Do Not Sell My Personal Information

12V Socket Making A Weird Noise?

AYGOgummy

Hi all,

Has anybody else experienced a strange noise when using the 12V socket located above the cup holders in the Aygo? I'm noticing this particularly under acceleration - it's almost as if the sound of the car accelerating is sped up to a high pitch, like in a cartoon. Noticed it especially today as my iPhone was charging via the 12v socket. It's actually quite an amusing sound, but I just thought I'd check in case it's a sign of something dodgy. Anyone else experienced this?

Hope your Aygos are all well :driving:

I haven't noticed anything like that on mine. It sounds like the sound you are hearing is a bit odd though, it not the charger acting up is it?

I don't think it's the charger; I've got two and they both make the same noise. Will double check though, hadn't thought about that.

does the sound come through the iPhone or through the Speakers,years ago cars used to suffer from an alternator whine this is when you could hear the engine revs as a whine that increased in pitch as the revs increased and the cure was to fit a suppressor to the alternator maybe get your alternator checked out or more probably i think you iPhone is so sensitive you can hear it through the phone Speakers

does the sound come through the iphone or through the speakers,years ago cars used to suffer from an alternator whine this is when you could hear the engine revs as a whine that increased in pitch as the revs increased and the cure was to fit a suppressor to the alternator maybe get your alternator checked out or more probably i think you iphone is so sensitive you can hear it through the phone speakers

I don't think it's the phone because it's only recently started to make this noise... it sounds like what you're saying about the alternator, but why would that only happen when something is plugged into the 12V socket? Very peculiar. I'll do some more experimenting and see if it becomes any clearer! Thanks for replies so far!

i am not saying there is something wrong with your phone but with phones being packed with sensitive electronics it could be coming through the phone ,i would try charging a different type and make of phone and see if the same happens also try charging in another car see if you get the same results

Is this when the phone is plugged into the stereo at the same time using the 3.5mm jack?

Ive had this same problem, since i upgraded my head unit its stopped. the reason for it is called a ground loop and you can buy something to go in between the stereo and the phone to stop it, ill have a look and see what they are called they not expensive. i dont know much more than that

Edit:

this is the product that does in theory solve the problem

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GROUND-LOOP-ISOLATOR-WITH-GOLD-PLATED-CONNECTORS-/140500004951?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Cables_Leads_Connectors&hash=item20b673f057

I can only speak from experience....I was supplied with a company phone and I bought a very cheap charger from a market...it made a whizzing or buzzing noise through the radio which increased as the engine revs increased, I went and got another from a respectable retailer and it was perfectly ok .......that may not be the issue you have but like someone else said, try it in another car and see if the same thing happens..........Years ago when My mates and I had motorbikes my parents used to complain that as I approached home their TV would get interference and I had to fit a 'suppressor' which is similar to the item 'Emile 1920' mentioned ....it will be interesting to see what solves it for you ;-)

Is this when the phone is plugged into the stereo at the same time using the 3.5mm jack?

Ive had this same problem, since i upgraded my head unit its stopped. the reason for it is called a ground loop and you can buy something to go in between the stereo and the phone to stop it, ill have a look and see what they are called they not expensive. i dont know much more than that

Edit:

this is the product that does in theory solve the problem

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GROUND-LOOP-ISOLATOR-WITH-GOLD-PLATED-CONNECTORS-/140500004951?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Cables_Leads_Connectors&hash=item20b673f057

Yes!! Sorry, probably should've added that information before! It's normally when I've got music playing through the phone via the 3.5mm jack on the stereo. I'll take a look at that. Cheers.