Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alternator Removal 2005 D4D 2.0

sferg

Hi Guys,

I'm mid way through removing my alternator, as I think the bearings have given up - high pitch squeeling / graunching noise are the symptoms. I have got to the stage where the alternator is unbolted and disconnected, and ready to come out of the engine bay. However there is no room to pull it up past the block, and with the front off-side wheel removed I can't see a way of extracting it past the steering arm. I have disconnected the drop link to the anti-roll bar so this can be pushed down out of the way, but still no joy. I'm reluctant to start taking steering arm or the cross member off, so can anyone confirm if I should be able to remove the alternator without doing so, or is this wishfull thinking?

As an end note, the squeeling / graunching didn't seem to change pitch when I revved the engine, which I can't explain. Any thoughts? I concluded the alternator was making the noise as I removed the drive belt to the P/S pump and A/C pump and restarted the engine, but this didn't cure the problem. I then removed the drive belt to the alternator, and this did cure the problem. The only other component this belt drives is the alternator belt tensioner, but this seems OK.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Simon

• 1 month later...

My thoughts are the aircon pump pulley clutch has given up my 2.0 d4d avensis had the same symptoms the way I worked it out was to switch the aircon on ! The noise disappeared . I bypassed the aircon pump with smaller belt to save running the engine constant with aircon on which will work out very expensive in fuel costs hope this helps mate