Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid Buying Advice Please?

nespresso

Hi :)

I was Googling for info and found myself here. Looks great. Thank-you for having me.

I am looking for a company car for the daily commute and occasional business trip and am seriously considering a Toyota Yaris Hybrid T4. I currently drive a 2-litre diesel estate and my work-related milage is less than 7000 miles per year so the higher Hybrid mpg isn't the main attraction. I am impressed by the technology and the low BIK payments.

I booked a test drive recently and found it quiet, comfortble and easy to drive (it was a T-Spirit, not the T4 I am planning to order). The engine revving when I wasn't expecting it was a bit offputting but I guess I'll grow used to that. I also found the automatic transmission perfect around town. We have a second car for family hols etc.

Do you drive a Yaris Hybrid? I will be grateful for any advise or pointers please, before I sign on the dotted line :help:

Thank-you,

Steve

I looked at buying one. Try driving at 70mph for 10 miles. Very noisy. I did not buy.

Is that road noise or is the engine being run at some crazy RPM? I didn't think the Yaris hybrid engine would have been so noisy except during acceleration! Either that or they expect it to be driven at 60mph and tuned it to cruise at that speed...

OTOH it does have excessively low profile tyres, esp. for a car marketed for its economy (As we know, small lighter rims = better mpg), which probably transmit a lot more road noise than a higher profile tyre would (The difference in road noise between 35psi and 38 psi on my 14" rims is surprisingly noticeable so I'd imagine going from 15" rims to 17" rims would be even worse!)

The noise doing 70-80mph on the motorway isnt that bad on 16 inch 195/50s , and i cant see the hybrid being worse , unless the difference is on the tyres that comes with.

Also the Yaris Hybrid T-Spirit has 16 inchers as standard and the others T3 & T4 has 15 inchers

The only Yaris that has 17 inchers as standard is the Mk2 SR 1.8

Engine noise

Thank-you for the responses :)

I will be buying the Yaris Hybrid for city use (it'll rarely exceed 50mph on the ring-road) so I am not concerned at it's lack of motorway performance. We have another larger car for long journeys. My test drive around town was very quiet and smooth, it was only when I floored the pedal on a hill that things got noisy. I was aware of the effect a tyre's profile has on a car's ability to absorb bumps in the road and how a wheel's diamater affects the turning circle but I hadn't considered the effect on road noise. I drove a T-Spirit with 16" alloys but would be ordering a T4 with 15" alloys so hopefully I'll hear even less road noise.

It is interesting that nobody actually owning a Yaris Hybrid has responded. I guess they aren't selling many. I don't think that puts me off, I am looking for different driving experience. If I wanted more of the same I would probably opt for an Avensis (which has been winking at me from the outset).

I have noticed the Auris Hybrid is made here in the UK so I am going to try that too before taking the plunge. Nothing against the French (they manufacture the Yaris) but it would be good to keep my UK-£ in the UK, if possible.

Thanks again for the comments B)

Steve

Would have been interesting to see the level of response if you had posted the topic in the Hybrid/Toyota Prius forum. There are one or two topics there re the Auris Hybrid, so it may be worthwhile having a look.

I think the Yaris Hybrid is one of the best Hybrids ive driven, and Ive had a few!

They are no noisier than any other small car at 70 MPH I currently run a 1.33 Yaris, very happy with the road / engine noise although the engine is noisy if pushed hard. You need to drive one yourself in order to judge the harshness / noise levels, nobody else can measure that for you

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thank-you for the responses :)

I have noticed the Auris Hybrid is made here in the UK so I am going to try that too before taking the plunge. Nothing against the French (they manufacture the Yaris) but it would be good to keep my UK-£ in the UK, if possible.

I now have an 'Auris' Hybrid Icon on two-day loan. It is covered in Toyota advertising, but I don't mind that. So I now have an opportunity to assess it on my normal commute and to take it on the motorway. The cost difference is minor (at least to a business) so if I opt for a Hybrid I'll almost certainly choose an Auris over the Yaris. Being larger it should be more comfortable (longer wheelbase) safer in an impact and it is made here in the UK. The salesman setup the Toyota Touch system with my iPhone and gave me a quick demo. Very impressive.

