Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 Tractor?

grangie

Hi guys,

The days when I could wrestle tree stumps out of the ground are now long gone. I want to take some fairly small small bushes and low spreading conifers out of our front garden. I can cut the trunks no problem, but experience tell me that the roots will be awkward to dig out. Then I thought 'hang on a mo - we've got a beefy Rav on the driveway'. Anyway two questions for the experts on here.

1. Can the RAV handle it

2. If yes, any advice on where to attach the pulling chain/rope? Front or Rear, and what to fasten to. Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers everyone

Seemples Tony........attach tow rope to stump and to BACK of Rav. It is an important part though to leave tailgate fully open, so that the stump comes flyin' oot the garden right into the car and smacks ye on the back of yer heid....!!! That will teach ye for mistreating one of the nicest Ravs ever built......!!!

Big Kev ....LOL.....and remember to fold back seats down or leather may get torn by roots en route.....

• Like 1

Just done the Farlie drive... It had several tree roots and we dug out over 50 tonne of soil old drive tree roots and even the drains... :dontgetit: So hired one of those mechanical shovel things....

Not sure I would risk damaging the T180 yanking out roots..

drive006_zps32ec831b.jpg

• Like 1

I would think twice - once broke a very large tractor attempting to pull a relatively small tree stump out....................

A lot depends on leverage, how deep the roots are and how far they spread.

I wouldnt risk it either...
If you have an old spade or fencers type 'grafter' spade,cut the end off and weld it to a 5-6 ft length of scaffolding pipe.
You will be surprised how easily it cuts through the roots..and your toes if your not careful..
In my days as a landscaper it was a 'must have' tool.
As Dav & Archimedes said (I think) its all about leverage.

• Like 1

Just done the Farlie drive... It had several tree roots and we dug out over 50 tonne of soil old drive tree roots and even the drains... :dontgetit: So hired one of those mechanical shovel things....

Not sure I would risk damaging the T180 yanking out roots..

drive006_zps32ec831b.jpg

Can I make out a T180 Badge on the front there Charlie ;~)

You need one of these.

Image0701_zps10bf4704.jpg

Phil

• Like 1

PRE_2011-07-23-140953.jpg

Exactly why I said above to leave the back door open......Rob obviously got the roots right through the glass ....!

• Like 1

4runner-log.jpg

Tree fellers from County Cork injured.....

4runner-log.jpg

What happens when you lose your log book.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Think the consensus is its a no-no then. Charlie that piece of kit looks very impressive. Your good lady must have faith in you. Theres no way that my missus would let me loose with a beast like that on our garden - and those ornaments would definitely be off the window ledge. Have to say though that the RAV makes a fantastic van. Helped refurb my sons flat last year and it swallowed everything we threw at it no problems. As we've gone a bit agricultural thought I'd post this picture that I took at a steam fair a few years ago - that's what I call a tug of war. Which do think won? I'll post the answer tomorrow.

post-35076-0-66177200-1366061763_thumb.j

When I did my drive I hired an old knackered digger (or at least thats what arrived). It blew a hydraulic pipe off right outside the door and when they failed to come and fix it I did it myself after about 3 days of tripping over the flippin' thing.

post-30983-0-75158700-1366063489_thumb.j

post-30983-0-31816600-1366063546_thumb.j

It also ensured we trod oil into the house every time we came in.

Still, you can't make an omlette without breaking a few eggs and it eventually went from this;

post-30983-0-67940900-1366063639_thumb.j

To this;

post-30983-0-27804700-1366063716_thumb.j

post-30983-0-40827200-1366063849_thumb.j

post-30983-0-94930700-1366063893_thumb.j

Wow! Looks a brilliant job Anchorman! Thats what so fantastic about this site. You put a post up about pulling a couple of small trees out and straight away you've got members giving advice and showing thet not only do they know bout our RAV's but they are also experts in in civil engineering as well!! Hats off to Anchs and Charlie. Wonder if Big Kev can top that up in Scotlandshire? RAV's in to Mr T for 50k service this morning so hoping no are big surprises later. RAV4 owners are a really talented bunch. Could be an interesting thread for members to post up some of their big DIY projects (and disasters maybe).

