Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Airbag Defect Recall

sproutdreamer

The USA news refers to an airbag chip succeptible to being triggered by in car entertainment kit and the Uk news talks about airbag malfunction on inflating such as overpressure and bursting. Are there two seperate recalls here but both to do with airbags?

I tried the Topyota recall site with my car details but it did not seem to recognize my VIN number, buit that may just be because my car, a 1.8 VVTi 2003 GLS is not in the cars with this problem. Any ideas about cars affected in the UK by this problem?

I have spoken to TOYOTA GB Directly today & they have asked me to post up this update on here, on their behalf ...

"The Information relating to the problem's with the Air-bags on certain Toyota's is being updated constantly by Head Office and should be more complete by the beginning of next week.

The fault is 'in the event of an accident, the passenger AirBag might not deploy properly' but they have said that as of 11;00am GMT this morning there has only been 5 cases of this happening, Worldwide.

If anyone has any concerns about whether their Toyota is affected, to go to their Local Main Dealer and speak to them, who will be able to offer up-todate information and check individual vehicle information. They have also recommended that People try to wait until Monday or Tuesday to do this, as it gives them more time to get the detailed information out to the main Dealerships."

TOYOTA GB have informed me, when I asked them about this, that they are unaware of any problems relating to the AirBags being 'Triggered by In Car Entertainment Kits including Stereo's'.

TOC members should note that TOYOTA GB has posted the official TOYOTA directive on the following:

http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/frame_start.jsp?id=Owners-Info-Recall

However the information given above regarding taking time and waiting a while may well be worth bearing in mind.

Any owners of affected vehicles will receive an official letter

I checked my 54 plate T spirit last Thursday and it was due to go in under recall. Shame it got hit by a tractor the following day, not ONE of the airbags deployed....not one!

I have spoken to TOYOTA GB Directly today & they have asked me to post up this update on here, on their behalf ...

"The Information relating to the problem's with the Air-bags on certain Toyota's is being updated constantly by Head Office and should be more complete by the beginning of next week.

The fault is 'in the event of an accident, the passenger AirBag might not deploy properly' but they have said that as of 11;00am GMT this morning there has only been 5 cases of this happening, Worldwide.

If anyone has any concerns about whether their Toyota is affected, to go to their Local Main Dealer and speak to them, who will be able to offer up-todate information and check individual vehicle information. They have also recommended that People try to wait until Monday or Tuesday to do this, as it gives them more time to get the detailed information out to the main Dealerships."

TOYOTA GB have informed me, when I asked them about this, that they are unaware of any problems relating to the AirBags being 'Triggered by In Car Entertainment Kits including Stereo's'.

I am not happy that Toyota are not giving the full story in the UK. In the USA and elsewhere there have been a number of reports of airbags just going off without a crash but fortunately no fatalities.

Toyota USA Press Releae on 30th Jan 2013

Of the two recalls announced Wednesday, the Corolla and Matrix issue is

more involved. Toyota says the air bag control module for the

supplemental restraint system in the Corolla and Corolla Matrix vehicles

could have been manufactured with faulty circuit boards. If it

malfunctions, it could cause a short, causing a buildup of heat or

potentially causing the air bags or seat belt pretensioners to deploy

when there hasn't been a crash.

The air bags inadvertently inflate when the vehicle's electronic signals

damage a chip in the part that controls the air bags, Fuse said. Under

the recall, the part will be corrected to be able to block such signals,

he said.

Looks like Toyota GB are playing with words and being "economical" with the truth here-not impressed by this lack of transparency.

My Avensis 03 1.8 shows as not needing recall-any ideas which models of Avensis are affected?