Would have been interesting to see the level of response if you had posted the topic in the Hybrid/Toyota Prius forum. There are one or two topics there re the Auris Hybrid, so it may be worthwhile having a look.

Oops :blushing:

I'm new here. I'll post again in the other section when at home.

I think the Yaris Hybrid is one of the best Hybrids ive driven, and Ive had a few!

That's good to know, thank-you :)

Steve

Just finished my first day with the loan Auris Hybrid. I really like it! It is true at times there is a kind of disconnect between the accelerator and engine, and it appears to over rev at times, but the way the CSV manages the relationship between the electric and petrol motors is nothing short of amazing. There's some very clever technology in the Hybrid that appeals to my fondness of gadgets. It is surprisingly powerful too! Particulalrly when you select Power mode. But even without Power mode the car climbs to motorway speed quickly and confidently then cruises happily around 70-80 with the drive needle (the dial that sits where a rev meter normally sits) in Eco. It was quiet at speed too. Engine and road noise were well suppressed, there was some wind noise around the door mirrors, but nothing serious. The big surprise (for me) is there is plenty of reserve power at motorway speed. If you cuise at 70 you can still accellerate out of trouble. Just floor the pedal, the needle swings to Power and before you know it you are doing 80!

It is a comfortable car to drive and feels sure-footed with no fuss and no nonsense. The brakes feel a little 'different'. You can tell something is happening other than simply breaking. It isn't a problem and the brakes are definitely powerful enough, it just feels slightly odd if you are used to a regular car. I normally drive a car with manual gearbox so made the classic mistake of thumping my left foot on the brake! An orange light flashed on the dashboard to say the brake assist (I presume) had activated. The car certainly came to a very sudden stop! Fortunately I was back in town and nobody was behind me!

Some revewers criticise the dashboard but I like it. It is uncluttered, feels well screwed together and everything makes sense (except I couldn't find how to dim the dashboard lighting! I'm sure it is possible but I'll wait til tomorrow then explore in daylight). It should make a good family car, the interior feels tough and there are some nice practical features like a flat floor across the full width in the back and a third headrest for when Mum needs to sit between the kids.

I am viewing the Auris Hybrid from a business car perspective (I don't know how the sums add up for private purchase) so I am very pleased to have found a car that provides the savings associated with low CO2 emmisions without sacrificing power, comfort or convenience.

I have the Auris Hybrid on loan for another day but I am already confident I'll be placing an order. I'll need to be careful though not to be swayed into upgrading to the model with 17" alloys and all the toys. This is supposed to be about affordable motoring!

HTH,

Steve

Mods/admin, if it isn't too much trouble would you mind removing 'Yaris' from the thread title please and moving it to the Hybrid section.

Thank-you, and apologies for having changed model mid-discussion :)

Amended and moved as requested :)

The feel of the brakes was something I noticed on my Gen 2 Prius test drive and during the first few days when I got my car, I'd assumed that the feel must have been changed in the later Hybrids because I can't recall the last time it was mentioned. If it's anything like the Gen 2 Prius you'll get used to it very quickly.

... you'll get used to it very quickly.

I think I already have, by the end of day two it was the new norm :)

I have returned the loan Auris Hybrid. I really liked it so will be placing an order Monday. I am not a fan of low profile tyres (less feel, more road noise, more likely to damage expensive alloys and more expensive tyres) or tinted windows so will probably opt for the Auris Icon Hybrid with 'Comfort Pack' (auto wipers, auto headlights, auto-dipping rear-view mirror, smart entry, smart start, one touch electric windows and retractable door mirrors).

I was wondering why I was so surprised at it's performance. I think it is because I was seeing it as an electric car with petrol engine backup. I now think it is better viewed as a 1.8 litre petrol car with electric motor.

Steve

I think it is because I was seeing it as an electric car with petrol engine backup. I now think it is better viewed as a 1.8 litre petrol car with electric motor.

A lot of people do that. I often have to explain that my gen3 prius is a petrol car with electric assistance and I don't have to plug it in overnight.