Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Spark Plugs Fitted As Standard?

mic

Hi everyone

My 59 plate aygo has just covered 30k miles and due for a service. Dealer has said I need the Full+ fixed price service (£237). This includes a spark plug change. I was under the impression that the factory standard fit plugs were the Iridium type which do not require changing until 60k miles?

Does anyone know which type of plugs are fitted at the factory?

30k miles seems too early to change. Not sure?

Thanks

The factory fitted spark plugs are K20HR-U11. They are ordinary plugs and not Iridium. In these small engines, I doubt if Iridium plugs make any deifference besides the dent in your pocket. I have just replaced my oriiginal Denso K20HR-U11 with KH20TT, a newer plug sort from the Denso. They have a similar life time to the original ones but are claimed to me more efficient (notice I said "claimed" and not are!) They are very cheap about 10 quid for three plugs, bought it from E bay, UK.

Thanks for the replies both.

Three plugs for £10 seems a bargain. Based on this the cost of a Full+ seems pretty steep. Think I will do the whole lot myself.

Interesting post; my Aygo is due it's 4th service and I understand the plugs are due a change. Although this service is covered by the Service Pack, I'll query with the servicing dealer as to what plugs they intend to use.

Can't see iridium/long life plugs having any great benefit in a car of this type; but given how easy it is to change plugs (on most cars) I'd rather change them regardless at the 5 year/60K mark than not (i.e having them corrode into the head, break off when trying to remove etc.).

I changed mine to KH20TT after only 38000Km and the older original plugs were not too bad at all. The spark plugs are so cheap that it does not add a lot to the service cost. I guess removing the old one and !Removed! in the new one costs more than the plug itself. This is what I bought. By the way they are not platinum or titanium as this vendor claims!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-Denso-Platinum-Titanium-TT-Twin-Tipped-Spark-Plug-KH20TT-/321033183608?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4abf11a178

Here is the description about the KH20TT spark plug (see table).

http://interparts.pl/portal/zdjecia/DNEU%20Newsletter%20Jan-Feb%202012%20Eng.pdf

Well 4th year service completed by Dealer who confirmed Aygo (well mine at least) has standard plugs fitted and so they will be renewed [with standard plugs]. But to answer the OP, service book says standard plugs due change with 40k/4th year service. Given his is 30k/59 plate I don't think plugs need doing, especially if service is £230-odd (maybe be sneaky and DIY plug change?).

One thing that annoys me is that Toyota invoices don't list part numbers for products used (invoice just reads as a paragraph) as I would have liked to cross-reference the part they fitted.

No option of fitting Iridium plugs either (not that I would have paid extra for them...but you know it doesn't hurt to ask) which I found interesting. But anyhoo, one more service pack service to go and then it's decision time as to what we do with the Aygo as it'll be five years old this time next year.

The official change interval for the ordinary plugs are 60000Km (40000miles?) and with that sort of long change interval and the low cost of new plugs, who needs expensive Iridium plugs? As I mentioned earlier now there are two ordinary sort plugs for Aygo as per the Denson site, the old original Denson K20HR-U11 and the new Denson KH20TT. According to the Denson site the latter has a better sparking and flame spread characteristic. I did not notice any difference to tell the truth, but I have a peace of mind that I have new plugs and they are good for another 60000Km.

The main thrust of my original post was the cost of the full+ service which if, as you guys have stated, does not involve Iridium plugs then the cost seems rather excessive. The cost of all the parts (including plugs) from my toyota dealer comes to just under £60 (i.e. oil and air filter, pollen filter and plugs). Just need to add the oil.

I am not really bothered about paying over the odds just to get a stamp in the book. Not a big fan of the toyota fixed price servicing.

I mean, apart from the important bits (as above), who doesn't know how to check the horn and wipers!

On a particular level I think it's disgusting what franchise dealerships charge for servicing, when n actual fact it's mostly checking stuff that anyone with half a brain and a small degree of common sense could do for themselves.

Look at the schedules for ANY manufactuer and it's all mostly 'check' this/that. To charge £239 for a 'full' service on an Aygo type vehicle is inexcusable not least because this vehicle is so easy to work on and consumables should cost pence in the pound. I know it comes down to labour rates but these schedules appear to be more about justifying costs of service ('look at all the things we looked at') than actually doing something useful.

That's why I opted to buy the Toyota GB service pack with our Aygo, everything is covered and if it ain't, my dealership know I won't pay for it so they better not try to nickel and dime me.

With BMW and Lexus chafing circa £140 +VAT per hour you can see the attraction to add a whole bunch of 'visual checks' to a 'service' schedule as it makes money. I can't understand how an today can cost more to Service than my E46 330 did back in 2004!

Service Packs are a way forward IMHO for peace of mind.

Agree with ihpj regarding silly checks that increase the service cost. I paid about 400Pounds equivalent for the service of my BMW 3 series and besides the oil and filter change most of it was the "inspection" of this and that (which any one with good eye sight and a flashlight and a voltmeter could have done). This seems to be the money earner for the dealer workshop. Next time, I do it myself or I'll chose an independent garage that will do it for half the price.

my next service at mercedes is £189 for a basic service but at Halfords it would cost £141 so not much more considering i get a free courtesy car ,a free wash and valet and 12 months free roadside assistance and the 3 pointed star on the receipt so better for selling later on,next years will be a lot dearer i know.

Just prior to Toyota introducing the fixed price servicing I got my RAV4 done for its 60k miles service and this cost me £250 which included just about everything - brake fluid change and oil change in both front and rear diffs. The same service now costs £229 but when you add brake fluid and differential oil change it comes to £346!!

Fixed price sounds great to those who are clueless about what needs to be done but I guess savvy folks on this forum can see straight through it and its obvious how much we are being ripped off.

Hope its a fine bank holiday as I will be getting my hands oily.

mercedes have 2 rates service A £189 and service B £299

the service B is plus incidentals

service 2 , 6 , 10 is £299 + brake fluid + pollen filter + air filter

and services 4 , 8 ,12 will be the above + spark plugs (£115 fitted) + fuel filter cetain models (£400)

i had a quote for the 4 yr service and it was £900 because of the fuel filter is a bugger to get to

• 7 years later...
On 5/1/2013 at 10:19 PM, ihpj said:

On a particular level I think it's disgusting what franchise dealerships charge for servicing, when n actual fact it's mostly checking stuff that anyone with half a brain and a small degree of common sense could do for themselves.

Look at the schedules for ANY manufactuer and it's all mostly 'check' this/that. To charge £239 for a 'full' service on an Aygo type vehicle is inexcusable not least because this vehicle is so easy to work on and consumables should cost pence in the pound. I know it comes down to labour rates but these schedules appear to be more about justifying costs of service ('look at all the things we looked at') than actually doing something useful.

That's why I opted to buy the Toyota GB service pack with our Aygo, everything is covered and if it ain't, my dealership know I won't pay for it so they better not try to nickel and dime me.

With BMW and Lexus chafing circa £140 +VAT per hour you can see the attraction to add a whole bunch of 'visual checks' to a 'service' schedule as it makes money. I can't understand how an today can cost more to Service than my E46 330 did back in 2004!

Service Packs are a way forward IMHO for peace of mind.

Quite so!  I bought a one owner car, with full history, but have just changed the plugs and am pretty certain the ones I removed were the originals. Denso K16HR-U11.  10 years and 135,000km!

I spent a summer working in a VW concession and they systematically charged for fitting new plugs at every service but NEVER fitted them!

I know, as I was working in the parts dept....best DIY.

DSC01432.JPG

DSC01433.JPG