Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First Service Time - Dealer Or Independent?

Mr Jones

Hello!

A blink of an eye and my iQ is coming to 1 year old in a couple months time. It just gone 5000 miles and I've only done minor maintenance e.g. Check engine oil, water and filter - none of which needs changing yet. With under 5K miles, it shows I am a fairly light user too.

My question is, is it worth going to the Dealers to get it serviced and stamped or would going to my local independent which I trust and have good relationship with be a better choice?

My iQ is on PCP and in 2 years time, it's likely I'll have a family and go one up to a Yaris or others, so resale/handing it back is definitely on the cards. It screams going to the dealer, pay the higher pricing just for the stamp on my log book. What's the general thoughts here?

Dealer, £119 all in, how much will you save at Fred in the shed? B*gger all I suspect

Kingo :thumbsup:

If your dealer offers Toyota's Fixed Price Servicing - most do - (http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/generic_editorial.jsp?navRoot=toyota_1024_root&fullwidth=true&noLeftMenu=true&forceText=&edname=Owners-Service-Servicing&id=Owners-Service-Servicing&zone=Zone+Ownership&sr=Mall) the cost will be £119 for the first service. If you book it in make sure you ask for the Fixed Price Service.

If you have a two year PCP, I presume you will be changing the IQ before the 2 year service is due, so this may be your only service.

You can take it to your independent who will need to use Toyota parts in order to keep the warranty intact which may narrow the price difference (don't know).

Two drawbacks with using an independent:

1). if there is a warranty claim which may be affected by parts used/work done during the service, it would be down to the customer to prove the service was done according to the Toyota servicing regime.

2). the Toyota main dealer should be aware of any additional work required via Toyota Service Bulletins, and, if there is any additional work, should do that during the service. An independent would probably not have access to this information.

It is your choice - only you can decide whether any cost saving outweighs the drawbacks above?

In Holland it does not matter where you service the car... thus also a non Toyota dealer. But as long as it is done by an official workshop.

Here we get a free "help when the car needs help" service voucher/card...When it is done by the Toyota dealer. So kind of an "cheaper" AA card.

For the warranty, I have it done by the T dealer... also because I have an extra 2 years (in total 5) warranty...

Dealer, £119 all in, how much will you save at Fred in the shed? B*gger all I suspect

Kingo :thumbsup:

+1 for this.

I'm in a similar position and it hadn't even entered my head to take it to my local "trusted" independant.

It will go to my local Toyota dealer which seems a no brainer to me.

If your PCP finance is with Toyota Financial Services I think you may find that it is a condition of the agreement that the servicing is carried out at a Toyota Service Centre

This is because under a PCP you do not own the vehicle untill the agreement is fully settled and Toyota will require it to be serviced by themselves as it technically belongs to them until you have finished paying for it.

"You can take it to your independent who will need to use Toyota parts in order to keep the warranty intact"

Not strictly correct according to the Block Exemption regulations. The parts may either be "genuine" manufacturers OR of the same quality if non "genuine".

However, I'd still get them to use Toyota parts along with proof they have done so. Who decides that "pattern" parts are of the same quality? That could be a potential warranty get out.

Thanks for all the replies... looks like I'll go for the fixed price service. Not too far off from an independent pricing and another service after that before I'm looking to swap anyway. Thanks again!

A bit late and my answer concerns the 'wrong' country. However, I've had an interesting experience yesterday: My IQ (1.0 petrol engine) will be one year old next month and I asked two Toyota dealers in my hometown the price of the first service: A ask 83 €, B ask 180 €... (Presumably B pour in cold pressed olive oil. ;-)

• Like 1

I am sure Toyota has fixed prices... At least that what I see in the folder.... It's in Dutch... :disgust:

So I can see here that the costs would be... 133 euro or 143 euro for the CVT... Extra's would be: additive in the petrol / windscreenwiper fluid / little extra's.

Here: http://data.toyota.nl/home/data//ToyotaV8/prijslijsten/pdf_prijslijsten/onderhoud%20iQ.pdf