Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Realistic Mpg On A 3.0 Invincible Auto

Richard Scott

I took delivery of a new Hilux Auto 2 weeks ago and its averaged 26 MPG solo and 18 mpg when towing over its first 1200 miles.

Is this normal as I was on the understanding these things were in the mid 30's?

I am a very steady driver!

I saw your post on HPOC Richard and have to say the mpg is about right for a 3.0 auto, not wanting to rub salt into the wound but I`m getting a comfortable 40mpg out of my 2.5 manual and yes I`m a steady driver too :)

I saw your post on HPOC Richard and have to say the mpg is about right for a 3.0 auto, not wanting to rub salt into the wound but I`m getting a comfortable 40mpg out of my 2.5 manual and yes I`m a steady driver too :)

Rub salt into the wounds...... More like a dagger through my heart :D

Rub salt into the wounds...... More like a dagger through my heart :D

Ya pays your money and takes your choice :bangin:

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I've had my HiLux 3-0D4D Auto since new on a '57 Plate, when I first purchased it I really did think I'd dropped a gooly. I was helping a friend bring in some caravans from Germany and It just wouldn't hold 70mph and stay in top gear whilst towing. I decided to fit a PowerBox ( as I'd fitted one to my Sorento and was pleased ) it transformed the Hilux, it now achieves ( according to the onboard computer ) Solo 60 mph = 1800 rpm = 40 + mpg / 60 mph - Towing 60 mph = 2000 rpm = 26 + mpg. I also now add 2T oil in my Diesel tank, this has helped quieten the diesel slap on cold start ups, cuts down the emissions and does seem to be running smoother, I have now clocked up 86,000 miles of trouble free motoring mainly motorway or autoroute with a lot of caravanning, so pleased with the car I bought it from my company after 5 yrs.

indoors.

Hi all,

I've had my HiLux 3-0D4D Auto since new on a '57 Plate, , I have now clocked up 86,000 miles of trouble free motoring mainly motorway or autoroute with a lot of caravanning, so pleased with the car I bought it from my company after 5 yrs.

Good to hear that the Hilux is as reliable as ever !

I`ve recenty changed my 40 mpg 2.5d to a new 3.0d Invincible and pleased to say its average is a suprising 38mpg ( brim to brim ) over the 1200 miles so far :clap:

Mine is no better. I have now covered 7500 miles and she averages 27-28 MPG sola and still 18 when towing. Toyota have had it back and say everything is ok.

Absolutely gutted!

Mine is no better. I have now covered 7500 miles and she averages 27-28 MPG sola and still 18 when towing. Toyota have had it back and say everything is ok.

Absolutely gutted!

It does seem low Richard but is comparable to others I`ve heard about and was one of the reasons ( the DPF is the other ) I didn`t buy one in the first place.

Some are thirsty for whatever reason, I dunno if its the driver, conditions or mechanical.

Are you measuring the mpg `brim to brim` or just taking the comp.readout ?

Mines a manual which does help especially if you are trying to drive economically

Hi Richard,

do you have the 3-0D4D ? as I'm surprised at that level of mpg, though to be truthful I didn't take too much notice of my mpg when first purchased ( company car/company fuel ) but since adding the PowerBox it really has IMO improved the performance and smooth running of the car. Now retired I take more enjoyment out of seeing how high I can get the mpg sooner than how quick she goes.

BTW : On another point, before this Hilux I had a new XC90 and a new Sorento both only did 21,000 miles on there first set of Continental and Hankook tyres, on the Hilux I changed my first set of Bridgestone Duelers at 45,000 miles and they will shortly be changed, I've now done 86,000 miles, needless to say it will be Duelers again.

indoors.

Absolutely gutted!

It does seem low Richard but is comparable to others I`ve heard about and was one of the reasons ( the DPF is the other ) I didn`t buy one in the first place.

Some are thirsty for whatever reason, I dunno if its the driver, conditions or mechanical.

Are you measuring the mpg `brim to brim` or just taking the comp.readout ?

Mines a manual which does help especially if you are trying to drive economically

I am measuring it properly brim to brim. Toyota did ask how i drove etc and i know everyone says they are a good driver but i have been driving for a living now for 18 years so im quitely confident it aint that. Especially if i can squeeze 30+ out of a discovery!!

What is puzzling is that when i drove the demostrator, i was getting 30+ and it seemed more powerful than mine. Again, they say not!!

Hi Richard,

do you have the 3-0D4D ? as I'm surprised at that level of mpg, though to be truthful I didn't take too much notice of my mpg when first purchased ( company car/company fuel ) but since adding the PowerBox it really has IMO improved the performance and smooth running of the car. Now retired I take more enjoyment out of seeing how high I can get the mpg sooner than how quick she goes.

BTW : On another point, before this Hilux I had a new XC90 and a new Sorento both only did 21,000 miles on there first set of Continental and Hankook tyres, on the Hilux I changed my first set of Bridgestone Duelers at 45,000 miles and they will shortly be changed, I've now done 86,000 miles, needless to say it will be Duelers again.

indoors.

Hi, I have a brand new 2013 3.0 auto invincible. I was thinking of a chip etc but i am worried about invalidating the warranty. Ive also heard of overheating issues when towing!

I have to do something because this is rediculous to be honest.

