Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Accident But No Airbags Deployed

Allyjon

Hi

My t spirit had an argument with a tractor on Friday and lost. I'd checked the recall vin for airbags and it was one that needed checking. Thing is not one single airbag deployed on impact. Should I be informing Toyota? I bought the car because I was impressed with number of airbags and felt that it would keep us all safe in the event of a collision.

Any thoughts anyone?

Jpost-94086-0-37697000-1365939918_thumb.j

As far as I'm aware the sensors for the front airbags are behind the front bumper - sometimes in the radiator supports. - and the side air bag sensors are usually in the centre pillars. The system judges whether any impact is hard enough to deploy the airbags.

From the photo the centre pillars don't seem to have been damaged. The impact seems to be at an approx. 45 degree angle to the front nearside and largely above the bumper - which may not have been severe enough to trigger the front airbags.

It looks like you had a glancing side collision; Front airbags tend to deploy only on severe front-impacts where there is a danger of your head hitting the steeringwheel/console.

On a glancing impact, and airbag deployment would be more likely to cause an injury because you might not hit it flat on so they don't deploy.

Thanks for that....in all. Fairness I wasn't hurt at all...the car did its job and absorbed all the impact. I'd buy another of a similar age tomorrow. Just thought at least passenger side might have deployed at least.

Glad you're alright mate. Car looks a mess.

I had an accident like that once where the front corner got hit. No airbags deployed then either. This was in a nissan almera so looks like it might be a common thing.

I hear this same subject every couple of weeks, it's like people have a wish for their air bags to go off :lol:

Air bags DO NOT go off if they don't need to, and trust me, you don't want to be in the car when they do, its an awful experience

Air bags go off with a number of different methods, but the basic way is for sensors to detect the impact or a combination of sensors and deceleration. They are not designed to act as a soft cushion to prevent bruising and the likes, they are there to protect the head and chest from severe trauma. Air bags going off at low speeds cause their own set of injuries, so car manufacturers use a number of methods so they do not go off unless absolutly required to

The above picture shows a glancing blow with relatively minor damage (no structure / windscreen damage) just outer panels, the car can be repaired and you were not injured, you may have had abrasions/ burns / shock had the air bags gone off! :eek:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Yeah, the only person I know who's been in an air-bag deployed accident reckoned it was a bit like being punched in the face by a boxing glove :eek:

Just be glad it's considered a secondary/supplementary system here; In the US it's considered a primary restraint and and alternative to a seat belt (I may be wrong there) and inflates with much more force; A black eyes and a broken nose are very common results of an airbag deployment over there! :eek:

I think that has more to do with the size of the occupants and not the fact they dont wear seatbelts :D:

I'm not sure its related to their size. I thought it was simply because they deserve broken noses & black eyes.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links