Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Budget Tyres

Don't buy budget tyres mate spend that little bit extra on a good set they will last you longer.I bought budgets for my tr and with normal driving 10000 miles later both needed changing this time round I have p6 on the front they have done 5000 and still look new .

You gets what you pay for .

Chinese tyres don't offer the same performance levels as their European, Japanese or Korean equivalents. Both of these - BCT (Beijing Car Tyres) and Infinity - are Chinese.

Asda Tyres have some Marshals in your size for £79 each fitted - http://www.asdatyres.co.uk/order/select-tyres-and-savings - and these are Kumho's second brand (Korean).

Are you seriously considering buying tyres from eBay?

Premium brand tyres really are worth the extra money. Even then there can be big differences between the different tyres in their range in wet stopping distances.

Put it this way, EVO did a tyre test. In the wet by the time some Continental Sport Contact (either 3 or 5) tyres had stopped from 70mph, some Acceleras were still doing about 20 or 30mph. One emergency stop and those decent tyres can earn their keep.

Same with Eco tyres. They are crap at stopping!

Yes, generally premium tyres are worth the extra money - provided one's financial situation enables one to afford to buy premium tyres.

Looking at Blackcircles the Continental Sport Contact 5 are £107.87 each fitted.

In the most recent Which? test on this size of tyres, the Best Buys scored between 69% and 67% based on a combination of the following: dry braking, dry handling, wet braking, wet handling, noise, fuel economy and wear).

A test of wet stopping distances only provides a limited picture.

Non-premium tyres that were tested by Which?, with scores between 60% and 65% included:

1. Nexen N8000 (predicted life of 23,000 miles) @ 62%

2. Uniroyal Rainsport 2 (predicted life of 27,000) @ 62%

3. Falken Azensis FK453 (predicted life of 38,000) @ 61%

4. Kumho Ecsta Le Sport KU39 (predicted life of 31,000) @ 60%

As regards predicted life the best scoring Contis had a predicted life of 31,000 miles.

Any of the four tyres numbered above should provide a reasonable balance between cost and road-holding.

• 1 month later...

Hi there, Mytyres.com have great range of tyres.The guys are right premium all the way,if it is affordable.

Best of luck.

Allan

I can vouch for the Uniroyal Rainsports - been using them for about 20 months now. I've decided to give the GoodYear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2's a go at replacement time as they are the same price as the Uni's & have a better rating for wear & grip. They're also rated at 2 db's quieter ! Will be interesting to see how they go .......

P.S. I know these aren't budget tyres, but I do think they're worth the extra money (at approx £100 each) if you can afford them. Considering the size of the tyre (225/45/17) & the performance offered, I think they're pretty decent.

Finally got some "hifly" ones, both C rating in wet grip and fuel efficiency, £55 a piece, not to bad so ill see how long they'll last.

Made by Koryo Tyres Industrial (China) - one of their other brands is Linglong.

BF Goodrich Tyres have been part of the Michelin Group since 1988/90. Think the tyres for the European market are made in Eastern Europe (Poland, Romania, Hungary).

Mine were made in Poland and I find them very good, quieter than Continentals and give good grip and fuel economy. I'm averaging 43/44 mpg, I.6 petrol and the climate control is always on.

Here's a link about all sorts of tyres http://www.tyretest.com/summercar_tyres/bf_goodrich/g_grip/index.html

We had a Mazda Premacy where the OE Toyo tyres (a fitment specifically designed for the Premacy) only lasted 11,000 miles. Replaced the Toyo's with a complete set of Tigar tyres - also owned by Michelin and made in Serbia. Road holding was as good as the Toyo's and wear rate was better

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree with what has been said you get what you pay for - DO NOT buy Chinese tyres if you value your life, to be honest there is no excuse when you can get decent Kumho and Hankook tyres for not much more. Kumho and Hankook are both OE for lots of manufacturers including Ford, GM, Hyundai and VAG

That's very true - Volkswagen were fitting Hankooks to Passats & Polos quite recently & they are a very respectable brand.

Indeed Uncle Buck, I seen a brand new Volkswagen Jetta a few months ago with Hankook Ventus Primes all round - very good tyre and a late model Mondeo with the same tyres!

Kumho have also got a contract to supply tyres for the Polo - not sure which versions.

• 9 months later...

Looking for new tyres for my Auris as the existing ones are at 2mm.

Can anyone post a top 10 of the which? tested tyres or give us a screen shot? Don't know whether to buy Uniroyal RainSport 3 for £50 (untested according to the post on page 1 of this thread) or something better.

thanks

Unoroyals are v gd I had them before I went on to eagle asymmetrical 2 and the original ones were Michelin sport primacy all were good assym 2 has been the best though

Sent from my HTC One SV using Toyota OC mobile app

Can you confirm your tyre size - presumably yours are 205/55/R16V.

If they are as above, the tyres I listed at post 5 are a different size, so the test results won't be applicable to your tyre size.

frostyballs: yes my tyres are 205/55/r16 v

OK. For that size the three Which? Best Buys were:

Continental Conti PremiumContact 5 - score 70% Dunlop SP Sport FastResponse - 69% Goodyear OptiGrip - 69%

Others that came below these scores and were not Best Buys were:

Bridgestone Turanza T001 - 66%

Semperit Speed-Life - 65%

Maloya Lugano -59%

Pirelli Cinturato P7 - 57%

Hankook Kinergy Eco K425 - 56%

Kumho Ecsta HM KH31 - 50%

Yokohama C.Drive 2 - 50%

Uniroyal RainExpert - 50%

Scoring was based on dry braking, dry handling, wet braking, wet grip (straight), wet grip (bend), noise, fuel use and wear.

I think a top brand tyre is always the safest bet and would recommend that route every time if your budget allows. If, like mine recently, it doesnt....I would highly recommend Kwik Fits Arrowspeeds brand. They are great in wet and dry, ok not quite as good as a top brand, but better than an AVON

I found this independent review too.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Nexen/Arrowspeed-CP661.htm

Sometimes tyre manufacturers who are new to a market, enter at the budget end first to gain market reputation etc.

Kumho and Hankook did this, and now as well as supplying the likes of Hyundai and Kia as OE equipment, also supply tyres to VW (eg. Kumho for the Polo and Hankook for the Mondeo).

When we had a Mazda Premacy from new and bought a new set of tyres after a couple of years, tyre fitters were surprised the OE fitment were Toyo tyres, which at the time were budget tyres in the UK. In fact the Toyo tyre fitted was specifically designed by Toyo for the Premacy.

Some 'budget' tyre brands are owned by the premium tyre manufacturers - eg. BF Goodrich owned by Michelin, Barum by Continental, etc.

Not everyone can afford to run a 2013 car and not everyone can afford premium tyres. There are tyres on the market that are in the 'budget' sector which provide perfectly acceptable performance for the majority of users - in the above quoted Which? Tests the Maloya Lugano came 5th and gained better scores than the Pirelli and Yokohama tyres that were tested.

Yes there are poor tyres on the market, but with careful choosing one can get quality tyres that offer good performance within a budget.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links