I actually had quite a large privet hedge and we pulled it out with an old beat up Discovery (not mine I hasten to add). It had a low range box on it and it pulled them out no problem.

post-30983-0-02673400-1366093518_thumb.j

If you look to the left of the chain saw you will see what turned out to be 2 old stone gate posts buried in the dirt. They were eventually used for the steps up to the lawn. Man they were heavy.

I actually had quite a large privet hedge and we pulled it out with an old beat up Discovery (not mine I hasten to add). It had a low range box on it and it pulled them out no problem.

attachicon.gifIMG_0898.JPG

If you look to the left of the chain saw you will see what turned out to be 2 old stone gate posts buried in the dirt. They were eventually used for the steps up to the lawn. Man they were heavy.

Mmm! That looks about the size of shrub I'm talking about! I once tried similar with a discovery but it did'nt like it. Before you sat What?? should explain that it was one of the rare, and as I found out to my cost, very underpowered early 2 litre petrol MPi models. They didn't make em for long.

When removing stumps, not only not use the RAV to pull them, but move RAV as far away as possible!

I got a tree stump ground down once at edge of driveway and a flying stone hit the rear window .... Smash!

Not content with smashing a car window, the operator of said stump grinder went to the back garden to grind a couple of stumps in the lawn .... Smash! (New patio door now needed)

Oh .. The funny (?!) thing ... The owner of the company that sent this guy around knocks on the door end of day and asks if we would mind writing out a cheque for his full money for the stump grinding!

Seemples Tony........attach tow rope to stump and to BACK of Rav. It is an important part though to leave tailgate fully open, so that the stump comes flyin' oot the garden right into the car and smacks ye on the back of yer heid....!!! That will teach ye for mistreating one of the nicest Ravs ever built......!!!

Big Kev ....LOL.....and remember to fold back seats down or leather may get torn by roots en route.....

When removing stumps, not only not use the RAV to pull them, but move RAV as far away as possible!

I got a tree stump ground down once at edge of driveway and a flying stone hit the rear window .... Smash!

Not content with smashing a car window, the operator of said stump grinder went to the back garden to grind a couple of stumps in the lawn .... Smash! (New patio door now needed)

Oh .. The funny (?!) thing ... The owner of the company that sent this guy around knocks on the door end of day and asks if we would mind writing out a cheque for his full money for the stump grinding!

OUCH!! Presume you told him to stump off!!! (or worse). Yep. Big Kev was right.

"the stump comes flyin' oot the garden right into the car .........!!! That will teach ye for mistreating one of the nicest Ravs ever built......!!! :laughing:

OUCH!! Presume you told him to stump off!!! (or worse). Yep. Big Kev was right.

" the stump comes flyin' oot the garden right into the car and ....!!! That will teach ye for mistreating one of the nicest Ravs ever built......!!!

Sorry bout multiple entries - got carried away and dont know how to undo them.

Hiring a stump grinder is an alternative. The guy who felled the trees in my garden had one andit cleaned them out fine.

If we are talking about anything that requires a stump grinder there is no way I would attempt to pull it out with a road vehicle. I had a JCB in for that. He dug a great big hole round the root then had it out with the back actor.

Really nice job there Anchs...You could have worked for me anyday.
Always satisfying to know its all your own work..and you get a better job done too.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Think the consensus is its a no-no then. Charlie that piece of kit looks very impressive. Your good lady must have faith in you. Theres no way that my missus would let me loose with a beast like that on our garden - and those ornaments would definitely be off the window ledge. Have to say though that the RAV makes a fantastic van. Helped refurb my sons flat last year and it swallowed everything we threw at it no problems. As we've gone a bit agricultural thought I'd post this picture that I took at a steam fair a few years ago - that's what I call a tug of war. Which do think won? I'll post the answer tomorrow.

So who do you think won. 25 tons Warrior armoured personell carrier versus a vintage bulldozer. Bet your not surprised to find out that the dozer walked it with ease. Army guys were well hacked off and promised to return the next year with a Chieftain tank. Either could sort my bushes out though!

post-35076-0-33499600-1366129049_thumb.j

Ah used to go to agricultural shows all over the place to look at farm machinery, but soon got bored of it all..........suppose that makes me an extractor fan.....?

Ah know.......hard to believe I actually typed this......

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links