Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Accident Breakdown

Chris Dance

The conditons for driving last night were not the best and I stupidly took a wrong exit road and hit a kerp on the drivers side front wheel in trying to correct my fault. The car seemed OK for a mile or so but then I realised I had a punture in the front tyre that had hit the kerb. Luckily I was able to pull off the road. In the darkness it is hard to read a Toyota club card even with the cars internal light on. Fortunately I had programmed the Toyota accident breakdown into my phone. The AA were brilliant; the operator gave me priority breakdown and promised they would be with me within one hour. Within the hour the front drivers side wheel was swapped for the space saver wheel. Only problem was on the drive home other drivers not realising your speed was restricted due to the space saver were not very happy with somone going 40MPH and less on a 60MPH road at night. Thee AA chap said it is best to have a spare wheel not the "tyre Goo" He also said it is amazing how many members cannot find their card following an accident. He said it was a good thing I had it programmed in my phone. I have put this topic on here to highlight the need to have Toyota Club numbers programmed in your phone and that I would not recommend driving a long motorway journey on the "space saver". Other motorists do not respect the fact you have to go slow. The space saver is not too good on bends in heavy rain either. Another suggestion is know where the tool is for the wheel lock nuts. I will be off to MR T this week for a new tyre, tracking, toe in etc. It was an expensive night out for my stupid error. Hope my experince may help others.

• Like 1

Had a similar situation a few years back, hitting a kerb and puncturing the front L/H tyre.

Put the space saver on and found it nightmare to drive - steering all over the place etc - this certainly makes you keep your speed down.

However I'de had enough of this and the next lay-by I pulled in and swapped the space saver with a rear wheel.

This made things much better & safer, so I strongly recommend doing the above if you get punctured on the front, that is if you have a spare wheel - on my modern Auris I don't !!!!! But that is another nightmare I've yet to enjoy!!

Good tip on the phone number though.

Perhaps it might have been a good idea to keep your hazards flashing while driving, to alert other drivers you had a problem.

Good tip to put space saver on back too.

Re AA - I'd only had my car a couple of weeks when one of the grandchildren left the interior light on all night - next morning, a Sunday, I found 12v Battery dead so called Toyota Roadside Assistance (had 1 year complimentary membership when I bought the car), AA man at my house within 35mins, took 30 seconds to start my car, then 30 minutes to talk about it.

AA man rated Prius (& Toyota) very highly indeed for reliability.That speaks volumes to me.

Very impressed with TRA, will certainly renew membership when due.

Perhaps it might have been a good idea to keep your hazards flashing while driving, to alert other drivers you had a problem.

Re AA - I'd only had my car a couple of weeks when one of the grandchildren left the interior light on all night - next morning, a Sunday, I found 12v battery dead so called Toyota Roadside Assistance (had 1 year complimentary membership when I bought the car), AA man at my house within 35mins, took 30 seconds to start my car, then 30 minutes to talk about it.

AA man rated Prius (& Toyota) very highly indeed for reliability.That speaks volumes to me.

It think that it is illegal to use the hazard flashers on a moving vehicle as it can confuse other road users as to the intentions of the moving vehicle

The Handbook on my Toyota actually recommends that the space saver should not be used on the front wheels and in the event of a front wheel puncture the rear wheel on the same side should be fitted on the front and the space saver on the rear

I am surprised that the AA patrolman did not carry out this procedure

• Like 2

Just checked my owners manual. The space saver tyre can be used on the front of a Prius but NOT in snow or ice conditions. I thought if this was not the case the AA man would have known as he seemed very competant. He warned to take it slow on bends because of the wet road conditions and to avoid heavy braking.

If you are being towed you can use flashers but I do not think they can be used if the car is being driven. I will have to find out what the legal situation is on this. The manual states they are to be used in a breakdown or emergency.

Hazard warning lights. These may be used when your vehicle is stationary, to warn that it is temporarily obstructing traffic. Never use them as an excuse for dangerous or illegal parking. You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights while driving or being towed unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed.
Law RVLR reg 27

Hmmm....think I'd rather take my chances with the law, than risk getting hit from behind by some idiot doing 80mph.

If you do have to drive with a space saver wheel on be aware that other drivers will not be very tolerant of your slower speeds. Duffryn has a point; ignore the law as it may be safer to use the 4 way flasher than get "cut up" or hit..

Mr T has booked our prius in for a front end safety check and probably a new tyre tracking etc tomorrow (Tuesday).

Re AA - I'd only had my car a couple of weeks when one of the grandchildren left the interior light on all night - next morning, a Sunday, I found 12v battery dead so called Toyota Roadside Assistance (had 1 year complimentary membership when I bought the car), AA man at my house within 35mins, took 30 seconds to start my car, then 30 minutes to talk about it.

It think that it is illegal to use the hazard flashers on a moving vehicle as it can confuse other road users as to the intentions of the moving vehicle

The Handbook on my Toyota actually recommends that the space saver should not be used on the front wheels and in the event of a front wheel puncture the rear wheel on the same side should be fitted on the front and the space saver on the rear

I am surprised that the AA patrolman did not carry out this procedure

AFAIK, space saver on the rear has always been the recommendation for any car, together with, no more that 50 mph and no more than 50 miles.

Also make sure the pressure is set right too (60 psi IIRC) it makes a heluva difference to the handling with it being a narrow tyre.

Just saw this earlier on Toyota's you tube showing how to use the tyre repair kit

I always preferred the idea of a spare wheel, but having read the above posts about handling being affected, might make me think again, if it was bad weather for example. I never realised the spare had to go on the back, so thanks for mentioning that :)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links