Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is Hilux Good As A Commute Car?

offnote

Hi,

I'm planning to get hilux 2.5 D-4D this month but would like to use it also beside off road driving as a daily commute car around 200km. Is it comfortable and efficient enough for such use? I guess parking must be tough.

thanks

Later models are more suited to road use than off road

One of the problems is the MPG is not good on the 2.5 and it is very under powered, they also wallow a bit if your journey involves twisty roads.

I suppose you have to think one vehicle cannot be suited to every type of motoring, there are going to have to be compromises

Kingo :thumbsup:

Later models are more suited to road use than off road

One of the problems is the MPG is not good on the 2.5 and it is very under powered, they also wallow a bit if your journey involves twisty roads.

I suppose you have to think one vehicle cannot be suited to every type of motoring, there are going to have to be compromises

that would be 2012 model DLX, I heard that on highway I can get around 29 mpg and in the city 23 mpg or so.

It's not that bad comparing to smaller SUVs I guess.

It depends what you want the car for! If it is better MPG you want then an SUV will be better

Why does it need to be a Hilux?

It depends what you want the car for! If it is better MPG you want then an SUV will be better

Why does it need to be a Hilux?

because it's indestructible ;)

and because I need a cargo space from time to time as well as off road, hauling capabilities and because I love the its look :)

Go for it Robert, I`ve a 2.5d Hilux and use it the same way you intend to and love it.

I dunno where my mate Kingo got his impression of the Hilux but mines cetainly got no shortage of power and plenty fast enough, in fact when it takes off its a rocket (well not quite haha ).

Mine also gets over 40mpg. :clap:

• 3 weeks later...

Go for it Robert, I`ve a 2.5d Hilux and use it the same way you intend to and love it.

I dunno where my mate Kingo got his impression of the Hilux but mines cetainly got no shortage of power and plenty fast enough, in fact when it takes off its a rocket (well not quite haha ).

40mpg, are you sure with an automatic?

i got good figures when having a 2002 hilux but that was a manual; http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/403078.html

40mpg, are you sure with an automatic?

i got good figures when having a 2002 hilux but that was a manual; http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/403078.html

Hi mate, how is it over on Hpoc ? I see nobodys concerned where I am :drunk:

40 mpg am I sure ????

Positive, in fact Tuesdays brim to brim check came out at over 43, filled up at just over half a tank and 345 miles showing on the trip it took 37 litres of V-Power `nitro`

There aren`t any auto 2.5d Hilux are there ? :dontgetit:

true; automatic does has the 3.0 engine when talking about a diesel :blushing:

why not using http://www.fuelly.com to do the calculation?

Not sure wot you mean .... are you saying the 2.5d isn`t a diesel ?

I`ve used Fuelly in the past but theres no need the figures speak for themselves if you can do the maths

no, the 2,5 d4d is a diesel engine for sure. what i mean is that there are petrol hilux around and they might have automatics in other engine volumes then the 3.0 d4d.

40 mpg sounds really impressive and encouraging, even smaller SUVs like Rav4 get way less.

How is that possible??? Hilux is heavier and bigger. Anyway mine will be definitely manual.

40 mpg sounds really impressive and encouraging, even smaller SUVs like Rav4 get way less.

How is that possible??? Hilux is heavier and bigger. Anyway mine will be definitely manual.

40mpg is of course non town and m25 traffic jam driving!

if you check out that link i posted then you will have good over all mpg figure.

also light right feed ;)

if do buy one come over to hpoc, they are now in devon for the weekend.

How do you know ? as a matter of fact your wrong again I`m rarely on a dual carriageway, motorway or even in in 5th gear, I do have `light feet`, stick to speed limits (can you do anything else in town) and don`t drive like a idiot ie like a normal human being.

The Hilux gets a `clear out` in the lower gears a couple of times a week.

I am a diesel additive and Shell V-Power user.

How do you know ? as a matter of fact your wrong again I`m rarely on a dual carriageway, motorway or even in in 5th gear, I do have `light feet`, stick to speed limits (can you do anything else in town) and don`t drive like a idiot ie like a normal human being.

not sure but i get i bit sick of this discussion as i had one my self and in the posted link you can clearly see that you will NOT get 40 mpg in town driving.

• Like 1

not sure but i get i bit sick of this discussion as i had one my self and in the posted link you can clearly see that you will NOT get 40 mpg in town driving.

Haha I can see `clearly` I do, however hard it is for you to believe !

END.

I have checked your link as well some other forums with mpg listing and indeed didn't see anybody getting 40 mpg... :(

I have checked your link as well some other forums with mpg listing and indeed didn't see anybody getting 40 mpg... :(

So what, I was telling you what I was getting :huh:

http://www.hpoc.co.uk/community/index.php?showtopic=36463&hl=

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links