Hi Richard,

Please don't think I'm taking the mickey, but are you actually driving it in top gear.

After setting off down the M69 in mine on the maiden voyage I had to telephone the sales guy and ask if it was supposed to be doing 4500 rpm at 60 mph, he suggested I pushed the selector to the left. ( That's when the fight started ,LoL )

Why the hell don't they mark it on the left side of the column then, because to me initially it was obvious to bring it straight down which meant I'm driving mile after mile in 3rd. Hope you get it sorted and you are as happy as I am with mine.

indoors.

• 1 year later...

Hi Richard,

I know this post is a year old, I have only just read it and thought if you still had the Hilux you might be interested in the following.

We have about 60 of these at work. A mixture of 2.5 double cabs with truckman tops (about 40 2.5's) and 3.0 invincibles with truckman tops on (about 20 3.0's). All are manual transmission.

They all return 26-30mpg without exception.

The reason I didnt go for the 2.5 model is the wheels look really small on that vehicle, and also the 3.0 invincible is better to drive as you would expect.

The invincibles have all been reliable. A couple of 2.5's have had engine lights come on that required dealer attention.

My 3,0 invincible did 27mpg from new and improved after 40k miles towards the top end of the scale above. Perhaps it will break the 30mpg figure after 90k miles?

We had one auto on the fleet that was ordered for certain reasons and the chap who drove it said it was wasnt as responsive as the manual and was thirstier, I had no personal experience of driving it. I think he said it did 26mpg on a run.

When Toyota say you can get 36.7mpg and you get 10mpg less you think theres a problem, start to think the vehicle is crap and Toyota are less than trustworthy with their facts.

http://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/hilux-specs-prices (Hilux mpg figures).

This maybe of interest

http://cars.uk.msn.com/features/green-motoring/car-fuel-economy-the-truth-about-mpg

I have had a few of these double cab pickups over the last 9 years (various makes) and they have all returned around the same mpg. Whenever I get a new model its more powerful, quieter and more comfortable, has a few more bells and whistles than the previous make/model but the mpg is always about the same. They all seem to perform about the same off-road too (using the same type of tyres).

The Hilux is reasonably priced and robust, the engines arent very refined or powerful. Toyota push the headline of 171bhp but its the torque and responsiveness of the engine that counts and this is where the d4d in the Hilux disappoints even the 3.0.

Driving around town destroys the mpg (I expect more so with an auto) so if youre doing lots of driving in traffic then dont expect much, they are heavy!

I have towed a trailer that weighed approx 2500kg and the Hilux returned 17mpg. Same trailer towed with a Ranger 14mpg.

When off-roading and towing you will notice the clutch would benefit from being upgraded but for normal road and track use its fine, the 2.5's clutch doesnt suffer as much due to the shorter gearing.

Enjoy it for what it is, a robust, fairly comfortable multi-use vehicle.

Regards

Tony

• Like 1

Hi Richard,

I know this post is a year old, I have only just read it and thought if you still had the Hilux you might be interested in the following.

We have about 60 of these at work. A mixture of 2.5 double cabs with truckman tops (about 40 2.5's) and 3.0 invincibles with truckman tops on (about 20 3.0's). All are manual transmission.

They all return 26-30mpg without exception.

The reason I didnt go for the 2.5 model is the wheels look really small on that vehicle, and also the 3.0 invincible is better to drive as you would expect.

The invincibles have all been reliable. A couple of 2.5's have had engine lights come on that required dealer attention.

My 3,0 invincible did 27mpg from new and improved after 40k miles towards the top end of the scale above. Perhaps it will break the 30mpg figure after 90k miles?

We had one auto on the fleet that was ordered for certain reasons and the chap who drove it said it was wasnt as responsive as the manual and was thirstier, I had no personal experience of driving it. I think he said it did 26mpg on a run.

When Toyota say you can get 36.7mpg and you get 10mpg less you think theres a problem, start to think the vehicle is crap and Toyota are less than trustworthy with their facts.

http://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/hilux-specs-prices (Hilux mpg figures).

This maybe of interest

http://cars.uk.msn.com/features/green-motoring/car-fuel-economy-the-truth-about-mpg

I have had a few of these double cab pickups over the last 9 years (various makes) and they have all returned around the same mpg. Whenever I get a new model its more powerful, quieter and more comfortable, has a few more bells and whistles than the previous make/model but the mpg is always about the same. They all seem to perform about the same off-road too (using the same type of tyres).

The Hilux is reasonably priced and robust, the engines arent very refined or powerful. Toyota push the headline of 171bhp but its the torque and responsiveness of the engine that counts and this is where the d4d in the Hilux disappoints even the 3.0.

Driving around town destroys the mpg (I expect more so with an auto) so if youre doing lots of driving in traffic then dont expect much, they are heavy!

I have towed a trailer that weighed approx 2500kg and the Hilux returned 17mpg. Same trailer towed with a Ranger 14mpg.

When off-roading and towing you will notice the clutch would benefit from being upgraded but for normal road and track use its fine, the 2.5's clutch doesnt suffer as much due to the shorter gearing.

Enjoy it for what it is, a robust, fairly comfortable multi-use vehicle.

Regards

Tony

By any chance do you work for Telent?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links