Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gt4 St205 Water Pump

Racingmcfly

Does anyone know when the water pump that pumps the charge cooler water to the radiator at the front should come on? Should it run all the time, my charge cooler seems to get very hot on top of the engine, the water is boiling yet the radiator at the front is ice cold?

the water is boiling yet the radiator at the front is ice cold?

Hmm.... what on earth might that suggest? Your coolant isn't circulating? and at a guess I would suspect that the pump should run all the time as you can't cool charge air too much. Something is blocking it or the pump isn't pumping. I'm not sure bout those if they're electric or a belt driven like the engine coolant but a belt driven pump will definitely pump all the time so check that a belt hasnt flown off and left a pulley sitting idle.

If the chargecooler coolant is boiling something is seriously wrong.

As far as I know the pump is activated upon any throttle use, so at idle it wont work - as soon as you move off it will start.

The pump is electric - that would be the first place to start.

I would advise driving the car very little if at all and keeping well off boost until you've sorted it.

Hope it gets fixed soon :)

Toyota is really dumb when it comes to intercooling if thats the way they work Sirius. Don't take tthat the wrong way, I'm not saying that you're wrong, I don't know for sure what the setup is, but you think that Toyota would've sorted it after the problems with the ST185 soaking up the heat at standstill? If I was a 205 owner I'd be hard wiring that pump and whacking a fan kit on the radiator. I got a fan in the scoop on mine and off the mark its a dramatic improvement, no timing being retarded.

Toyota is really dumb when it comes to intercooling if thats the way they work Sirius. Don't take tthat the wrong way, I'm not saying that you're wrong, I don't know for sure what the setup is, but you think that Toyota would've sorted it after the problems with the ST185 soaking up the heat at standstill? If I was a 205 owner I'd be hard wiring that pump and whacking a fan kit on the radiator. I got a fan in the scoop on mine and off the mark its a dramatic improvement, no timing being retarded.

I know what you mean :)

Its not quite as bad as the ST185 because its water - takes much more time and heat to get the thing hot.

Unfortunatly hard wiring the pump is not really possible - it brings up and error code which affects the ECU.

I actually have a water spray bar setup for my IC rad :) I have also lagged the chargecooler with aluminiumised cloth.

The ST205 setup is actually very good - its enough for 400hp

pump kiks in on boost you can wire it to run constant but you need to put a ceramic resistor in to stop the ecu throwing in the towel and chuckig up a fault code and reducing boost. think there are details on the GT4OC (www.gt40c.com)

Well the pumps working, i have found the relay that controls it and hardwired it. It does now chuck up an error though. But it definaltley stays a lot cooler, so more investigation is needed. Only problem now is i have worse problems. Had the turbo go a few weeks ago so have spent out 700 bucks on a new one. Turbo works fine much better than the old one and spools up a lot faster.

The only problem is that the car has started to blue smoke from the exhaust. It smokes when it has left idling and you give it a few revs. First thing i thought was it must be the turbo as it was the only thing that had changed from before. So was gonna send it back to be looked at. Took it of and have noticed that there is a small amount of oil running down the exhaust valves. This must be where it from. The plugs are not oily so this makes sense.

I take it this means the valve guides are screwed! So after just spending almost a grand on turbo, parts etc im a little :censor: off!

I find it a bit strange as there was definatley no oil there when i changed the turbo. Anyone got any ideas. It doesnt smoke untill it has warmed right up so was thinking maybe a different weight oil? im using 10w 40 magnatec???

Any suggestions would be very appriciated :help::help::help:

pump kiks in on boost you can wire it to run constant but you need to put a ceramic resistor in to stop the ecu throwing in the towel and chuckig up a fault code and reducing boost. think there are details on the GT4OC (www.gt40c.com)

I am fairly sure this only applies to the ST185CS/RC which have a seperate control unit for the chargecooler pump.

No one in the UK as far as I am aware has been able to make the 205 pump run constantly.

I have heard of a guy in Australia who used some pretty fancy electronics to make his run constantly but I don't know what that involves. :unsure: