Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Aygo Has A Penchant For Tyres

ihpj

I wanted to invite comment and advice from fellow Forum members with regards to my Aygo's appetite for tyres that is chronicled as below:

* first change @ 8279M front two tyres

* second change @ 18115M and full set of 4

* third change @ 26845M front two tyres

...and as we approach 35k miles, can you guess? The Aygo is telling me it needs a full set if 4 tyres. However, for the first time I note the front tyres are showing wear on the inner edges on both sides - something that I've never had. Although I tend to get 10k miles from my fronts, they have always had even wear and pressures checked regularly. Anytime new tyres have been fitted tracking has been adjusted as necessary.

So...what I'm asking is:

1. What tyres are people running and what longevity are you getting from them? When I bought the car, Eco 3 tyres were about £35 each, but now as they are £50+ it hurts having to replace them as often as I have done since I bought the car.

2. Looking ahead, I'm considering Kumhos (or similar) - anyone running these tyres and offer any comments?

3. Speculating on inner tyre wear, if I rule out tracking, I guess it's got to be worn suspension?

Car will be going into Mr. T for its 4 years service shortly and I defo. will mention the tyre wear and ask them to double check the suspension - but are the any other ideas people?

As ever, safe driving :D

See the following for indications of tyre wear - http://www.maxxis.com/Repository/Files/tire_damage.pdf

We've had experience of Kumho tyres on a 2007 Mazda 2 and its replacement a 2012 Hyundai i20.

With the Mazda the Kumho Ecsta KH31's replaced the OE Pirelli P Zero Neros (195/45/16's). Despite the harsh ride caused through being 45 profile, the Kumhos were quieter and gave better ride comfort than the Pirellis. Wear seemed on a par with the Pirellis. No problems with grip in wet or dry weather. Quite satisfied.

Kumho Solus KH17's (185/60/15) are OE on the Hyundai i20. Although the i20 has only just done 4000 (it will be a year old at the end of this month), wear seems OK. Performance in dry, wet and snow/icy weather has been OK.

For info Marshal and Admiral tyres are the other Kumho brands sold in the UK.

Thank you fr the contribution. I like the Kumhos (which I believe come fitted to certain VAG from factory). Am also toying with the idea of Toyos...but I lean towards Michelin or Cntiental tyres only due to my trust in those two brands. Like brakes, I won't skimp on safety critical components; however I have used Kumhos on my PUG 205 GTi to great success.

Kumho have a contract to supply 200,000 tyres for the Polo.

So...what I'm asking is:

1. What tyres are people running and what longevity are you getting from them? When I bought the car, Eco 3 tyres were about £35 each, but now as they are £50+ it hurts having to replace them as often as I have done since I bought the car.

I had to replace the front tyres (standard ECO 3's) at 18000 miles and i replaced them with Michelin EnergySaver E3B's. So far after doing 28000 there is still 5mm tread left on the fronts and 4mm left on the rears (or so Mr T told me at the service). I will chenge the rears when the tread gets to 2mm or when they start to crack!

Personally i like the Michelins more as they seem quieter and i seem to get better fuel efficiency.

The wear on all my tyres is very even but i do check the tyres every two weeks and top up with air when they need it.

I got 60k out of my original Eco 3, changed them for another set of Eco 3, currently at 50k on them

Well I've had Michelins on my Aygo and they have worn out as quickly as the two sets of Eco3s.

It looks like certain Aygos are either very easy on tyres and brakes, while others aren't - it appears mine isn't one of the former. So deciding that I refuse to pay £50+ for premium tyres that are lasting 8K'ish miles so I am going to opt for Unirotal RainExperts supplied and fitted for £40 ea. from my local tyre place.

Unless folks here have any thoughts advising gainst, I'm going plump for a full set very shortly. It didn't hurt when Eco3s were £35'ish but at 1.5 times that it's just not acceptable.

Appreciate the input guys :D

I have Uniroyal Rain Experts on the wifes Honda Jazz and they seem to be fine to me. Can't really compare them (in terms of wear/noise) to my Aygo though as the cars are quite different.

To be honest i didn't know they did them in Aygo size. It would be interesting to see if you experience any significant loss of fuel efficiency with the rain experts on vs the 'eco' ones.

I asked similar questions in November 2011 shortly after I bought my Aygo Go!

I was concerned that the tread was only about 6.5 mm after 900 miles but then discovered by measuring the spare that the tread only started at 7mm. Whereas on my wife's RAV and other cars the new tyre depth was 8mm.

I have now done 10000 miles and there is still plenty of tread left (about 5mm on front and 6mm on rear). However Mr T measured them as lower at the last service but I trust my own measurement with digital vernier calipers!

David

have you had the tracking checked out recently?

also, how heavy is your right foot?

Well I've opted for the Uniroyal RainExpert tyres all round - hope they'll last longer than circa 8K miles the Michelin and Contis did :P

Tracking sorted (didn't need massive adjustment apparently) so its service next - will mention the tyre wear to them and see what they find. Looking forward to seeing how these Uniroyals bed-in - being a Continental brand I'm expecting great things :D

As a price check, I paid £42 fitted per tyre. I can whole heatedly recommend a tyre place if anyone else is interested.

...also, how heavy is your right foot?

It can be heavy :D but then again the Aygo is the 4th car in our household so it gets driven by everyone for pretty much any purpose. It's pretty versatile but given its usage and reliability, I can't complain if it's eating tyres (wish it didn't though).

I purchased my car in April (09 Plate, 13k on the clock) last year, the tyres were in good condition when I bought it but can't remember the tread depth. I had to replace the fronts in December, with over approximately 22k on the car, I'd done about 10k in 8 months. I decided to go for Kumho tyres as I had heard good things about them. I have been largely impressed with them, they seem to ride, handle and brake as well as the Continental Eco Contact 3's that came fitted to the car - but they appear to be wearing quicker than the Continental's did, but I have been doing a lot more motorway miles since having the new tyres so it's not really a true comparison.

I'm about to get Kumho tyres fitted my girlfriends 58 plate Aygo, she does about 500 miles per month so I expect them to wear a lot better than my set has, as she only does local journeys, with the exception of the occasional trip to family in Lewisham from Kent.

4th year service complete, Dealer tells me they gave the suspension and bushes etc. a very thorough going over and found nothing out of place. Can't fault them TBH and in the absence of anything out of ordinary, we'll see how these Uniroyals wear.

Interestingly enough, I see new Aygos come shod with ContiPremium Contact 2 tyres, which is a different tyre to the hitherto standard fit Eco3. Was tempted to go with these (over the Uniroyals) but given the cost I opted for the (cheaper in terms of cost) Uniroyals (£43 vs. £55 ea.).

Early indications are these are very grippy, provide very good feel (Aygo feels a tad more agile?) and dare I say quieter than the Eco3 - so I'm very happy for now, but it's early days; want to leave it 500M as they will scrub in by then and give a better representation of how they truly are. But first impressions are very good (Conti. own Uniroyal after all).