Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Deep Idle Sound At 1500Rpm Sr180

Markham90

Hi guys.

Recently I've noticed a deep sound from the engine when at 1500rpm. It's a different note to when I got the car and to me very noticeable.

I can hear it in all gears but its of course louder in lower gears as in going slower.

I've clean the EGR valve about a week ago, never solved the problem. It was very clogged!

It's recently had a full service too.

The MPG is also shockingly bad. It used to be average around 38mpg and I've driven hard about 35mpg now the most I'm getting is around 33 if driven very sensibly. And under 30 if driven hard.

I've tried fitting the air filter in again and making sure its located properly. It seems to help for all of 5 mins and its back to being very loud.

Any suggestions on what this sound is? Is poor mpg connected to this? Why is the fuel comsution so poor?

Tomorrow I'm getting the car terracleaned, hopefully it makes a nice difference I'll let you all know.

Cheers in advance.

I hate to say this Lee, but you MAY have the dreaded 2.2 engine problems. Keep a close eye on the coolant expansion tank for any serious changes in level when cold or even a hint of brown ie. oil in the water. Also check the oil level when cold & keep tabs on how much it may be using. Personally I'd report this to my local Toyota dealer & let them decide what action should be taken to check on the health of the engine.

I recently had to top up the coolant by about half a litre. I didn't notice a massive drop, But when checked the oil I noticed it was on the low side.

These dreaded engine problems. You sound as though you've heard this before. What could the problem potentially be?

After opening the air filter housing, and ensuring its clicked in properly, the deep sound has fine away. No doubt it'll be back again soon!

My cars no longer under warranty so im hoping this doesn't get too expensive!

Various google searches point to head gasket. I have a few symptoms but not most. In prayingggg its not that!!

I'm booked in with toyota next week so hopefully they can sort it before it gets worse.

i was in toyota the other day and they told me that some parts have a 5 year warranty on them... mine expires this september... id take it to them if you get any more issues and be really nice and see what they can do :)

I recently had to top up the coolant by about half a litre. I didn't notice a massive drop, But when checked the oil I noticed it was on the low side.

These dreaded engine problems. You sound as though you've heard this before. What could the problem potentially be?

There's a ton of information on the 2.2 D4D's problems on this forum Lee, look at Charlie's guide thread.

FOUND THE PROBLEM

the problem with the deep noise is the air intake pipe.

Where it enter the air filter housing, there's a foam gasket that forms a seal. My foam gasket is twisted and perished, meaning it cannot go flush against the lip of the plastic (and allowing air to escape)

Tried to use a sheet of foam to correct this but no joy as of yet.

I doubt this is linked to poor mpg but who knows!

To be honest Lee, mine has the same dodgy foam fitment & it makes no difference to the car at all. So the noise might be coming from there, but the duff MPG is something else altogether .....

The noise is 100% coming from there.

My mpg on a 3 hour drive driving like a priest in 6th gear no exceeding 70mph was 41mpg.

This is with he tdi tuning chip and freshly terracleaned.

Lots of people on this forum are complaining about poor mpg, no idea what causes this. The quoted combined mpg from toyota is 46. I've never once ache over anywhere near this!

Taking it to toyota next week to enquire as in not happy.

!Removed! iPhone changing everything I write.

"I've never once achieved anywhere near this" is what I meant to say!!