Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Pressure Sensors

gaml d4d

hello Everyone,

Hopefuly there is a simple answer to this.

I've got a d4d 2.0 done 235,000 miles and runs like a dream.

Had a new cambelt last week, all was fine until 80 miles later when the oil pressure light came on.

It went off within a few seconds. But then after a few miles came back on.

Engine was due an oil change so I changed it just in case it helped, but it hasn't.

The warning light still comes on or flickers and then goes off.

The oil level light doesn't come on, there are no oil leaks and the engine doesn't seem to be burning any oil.

I've only done a few miles, and daren't do anymore until I find out what is wrong.

So questions, is it possible the mechanic did something wrong in changing the cambelt, it was a small local garage who are usually very good, but when I looked under the bonnet after the cambelt was changed 2 of the bolts on the power steering were not tight and I had to do them up myself!.

Is there a sensor that he could have damaged or not put back in correctly?

Or is it just a coincidence and something has happened to the oil pump?

Any ideas

Graham

the oil pump is usualy belt driven on most cars. either cam or aux... check the belt tention.... although i would of thought if its driven by the cam belt u would of known by now if the belt was too loose.

to check the tention of the belts find the longest point between two pullys and with firm pressure from one finger press in the middle of the point see if u get about 10 mm of deflection. sorry havent explained that very well if u dont get what i mean ill try and explain it better.

coop

I sounds like the oil pressue switch either is failing - check for oil appearing on the actual switch, or the connection is loose.

Hopefully it is the latter since it may have been disturbed during the cam belt change. The oil pressure switch can be changed and it is mounted very low down on the engine block.

I thought that the oil pump is usually driven directly off the crankshaft. I never have known an engine design that a belt drives the oil pump.

The water pump is usually belt driven (cam or auxillary).

The worst scenario is the oil pump failing and that is expensive.

• Like 1

Where on the engine is the oil pressure switch?

Hello,

I have attached a .pdf file for you and this explains everything, it's for the 2003> engine but should be the same.

The other thing that can cause this is a blocked oil filter or oil pick up pipe inside the sump that has a screen filter on it but like others said it's probably a poor wiring connection to the switch or the switch itself.

Pete.

LUBRICATION.pdf

• Like 1

The 2.0 Diesel also has an oil LEVEL switch in the bottom of the sump, these very often fail, it is most likely that light which is flashing and not the PRESSURE switch, either way it needs investigating just in case it is a bit more sinister

Kingo :thumbsup:

Great information on the lubrication pdf and I'll be able to check the pressure. Only problem is the picture showing the location of the sensor is, as is often in these pictures, unclear.

My engine is the 1CD-FTV. I can see from the picture it is low down on the block somewhere, but maybe I'm just useless, I can't figure out where!

Any clues ?

I just looked at the PDF and look for the oil filter and look to right the switch is on a the same housing.

Now I looked further down the pdf and stand corrected - this engine has the oil pump driven by the cam belt!

Many apologies Coop. I did say that normally the oil pump is driven directly off the crankshaft. You learn something new.

PRESSURE switch looks on the back of the block, distributor end, poss near oil filter??

LEVEL switch in the sump pan

Kingo :thumbsup:

Great information on the lubrication pdf and I'll be able to check the pressure. Only problem is the picture showing the location of the sensor is, as is often in these pictures, unclear.

My engine is the 1CD-FTV. I can see from the picture it is low down on the block somewhere, but maybe I'm just useless, I can't figure out where!

Any clues ?

Yes the pdf is for the 1cd-ftv and it's actually very clear where the oil pressure switch (on the part where the oil filter screws on to) is in the pdf so I have put this picture for you to save any confusion, click on my picture to enlarge it.

The oil level switch Partsking refers to is on the side of the sump.

Hope you get it sorted out soon, your engine should be fine as you have stopped using the car.

Pete :thumbsup: .

post-74463-0-36584200-1366056853_thumb.j

• Like 1