Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Expected Life Of Avensis Exhaust &cat

sproutdreamer

My car is now 10 and exhaust looks ok and emissions test was good at MOT recently. Wondered what the general life of one of these exhaust and Cat is-are they stainless?

Not sure about the Mk2, but my 1998 Mk1 stil has the original exhaust and cat.

Same with me - Mk1 1998 original exhaust.

2005 D4D 162k miles, original exhaust and cat, just passed MOT (again!).

My mk1 had leak between join of rear section & cat at mot last year so have recently replaced rather than repair but could have left it

54 Plate D4d, 189k - Original Exhaust & Cat

• 5 weeks later...

my 98 1.6 appears to be still original too. So far, still going stroln @148k miles :-)

Just had mine done at 118,000 on a r reg 1.8

Has anyone done the old 'cats have 9 lives so seem to last forever' joke yet?

No.......But you will put the cat amongst the pigeons if you do!! ;)

Oh no! That's even worse than my comment. Hang your head in shame!

That was funny. :D

It seems like the '98s have the longest life cats and exhaust. Obviously. :thumbsup:

Catalysts and their 9 lives !!!

Mm talking about cats having 9 lives when I had a Cavy SRi16v with the Ecotec engine it blew a spark plug on the way to work,i actually mean it started running on 3 cylinders about 1/2 a mile from work so i opened the bonnett when i got there n found the ht lead dangling down the side of the block with the plug still attatched !!!

The plug had totally stripped not of the plug but the head so I had to take the head off and get an insert pressed in then a new thread cut.With the head off I had several thou skimmed off,cleaned up n reshaped the comb chambers,ports and throats with my dremmel,matched ports n manifold,degreed the cam accurately by measuring TDC directly off the piston with a vernier dial gauge rather than using the standard timing marks,advanced the inlet cam by 4 degrees,retarded the ex cam by 2 degrees and a whole host of other tweaks that transformed the engine.

The only issue I had was where the loom ran over and connected to the injectors,the wire clips that secured the connection were totally different from the 2.0 ecotec in the Vectra from a year later and the 2.0 redtop from a year earlier and Vauxhall said they couldnt order me any in.I'd lost 3 out of the 4 but decided that pushing the connection home n tie strapping the loom down would hold it just fine :)

Well it did,for around a week until i started and it wouldnt fire,after an inspection I saw only one injector connector was secure,the loom had lifted n pulled the other 3 out enough so there was no contact.

No problem,a few more tie straps/cable ties pulled tighter.Great stuff,until a few days later when I was barreling down the dual carriage way at 125+ mph (btw, don't condone that kind of speed.lol) and the loom lifted,the injectors were disconnected which cut the ignition and the last drop of injected fuel was sent raw down the exhaust and exploded with a huge band when in reached the cat :)

The whole guts of the cat were blasted in chunks out my shiney,chrome twin dtm 3 inch pipes and all over the carriage way leaving me with a huge empty resonator box where once I had a cat ~ all 9 lives lost in a fraction of a second :)

As for the life expection of the ex and cat on an Avensis,I've got the service history and reciepts for my 52 plate 1.8 vvti and there's no reference to any replacement of the exhaust.It looks good for a 10 year old car but it had only 78,000 on it when i got it and it's been well looked after and in fantastic condition underneath so I believe it's the original system.

I bought it in september,8 and a half months ago,it had 9 months m.o.t on it yet it was a complete shock when I discovered last week that my m.o.t's up in 3 weeks,twat !!!! :)

So,of course in the last week the handbrakes began to wear,the front passenger side calliper's began to lock on and it's blowing at the cat,though I'm not sure if it's got a hole or it's leaking at the joint.

I'll be checking at the weekend and if it's the cat n not just the joint btwn it and the downpipes then i'll weld it (i've stitched together rotten systems hundreds of times) cos it passed the emissions test with flying colours so it's still catalising properly.

I'll drop the system completely cos i disconnected the earth terminal while using the MIG cos one time i fried the ECU on a Micra I was welding a new sill on even with the Battery disconnected (should have disconnected the earth strap from the engine/gbox to body ~ it depends what earths there are btwn where you attatch the -ve clamp from the MIG and where you're welding but better safe than sorry.lol).

Anyway the point is a part from a slight blow the catalyst is doing it's job cleaning up the emissions perfectly after 10+ years & 87,000 miles,so is the exhaust system ~ which is excellent in anyone's book :)