Firstly

With the amount of dis information which circulates the internet, people should be looking to their own countries Toyota website. The USA air bag / seat belt pre tensioner recall of Jan 2013 is not part of this latest air bag campaign

Specifications of cars vary so much around the world, that means a recall may be live in the USA, but because of different manufacturing plants or processes, that recall does not affect Europe

Secondly

Toyota have learned their lesson very well from the accelerator pedal issue. Toyota is a different world from where it was just a few short years ago. In terms of openness, the recall was announced WORLDWIDE on 11th April. They issue the information that is available right at that moment in time. Things like the website checker, recall letters, parts, training and procedures all come later, it is not possible to have all the information to hand worldwide all at the same time

Sproutdreamer: I would suggest that you are confusing two recalls, then trying to blame Toyota GB for not being open about a recall that probably does not affect Europe. If your vehicle is affected, then you will be written to in due course. As with all recalls, they are phased, you cannot repair millions of cars overnight, it will take time, but it will be completed as soon as possible. If you put your vehicle details into the checker on the Toyota GB site and it says your car is OK, then sit back and enjoy your car

Kingo :thumbsup:

As an aside, BMW are currently assessing which of their models are affected by the Takata airbag recall.

Thanks for info Parts-King. I still think Toyota GB could have been more open and said that there were airbag problems with airbags prematurely inflating due to the car electrical system but that was only in the USA. Now that would have been open and transparent rather than the partly correct answer quoted below.

This is PRECISELY what I mean about internet misrepresentation. As far as I am aware, the USA vehicles were recalled due to a faulty air bag module which short circuited, nothing to do with short circuits of the stereo unit

Let us stick with the FACTS ABOUT THE USA RECALL

The above link HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH the current UK recall

KINGO

So the situation is that in the USA the airbags may inflate on their own and in the UK they may not inflate in a crash!

My point is that it was not open of Toyota GB to disclaim all knowledge of self inflating airbags (in the USA) on a point of detail. It would have been better if they had come clean about the USA problems, but clarified it was only in the USA. That would have demonstrated that they have moved on!

**** man, just be glad that they put the information out there for you to gripe about in the first place!

I'm getting quite scared at the number of problems we've come across in my dad's Focus which should have been recalls but aren't!

KEEP CALM........CARRY ON

wait for your recall letter (if applicable) :)

KINGO

So the situation is that in the USA the airbags may inflate on their own and in the UK they may not inflate in a crash!

My point is that it was not open of Toyota GB to disclaim all knowledge of self inflating airbags (in the USA) on a point of detail. It would have been better if they had come clean about the USA problems, but clarified it was only in the USA. That would have demonstrated that they have moved on!

From past experience it is better to post the FACTS as they are in the UK, it confuses people when you mention other countries, your mind reads "exploding air bags" but it doesnt read "USA only" thats why they stick to facts for the UK market. The internet is quite capable of making a complete cats rrr's of a press statement all by itself :lol: They did not deny self inflating air bags. They denied self inflating air bags caused by audio or stereo equipment setting them off which at this moment in time is NOT a fact but internet speculation

Taken from Auto Express today (17th April 2013):

"Japan's big four car manufacturers are putting a brave face on the mass recall announced last week. A total of 3.4 million cars are being called back globally over a potential fault with a passenger airbag. These comprise 1.7 million Toyotas, 1.1m Hondas, 480,000 Nissans and 45,000 Mazdas, all sold between 2000 and 2004.

But Toyota - which is recalling 78,000 models in the UK - is hoping to 'turn it into a positive', according to a spokesman. He added: "It's an opportunity for dealers to talk to owners od older cars and build a relationship. They then might continue to use the dealer for future servicing.'

The potential issue means an airbag could deploy abnormally in a crash. However Toyota - which is recalling Yaris, Corolla, Avensis, Avensis Verso, Picnic and Camry models - has assured customers it would still work in an accident.

In the UK, the issue also affects 59,000 Nissans - a mix of Patrols, Almeras and Navaras - 15,400 Hondas (mostly CR-Vs) and 1,900 Mazda 6s.

The problem came to light after Toyota received five reports of the fault - three in the US and two from Japan. There have been no complaints from UK owners and Toyota confirmed there'd been no injuries as a result of the issue."