Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4 D4D Poor Starting When Hot.

Rothers6

Hi all, We've had our 2004 Rav 4 d4d 2.0 diesel for approx 18 months and a great car it is too! Except for this random fault which is: vehicle will start from cold every time,if started and driven for any decent time then switched off it will reluctantly start and sounds as though the battery is poor. For example we drove from here in Cornwall to London without stopping,pulled over for a quick toilet break(5mins or so) come out and it will not start??? So all fuel is flowing,battery fully charged on run of that distance and we have to wait 10 mins or so for it to cool down. Vehicle does not overheat and has been serviced at every interval so not a filter issue..... Any thoughts would be appreciated as this follows no mechanical sense.

This may sound really silly but try starting your car without touching the clutch, I had the exact same problem of my 2004 Rav4 d4d diesel not starting after the engine has fully warmed but we've found that if we don't touch the clutch when we try to restart it, it starts without any problems. I hope this helps as I had the problem for over a year and tried the service, new Battery, starter motor etc etc and just by chance my husband tried without touching the clutch and now no problems :cowboy:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, a little update from Norfolk. We replaced the blown turbo in our rav with a unit from Turbo Technics. 200 miles down and so far so good. No update to the hot starting issue. Touch wood it hasn't resurfaced. But I'm a realist, nothing has really been done to cure it. So I'm just waiting for it to recur. When it does I'll likely try replacing the SCVs, and work from there.

Oh my word.....

Pressing the clutch ?

Well I had my SCV's changed about 4 years ago along with all the other valves , VSV , EGR etc etc.

It now pulls and drives the best its ever done.

Mines still running great since Battery and turbo done, mpg is now at 45.3 and climbing on motorway journeys and it pulls better than it ever has before.... Now on about 135,000 miles...

Mines still running great since battery and turbo done, mpg is now at 45.3 and climbing on motorway journeys and it pulls better than it ever has before.... Now on about 135,000 miles...

Yes their great vehicles Mike , i'm outstanded that its possible they can do 200'000 miles provided they're looked after.

Yours on 135'000 , mine on 130'000. I smile each time I jump in mine , I've also just cleaned my yellow headlights with toothpaste , amazing !!!

• 1 month later...

Sorry to go off topic.

How did you clean the headlights with toothpaste? What type of cloth or scotchbrite did you use?

Just starting to look into the same problem on my girlfriends sisters Rav 4, not liking the though of it tbh.

But it started after installing a new DMF clutch (a garage done this btw)

• 2 months later...

Hi all, first time as a member but use this site a lot rather than go to toyota whom seem to get it wrong quite often! Anyway, had this poor hot start problem, so after reading everyone's post and getting around the problem by using an inverter that started it each time when hot, I did the following

*Cleaned my ERG valve, mostly because I had a turbo replaced last year and not sure if it was cleaned,

*Cleaned up all of the earth connections,

* Had Battery tested at Halfords and only showed 253amps at starting, the book recommends 700 for the rav. So I took the 510 amp Battery off of my Surf and BINGO ! It stats each and every time.

So I suggest try this first.

By the way, I phoned Toyota to ask them and all they said was don't take any notice of the website and each car is different so we can't tell you over the phone book it in, KACHING!

Sorry to go off topic.

How did you clean the headlights with toothpaste? What type of cloth or scotchbrite did you use?

Just starting to look into the same problem on my girlfriends sisters Rav 4, not liking the though of it tbh.

But it started after installing a new DMF clutch (a garage done this btw)

Hi.....re cleaning headlights.

Just literally put any toothpaste on a clean lens..a decent finger sized amount , swirl round and with a circular motion....firmly all over.

Use a smooth cloth , or sponge.

If you want to really do it well , use an old toothbrush and really rub it in.

Then just rinse off completely.

More or less crystal clear lenses should appear.

So simple.

And it smells minty fresh too :lol:

How right you are he heeeeee

I myself must remember to invest in a much higher ampage Battery for this winter.

Hopefully that will make my engine turn over faster on these woeful hot starts.

