broken spring should be replaced? not for me! It parts have a pair or opposite part I change both,always have but you know what's right for you. Hope you get it sorted. ;)

I changed one front wheel bearing a few years back in November 2009. The other bearing is fine to this date. I could have changed the other side, but did not have the time. I have my own press to remove the bearing.

If the remaining bearing needs changing, it would be no hassle to change it. The bearing has done over 3 extra years so far!

I like what Im reading

It is good engineering practice to change both bearings at the same time however, unless you have owned the car from new or have a complete service history, you don't know when the remaining good bearing was last changed so you may be replacing a nearly new bearing. Also, as this is a simple job and each side is independent of the other, when the work is being done there is no actual saving in doing them both at the same time.

On my car, as I have owned it since nearly new, I would change the pair just to save two trips to the garage. On my 14 year old multiple owner transit I change them one at a time to minimise expense.

Good to see other owners opinions,always nice to read how others do things. ;) Have always been belt n' braces, maybe my Navy aircraft training coming out! Lol. However you chose to sort things will be right for you I'm sure. Keep us posted how it goes, having it quite again will be nice. Regards, Nick.

A twist in the story.

Yesterday I went to my local trusted mot centre/garage. After listening to the noise the car makes the main mechanic said the bearing doesnt need replacing. Just greasing. This is totally new to me because from what I know you cant repair a bearing.

The sound it makes is a scratching noise everytime the wheel turns. Feels abit like the backplate was scratching the disc but it isnt the backplate. So, can my wheel bearing be hushed up with some grease? Or is the bearing fine but something else at fault?

I would expect to find a sealed unit bearing on a front wheel drive hub. Looking at the manual for my car it shows a sealed unit. Tapered roller bearings can be silenced by greasing but they are referred to in the servicing schedule as they require adjusting and/or greasing during routine servicing. If you have a scrachting noise it is unlikely to be the bearing and more likely to be brake related. The symptoms you describe sound like worn pads. They are fitted with a device to make a noise when they get low. Whip you wheel off and check your pads - I bet its them.

The wheels been off twice.

The brake pads have plenty of meat on them and were taken off, blown clean by a high pressure air hose and put back together. This was because I thought the scratching noise was down to brake dust. Didnt cure the problem.

The sound first started when I used to go round right hand bends only, then got worse to a situation now where its making that noise all the time.

Going to the same garage tomorrow to get it greased up.

Will keep you guys informed.

Quote ....Yesterday I went to my local trusted mot centre/garage. After listening
to the noise the car makes the main mechanic said the bearing doesnt
need replacing. Just greasing.

He's having a laugh mate, never heard such crap!

Druidboy is correct they are sealed parallel bearings, have you checked for a stone trapped between the disc and backplate. Wheel bearings rumble/drone normally but can screech if very dry of grease but either way they need replacing and it's not an easy job without a press, it can be done by knocking the centre out then the outer race and even with a press this can still happen.

Pete.

Aahh so the scratching noise CAN come from the bearing but it still needs to be replaced, right?

Im going to see him tomorrow. Will take some pics if I can and show you what hes done.

Update.

Hes done the job and hasn't charged me. He told me to see how it was for a few days and pay him if its okay. It seems fine now. No scratching noise at all and it seems like the steering is a bit lighter. I dont know what hes done as I left the car with him. He says he just greased up the wheel bearing but whatever hes done has worked.

Wheel bearings these days are sealed and prepacked with grease.there is nothing like a grease nipple to grease a bearing with.

Even if a bearing was removed from the hub it cant be greased.

But what ever the chaps done he has seemed to have cured the noise.

Thats exactly what Im thinking. Hes won my trust and custom over the years. Went to pay him this morning but he says its fine. No charge.

That's good news! he's sorted the problem foc n' saved you the cost of a bearing or two! Lol. Glad you got it sorted & hope that's the end of the problem for you. Quiet driving from now on eh. Cheers, Nick

Good news and a very helpful attitude form your mechanic. He clearly has confidence in his work so good on him.

Next time I get a sealed bearing changed I'm going to play with the old one to attempt to figure out how to get grease into them.