Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New 4.4 Tpms Question

paulmel

Hi,

Could anyone who has bought a new Rav (4.4), or has experience of one please help with my TPMS query as the experts, i.e. Toyota G.B. are struggling to give me what should be a simple answer.

Where are the pressure values for the tyres displayed?

The "Owners manual" on page 554 talks of initializing the monitors, i.e. getting the car to recognise the pressure in each tyre, but fails to mention where those values are displayed.

The "touch screen owners manual", on page 77 shows a picture on the touch and go screen, on the screen are 4 wheel icons with their corresponding pressure values underneath.

Can't seem to see anything being displayed, even after initializing the system, to show the current pressures in the tyres !

Anyone help me as Toyota are passing me from one department to another, giving me phone numbers to call that, when I try dialing, don't ring out !!!

Paul.

Is this facility not only available via the Touch and Go PLUS variant....?

Don't think so Kev,

Specification in dealers brochure shows TPMS is standard on all new 4.4's

Contacted dealer who supplied the car and he confirmed this, but hasn't got back in touch to tell me where the readings are displayed as yet.

The valves on the wheels aren't the ordinary looking rubber body type traditionally found, they look more like a metal "tube" type, which would leave me to believe they are the transmitter variant like ,I think, on the T180 4.3

Me no know then Paul....stumped......

You could try deflating a tyre a bit to create a warning situation and that might kick the display into showing the info - and that might give you a clue of how to get to that display ?

Kev is definitely right that not all touch and go systems are equal. Firstly, I would like to be sure that it is fitted and secondly I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a warning light. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out it has the transmitters but the vehicle has been produced without the rest of the system, i.e. the proper touch and go system. After all, TGB didn't seem to know that they were speccing cars without a space saver tyre at first. Why? Are bean counters deciding what the UK spec should be?

• Like 1

Somewhat hacked off am I that mine has no voice recognition, and no reading of texts facility.....bit penny pinchful IMHO.

Big Kev

Eee I remember when "Shira Touring" with push buttons was cream of the crop............

as long as you didn't turn left!

Are bean counters deciding what the UK spec should be?

Yes

Are bean counters deciding what the UK spec should be?

Yes

Stop blaming us for everything!!

Regards,

A. Bean Counter.

Somewhat hacked off am I that mine has no voice recognition, and no reading of texts facility.....bit penny pinchful IMHO.

Big Kev

You'd like my Nav Unit, Kev .... The voice recognition thinks every destination is "Golf Course" :D

Big Kev

????? what you on about mine does!

but then again that is a function of the phone not the "touche no go"

Gus

Kev is definitely right that not all touch and go systems are equal. Firstly, I would like to be sure that it is fitted and secondly I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a warning light. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out it has the transmitters but the vehicle has been produced without the rest of the system, i.e. the proper touch and go system. After all, TGB didn't seem to know that they were speccing cars without a space saver tyre at first. Why? Are bean counters deciding what the UK spec should be?

Isn't a TPMS system mandatory for all vehicles launched after Nov 2012?

Big Kev

????? what you on about mine does!

but then again that is a function of the phone not the "touche no go"

Gus

Touch systems do Gus but Touch and go peasant level in SR doesn't strangely enough.

........which is what confused me that working class folk like Gus can shout at their systems, but I have to annoy a finger to get results.....

weird, I have it on a touch and go on the XT-R but you don't on a SR with touch and go :bangin: I guess that means Kev will have to extract a finger to be able to talk.........

Worst of it is, Gus, ah always forget to take hankies, so end up having to pick ma nose......you should see ma Nav screen after 6 months..........

Worst of it is, Gus, ah always forget to take hankies, so end up having to pick ma nose......you should see ma Nav screen after 6 months..........

Ah, the famous 'SnotPLot' Nav system :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi,

Could anyone who has bought a new Rav (4.4), or has experience of one please help with my TPMS query as the experts, i.e. Toyota G.B. are struggling to give me what should be a simple answer.

Where are the pressure values for the tyres displayed?

The "Owners manual" on page 554 talks of initializing the monitors, i.e. getting the car to recognise the pressure in each tyre, but fails to mention where those values are displayed.

The "touch screen owners manual", on page 77 shows a picture on the touch and go screen, on the screen are 4 wheel icons with their corresponding pressure values underneath.

Can't seem to see anything being displayed, even after initializing the system, to show the current pressures in the tyres !

Anyone help me as Toyota are passing me from one department to another, giving me phone numbers to call that, when I try dialing, don't ring out !!!

Paul.

Did you ever find an answer to your very reasonable question Paul?

I picked-up my 4.4 yesterday - as you say the Touch Screen Owners Manual suggests that the Car functions may include both Fuel Consumption and Tyre Pressure information it appears that I have just the Fuel Consumption option.

As Don suggested, I suspect that we may well have just the little warning light (as I did on my old SR180). Page 553 of the RAV4 Owners Manual does say "If the tire pressure drops below a predetermined level the driver is warned by a warning light (-> P. 620)

Big Kev

+1 and same goes for map updates. I don' t think we get them free whereas T&G+ does. Car is definitely been specked by bean counters.

• Like 1

Tyre low pressure is indicated by a light on the dashboard, the one that comes on when ignition is turned on.

Found out that it is working by part deflating one of the tyres.

The reset button IS there, underside of the steering column. Like you, I also thought it wasn't there, but you need to get on hands and knees to spot it, a mirror comes in handy !!!!

It's almost directly above the brake pedal.

• Like 2

Paul,

Thanks ... so it is! One would have to be a contortionist to actually see it without the aid of a mirror ...

• 4 weeks later...

Tyre low pressure is indicated by a light on the dashboard, the one that comes on when ignition is turned on.

Found out that it is working by part deflating one of the tyres.

The reset button IS there, underside of the steering column. Like you, I also thought it wasn't there, but you need to get on hands and knees to spot it, a mirror comes in handy !!!!

It's almost directly above the brake pedal.

Hi there, i am new to this forum.

I am from Germany and just received a new RAV4 2013 in August this Year. I have the same Problem about the missing display for tire Pressure and searching for weeks the internet to get answers. My Toyota Dealer can't give me an answer, why i can't see this display.

Now i see, that here are several Users with the same problem all over the world :)

We have a german forum, where we (toyota users) discuss this problem, too. Interesting is, that one user, who got the RAV4 at the same way, has the tire pressure display. But why? No one could tell us, no toyota dealer, they told me in many phone calls, that this function they never have seen...

So, Paul, did you get this display by using the reset button or deflating one of the tyres? I hope, you read my post and can give me a hopefully good answer (for me).

Best regards,

Duude

Ok the TPMS is not the system available in the US. We have a very simple system with a warning light in the instrument panel. If you get a low pressure the half tyre symbol will illuminate orange.

Same in the US.

Seems the User manual was written before the final features were defined for the head unit.

There is no display for TPMS.

Only an idiot light on the cluster.

Everyone is hoping a firmware update to the hu will activate the "feature".

The info is available via the Tech Stream.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links