• 3 months later...

had similar problem on my rav4 03 d4d recently fuel pipe came off pump in tank had this put back on no more hot start problem Maybe problem in tank im no expert though.

I've just invested in an yuassa 830 cca amp Battery.

Seems to make it turn over quicker and fire easier when hot , but it's still not right.

Hi

You are very lucky with your RAVs we have had 2 diesels, have to say very very disappointed with them. The first one failed at 125,000 miles, apparently ECU problem, but toyota could give no reassurance, wanted to also change suction control valves, the bill would of been colossal. Stupidly got another as my wife loved them; more problems; at 60,000 miles replaced suction control valves, still no cure to poor starting, spent a fortune, Toyota useless, got rid of it and bought a diesel golf. I am afraid i would never go near one again. Both cars were very well serviced and well cared for.

Mines since developed a very bad noise on cold which can be echoed by cupping your hand against the oil sump. Not sure what that one is, like a really fast clicking / catching sound that increases with revs.

Coupled with the hot start issue which is now worse than ever, we will be getting rid soon. It's not worth it anymore and will cost more than its worth to sort. It has been a work horse though I'll give it that.

I've had mine 10 years now and covered 100,000 miles in it.

Over the years. ....

New clutch & flywheel, new suction control valves , new starter motor & turbo.

plus a replacement rear wheel bearing recently.

Spent about £4k but it's cheaper than another vehicle and now set up for 200'000 miles.

I wouldn't change it for the world , as it's still lovely to drive and in great condition.

It's now covered 140'000 miles.

• 1 month later...

Hmm, is that an easy thing to check or did you have a garage check it?

Cheers

had local garage check.

Sad to say rav is now gone, replaced by an 11 plate 163 diesel awd Ford kuga with every feature / extra included, the rav just wasn't worth it anymore after it suddenly developed too many problems to economically repair against its value.

Have to say it was good while it lasted and served it's purpose well.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I'm new to this and I know this is an old thread but I was hoping for a little help,

I have the same problem with my Rav4 2003. I recently cleaned both the MAF and the EGR valve which ironed out the other problem I had with performance and my fuel filter was recently changed but on longer journeys if I stop the engine it struggles to start as though the Battery was low. Now if I get out and press down on the black plunger on top of the fuel filter it will start no problem. I was wondering is there any way I can address this myself or will I have to bring it to a garage?

Gav

possibly a new fuel filter housing,sounds like its letting it flow back to the tank.failing diaphram.

• 1 year later...

Hi, perhaps coming a bit late to this party, but...I've had bot the hot start and sluggish under acceleration problem, the hot start...my local garage changed the starter motor which didn't really fix things, however I have been systematically trying to sort the acceleration so...new fuel filter-no improvement, new scv-no change, new turbo boost valve-nope, cleaned the EGR.....still sluggish going up hills, but much to my surprise and completely unexpectedly the hot start is fixed!!! 

I've also just cleaned the turbo boost sensors which seem to have improved things on the acceleration front but not yet 100% convinced by this. 

hope this helps

See how free moving the actuator is, if it isn't consider cleaning the control ring.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to jump on this but just wondering if anybody can help me out with my 2005 rav4 diesel.

i get hot start issue and goes in to limp mode between 2500/3000 revs (fault code (1251 turbo boost pressure sensor) I’ve not replaced yet.

so far it had new starter/alternator Battery,new turbo, timing belt kit water pump,new seals on injectors,new scv’s new fuel filter/ air filter

anybody any ideas thanks for taking time to read cheers David 

• 5 months later...

I’ve just bought a 54 plate Rav4, lovely car, having that dreaded hot start issues, read this thread throughly & still no idea what it is, it seems the be different from car to car, mechanic plugged in his £4,000 car diagnostic machine & came up with maf sensor, so going to start with that, the pain in the ***** for me is I use it for deliveries so really can’t sit around waiting for it to cool off, if that fails I’ll replace the Battery (even though it’s just had a new 1)