Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Wiper Switch

sproutdreamer

My rear wiper is acting up. Sometimes it will not switch from wiper to off and goes into intermittent mode but sometimes intermittent with a pause mid stroke. Eventually I can get it off by repeated trying but something is wrong.

My guess is the switch and being weekend not had time to check the price at local dealer-but probably something horrific.

Questions: is it straightforward to change and is my guess that it is the switch rather than some other component likely? I would hate to dive in and change the switch only to find some other component is faulty.

I do not find the Haynes circuit diagrams at all easy to follow!

It seems that the relay is combined with the motor and is known to stick causing the motor to stay on. There are plenty of these on e bay but all are the 2003 onwards model but my car is the last of the 2001-2003. My query is whether the later rear wiper motor will fit the earlier models. Any ideas from experts out there in Toyotaland?

I had the same problem on an old 2003 Vectra and when i asked the local V dealer, they told me that this problem its just the start for the death of my ECU. When i checked the forums more V owners told me the same

• 2 weeks later...

Well I found the problem with the rear wiper-when I took it off it dripped rusty water and on removing the gearbox drive plate it was full of rusty, gungy water and emulsified grease. Still not sure whether the drive had had siezed or the relay/PCB failed with water ingress. The O ring at the wiper shaft end did not look particularly worn but no other way the water could enter the motor gearbox like that. Some Toyota part prices ar just silly eg £127 for a rear hatch rubber seal I was recently quoted and am not hopeful for a new one so it looks like a tour around the scrappies!

Just had the same problem with mine. Took it apart, and cleaned it all up. Regreased it, and put it back together. works fine again.

as u have the thing out cant u test the signal wire to the relay with a volt meter least that way at least u would get an idea if its the relay sticking or the switch. the fact the mechanisum is rusted up is neither here nor there for ur origonal issue that would either work or not. the mechanisum will only operate when the relay is engaged.

hope this helps

coop

Well at £241 from Mr T for a new motor I will refurbish mine as best I can. I think the problem was the back of the drive gear which has the copper strips to pick up from the elecrical contacts was very cruddy and oxidised soIi think that was the problem with the intermittent working. So all cleaned up and working ok but before I fit it back to the car i need to replace the O ring seal at the wiper end of the shaft. My problem is that it is really strange size neither metric or imperial. It appears to be approx 1.4mm cross section but the shaft diameter is 9.98mm and is unworn and the O ring is a slightly loose fit on the shaft. There is also a groove in the shaft but this is far too small to take the O ring which fits into a small rubber holder.

I am a little unsure as to whether there is an O ring missing from the assembly and how to ensure that the motor does not fill up again with water.

I appreciate this sort of job is one of those fiddly little things that is not often done but I am hoping that one of the Toyota experts on here can advise me about this motor water seal assembly?